Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Re: HBO's Gentleman Jack

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 11:59
Nice interview for Gentleman Jack/Anne Lister on BBC 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0c0nzjr
Oh I missed this last time I checked the GJ program website. Thanks for sharing this as I can now watch it. ^_^

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 06:27
Dizz wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 05:47
Guest wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 23:05
Lister13 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 23:03
Here's a clip for Ep 2! :..blinkwide: :nervous:

Yes indeed, who is Mariana lawton? :rofl:
L Chats most hated
I think this thread is going to be on fire after Christmas episode. :lol: I hate her but that one anon despises her so much, she is going to get an aneurysm. :lol:

I'm thinking if I should watch that episode at all. :lol: Based on what Suranne said at BFI, it's entirely just about Mariana and her relationship with Anne.
I think you're talking about me :lol: and I'm actually okay with Christmas as long as in the end the thing is finished and it's used to help Anne realize that she really does love Ann and chooses her.

I will still keep saying that Mariana is the worst and we should see her be the worst in that ep if they're faithful to the diaries. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 11:59
Nice interview for Gentleman Jack/Anne Lister on BBC 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0c0nzjr
Suranne says the sweetest thing about LGBTQ community. :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

:fool: I actually had a dream of Anne pounding Ann in every position possible. Poor Ann was exhausted :fool: :fool: KE ruined my life :fool:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Is there a chance we get a season 3? How popular is the show in UK, or is it more popular in US?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 17:47
Is there a chance we get a season 3? How popular is the show in UK, or is it more popular in US?
It was much more popular in the UK where it got like 5-6 million viewers per episode and was renewed before the season was even over. But that was three years ago. It's too soon to tell how this season will do. Hope there's a third one, tho. Really crossing my fingers.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Will all episodes be posted at once on HBO or will they also go weekly?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 18:00
Guest wrote:
It was much more popular in the UK where it got like 5-6 million viewers per episode and was renewed before the season was even over. But that was three years ago. It's too soon to tell how this season will do. Hope there's a third one, tho. Really crossing my fingers.
Yeah really hoping for a third one as well, hope they’ll be able to tell their life story fully. I get anxious about it though seeing the viewing figures for the BBC from last Sunday. And I’m not sure but it seems like hbo is putting up a lot of the budget for this series while it is doing much better on the bbc then on hbo, so I hope that will not have any consequences..

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 18:32
HBO doesn't release its shows all at once. it'll be weekly.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 18:36
Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 18:00
Guest wrote:
Yeah really hoping for a third one as well, hope they’ll be able to tell their life story fully. I get anxious about it though seeing the viewing figures for the BBC from last Sunday. And I’m not sure but it seems like hbo is putting up a lot of the budget for this series while it is doing much better on the bbc then on hbo, so I hope that will not have any consequences..
I get a bit anxious about those figures too, specially since I've always thought that it was the BBC numbers that kept the show afloat. I don't it ever did spectacularly on HBO. Still, there may be context we don't really have. I don't know how BBC works or if maybe the numbers for BBC have just declined in general. I think the series finale for Peaky Binders got like 3.8 mill, and I thought that show was a big deal. And GJ WAS the top show for that timeslot, even if it didn't pull the previous numbers/wasn't the most show of the day. Not every show that gets renewed is number one at everything. We also don't know how it works for HBO across their various on demand platforms (HBO Spain, Brazil, and so on).

When I love I show I prefer it to air weekly because I love speculating and rewatching it and being all excited about the new episode and all that stuff. You can draw out the pleasure for a few months vs getting it all dumped on your lap in a single day and then you're done in a couple of days. But man do I hate the stress over the ratings that comes with your favorite show airing weekly in a traditional channel. :bigcry: :lol:

soccergrl
Reactions: 1

Post by soccergrl »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 18:57
Guest wrote:
They do sometimes release a few at a time, though. It'll be interesting to see if they release the first 3 and catch the US up or if they'll stay 2 weeks behind the whole season. I'm watching live with a VPN and will watch them on HBOMax when they start but it would be nice if they could just be on the same schedule.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

soccergrl wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 19:32
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
They do sometimes release a few at a time, though. It'll be interesting to see if they release the first 3 and catch the US up or if they'll stay 2 weeks behind the whole season. I'm watching live with a VPN and will watch them on HBOMax when they start but it would be nice if they could just be on the same schedule.
I would love that actually. Make things easier. I check the hbo schedule every once in a while and the April 25 10pm slot is STILL empty for some reason. HBO has been weird about this show this year.

soccergrl
Reactions: 1

Post by soccergrl »

Guest wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 19:39
soccergrl wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I would love that actually. Make things easier. I check the hbo schedule every once in a while and the April 25 10pm slot is STILL empty for some reason. HBO has been weird about this show this year.
All I have is HBOMax, so I don't really check the time slot but I did just today get an alert that the trailer was finally ready lol. Hopefully they'll get their stuff together soon. The marketing for this has been really odd. It would definitely make my life easier if they'd just release the first 3 eps and catch us up to the same schedule.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

soccergrl wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 19:53
Guest wrote:
soccergrl wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
All I have is HBOMax, so I don't really check the time slot but I did just today get an alert that the trailer was finally ready lol. Hopefully they'll get their stuff together soon. The marketing for this has been really odd. It would definitely make my life easier if they'd just release the first 3 eps and catch us up to the same schedule.
I don't have either (I'll sign up when the show comes out), but here what's on the hbo website:

https://www.hbo.com/schedule

It's weird.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
soccergrl wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
In Asia we are waiting for the release from HBO because access to the BBC is not possible and we have to wait

Lister13
Reactions:

Post by Lister13 »

Spoiler!..Ep 3 Synopsis: :nervous:

ImageEp 3 Synopsis:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I still can't believe Anne thought Ann, Mariana and her could all be friends. :lol: Oh honey, that never works.

Lister13
Reactions:

Post by Lister13 »

BFI #Series2

KT…
Reactions:

Post by KT… »

Kinda new here and wondering about these two things.

Did AW find out that AL cheated on her? And also have AL ever said I “love you” back to her?

Thanks

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

KT… wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 08:41

Did AW find out that AL cheated on her? And also have AL ever said I “love you” back to her?

Thanks
Great questions. Was wondering that as well and wanted to ask the first one myself just now. We need spoilers, people who have read the diaries.

Petra
Reactions: 3

Post by Petra »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 09:39
KT… wrote:

Thanks
Great questions. Was wondering that as well and wanted to ask the first one myself just now. We need spoilers, people who have read the diaries.
https://pastlovespodcast.co.uk/2021/11/ ... nn-walker/

Try this, maybe it will help if you haven't read :dance2:
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

KT… wrote:

Thanks
I don't think we know if AW knew about Anne & Mariana or not. I don't know about your second question, sorry.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Petra wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 09:57
Guest wrote:
KT… wrote:

Thanks

I would take a lot of what this woman said with a pinch of salt. I don't know if she