Jabberwocky
Reactions:

Post by Jabberwocky »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Do L Chat threads count ? :bertha:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Sure, anything that's written. Heck, ingredients on the back of a choco bar will do... if that's what you into

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Sure, anything that's written. Heck, ingredients on the back of a choco bar will do... if that's what you into
Ingredients
Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Skim Milk, Lactose, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Pgpr, Artificial Flavor), Sugar, Enriched Wheat Flour (wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Palm Oil, Corn Syrup, Skim Milk, Dextrose, Less Than 2% - Salt, Cocoa Powder, Soy Lecithin, Food Starch-modified, Baking Soda, Artificial Flavor. Allergy Information: Contains Milk, Soy, And Wheat. May Contain Peanuts.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

#Indigrients

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

La Vie de Marianne (Marivaux)

AlexCabot
Reactions: 31

Post by AlexCabot »

I have been reading a bunch of the "The Cat Who...." mystery series lately. I cant remember the title of this one cause I left it at work but its the one where a potato farmer goes missing.

Anyone have any good female lead mysteries to recommend?

I had read some of the First Ladies Detective Agency series and liked it and was thinking about reading Women's Murder Club series cause I had seen the TV show and enjoyed it. Also read a couple of the books with Alexandra Cooper (who inspired the character Alexandra Cabot). Also read the books based on Murder She Wrote show.

I have been on a mystery kick so would love some suggestions.
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Cat Who series are so much fun to read!

Lisa See wrote a good trilogy about a female detective. Some parts were a bit graphic tho.

AlexCabot

Post by AlexCabot »

Guest wrote:The Cat Who series are so much fun to read!

Lisa See wrote a good trilogy about a female detective. Some parts were a bit graphic tho.
Is this the Lisa See you are talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_See

I like the Cat Who books a lot but since I dont read them in order (just as I find them at used books stores) I sometimes get lost as to the timeline. Especially since I think she wrote the books over like 30 years or something.
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

AlexCabot wrote:
Guest wrote:The Cat Who series are so much fun to read!

Is this the Lisa See you are talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_See

I like the Cat Who books a lot but since I dont read them in order (just as I find them at used books stores) I sometimes get lost as to the timeline. Especially since I think she wrote the books over like 30 years or something.
Yes! Flower Net is the first of the trilogy. Lisa See's Snow flower and the secret Fan is also an excellent read.

Don't worry about the Cat Who books, just too many to keep track! lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The story is told in reverse chronological order. While the author acknowledges that Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr Ripley, with some other works, inspired this book, I think the former story is drawn heavily upon. I just don't now how "original" I would call this book.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

On the Happy Life-Seneca

AlexCabot

Post by AlexCabot »

Guest wrote:Yes! Flower Net is the first of the trilogy. Lisa See's Snow flower and the secret Fan is also an excellent read.

I stopped by my local book store (support local!) and asked about this trilogy. The main guy who owns it knows me pretty well and said he would ask around and see if any of his suppliers had used copies floating around.

The Cat Who book I just started reading was really confusing me. It might actually be the first one cause it starts with Qwill living in the down below big city and going up to visit his "aunt" who I know later dies and leaves him a fortune.

While I was at the book store the guy, cause he knows me, asked if I wanted a used copy of The Price Of Salt they just got in. Has anyone read it? Is it different from the movie a lot? Is the ending happier?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

AlexCabot wrote:
Guest wrote:Yes! Flower Net is the first of the trilogy. Lisa See's Snow flower and the secret Fan is also an excellent read.

I stopped by my local book store (support local!) and asked about this trilogy. The main guy who owns it knows me pretty well and said he would ask around and see if any of his suppliers had used copies floating around.

The Cat Who book I just started reading was really confusing me. It might actually be the first one cause it starts with Qwill living in the down below big city and going up to visit his "aunt" who I know later dies and leaves him a fortune.

While I was at the book store the guy, cause he knows me, asked if I wanted a used copy of The Price Of Salt they just got in. Has anyone read it? Is it different from the movie a lot? Is the ending happier?
The bookstore should find them pretty easy since the trilogy got a fresh release a few years back.
The Price of Salt movie stays pretty true to the book but I still recommend reading it. It's the same author who wrote the Ripley series. Just make sure it's not the edition released by Amazon.

blooe
Reactions:

Post by blooe »

Wonder - great book, easy read, do it if your eyes need moisturising

We're all completely besides ourselves - writing style is interesting, good balance of humour in a serious story

Guest-123
Reactions: 0

Post by Guest-123 »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

L chat

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Middlesex- Jeffrey eugenides

Guest-123

Post by Guest-123 »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Middlesex- Jeffrey eugenides
I read this book in a matter of like two days, I was so enthralled. Such a great read. The writing style was so unique, I couldn't put it down. Godfather 2 vibes with flashback and different perspectives.

Guest-123

Post by Guest-123 »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Master and Margarita

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

This article in the Newyorker is written by Molly Ringwald. John Hughes May have written with sensitivity but he had blind spots such as the treatment of women and those who are not white specifically Long Duk Dong. It shows how a person who was also responsible for a piece of art, Ringwald herself, is dealing with the conversations surrounding it especially in light of recent events and how erasing the history of the movie could be detrimental too. If you erase the problematic aspects of the writing, you also erase the problems it created. Here is Molly Ringwald acknowledging the problematic aspects of John Hughes's films as well as celebrating his poignant writing of teenagers, showing the reader how far we've gone and how far we need to go.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-...tty-in-pink/amp

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

OLD school butch/femme short stories...hot!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

This article on Bret Raston Ellis:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/bret...to-donald-trump

Oh my god, he was right to say that he doesn't want to talk about writing because he's not smart enough. I wouldn't go as far to say that he's stupid, but he can be perceived as dim-witted here.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
Was not that impressed with this but I've felt how evil one character is. I don't ever want to meet someone like that. I've yet to see the movie.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

A book about 'natural farming'. Techniques that are in accordance with the natural environment and not to disrupt its balance.

It has four principles:
1. No cultivation - it means no plowing or no turning of the soil, because the eart cultivated itself naturally by means of penetration of plant roots, activity of microorganisms, small animals and earthworms.

2. No chemical fertilizers or prepared compost.

3. No weeding by tillage or herbicides.

4. No dependence on chemicals.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
Was not that impressed with this but I've felt how evil one character is. I don't ever want to meet someone like that. I've yet to see the movie.
Not OP. But, Rebecca is one of the most gorgeously written books I've ever read. Really great.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

1421: When China discovered America

on Chapter 1 and I am thinking of bailing out. I thought this was a serious book but reading reviews, it looks like the book doesn't actually present hard evidence of this. The theory is a bit out there with claiming they had a settlement in Greenland. Like I said, I just started but if this is true then I may not finish this.

Good thing its a library book :P

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

A lesbian forum called The L Chat

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Life of Emily Dickinson

Mythos - Stephen Fry

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Everything You Need You Have By Gerad Kite

AlexCabot

Post by AlexCabot »

Hit up the used book store today since they were having a nice sale. Some of these I had read years ago but it will be nice to read again. The rest are part of series I have read some of the books of already. All either by women or focusing on female characters.

Can wait to start reading them

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Sense and Sensibility

This is making me sad! The father dies and almost leaves them with nothing and they're at the mercy of the older brother for their finances. Jesus.....just what I goddam need!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Daughters of Darkness by VC Andrews

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

You Can Come for Free At Home - Natalie Wynn

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

"Two Dark Reigns" by Kendare Blake it's the third book in a trilogy. Excellent books I'd highly recommend especially if you want books that are focused on female characters. The books are basically about triplets that have to kill eachother to be crowned queens. All have different magic skills; poisoner, elemental and a naturalist.

I read the first two books within about a week!

Isotopes
Reactions: 33

Post by Isotopes »

I'm working on Andre Norton's The Five Senses Set. I got books 2-4 cheap on BookBub, read 2 and 3 and then went back and found the first book, which I'm reading now. I'll finish off the final two once I finish the first book.

These are D&D type fantasy fare, and follow a pretty standard formula of magical girl on hard times is apprenticed/mentored by an older wise woman and must fight an evil magical foe of one sort or another (male or female). Each of the novels is a standalone. There's a male character love interest but that literally comes in at the very end, and his role is mainly to help the female protagonist defeat the villain with a complimentary skillset.

Light, fun summer reading.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm currently reading part 1 of the omnibus of George Perez's run in Wonder Woman. I've just finished The Girl in the Spider's Web. The movie with Claire Foy took many liberties with it. I recommend reading this if you're a fan of the Millennium trilogy and see how the new author is trying to get into writing for Lisbeth. It was consistent with Stieg Larsson having Mikael Blomkvist as a supporting protagonist, but I liked how David wrote Lisbeth, it seems that the book gets way more interesting if she's in the scene. Regardless of who the new writer is, Lisbeth Salander is such a compelling character to write for and the moment feels too short and not enough whenever she appears. I'm reminded of how Emerald wrote for Villanelle of Killing Eve, she may have had difficulties with the story and how to answer questions that lingered with the audience but Villanelle as always, has been the compelling character even with a new writer at the helm.
Anyway, after Wonder Woman I'm going to start reading Circe by Madeline Miller.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The colour of magic
Terry Pratchett

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Complete Patrick Melrose Novels by Edward St. Aubyn. I've seen the mini-series, too, with Benedict Cumberbatch in the title role.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2436807...-melrose-novels

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:The Complete Patrick Melrose Novels by Edward St. Aubyn. I've seen the mini-series, too, with Benedict Cumberbatch in the title role.

Wow, this is in my backlog. I've read the first book and I'm on the second. I love the mini series but it's difficult to watch.

"Cruelty is the opposite of love, not an inarticulate expression of it." - Patrick Melrose

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:The Complete Patrick Melrose Novels by Edward St. Aubyn. I've seen the mini-series, too, with Benedict Cumberbatch in the title role.

Speaking of the mini-series, it introduced me to Hauschka. He was the music composer for the series. Aside from the score of this, I suggest you listen to his other work, 5 Movements particularly "Late Summer".

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

Speaking of the mini-series, it introduced me to Hauschka. He was the music composer for the series. Aside from the score of this, I suggest you listen to his other work, 5 Movements particularly "Late Summer".
I'm listening to 'Late Summer' right now. Thanks for the suggestion. It's difficult to watch when the young Patrick is onscreen. You can really see the anxiety, despair, and dread on his face. Even if they don't show much of what has happened to him, you can fill in the blanks easily. I'm okay with the adult Patrick scenes though.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The L Chat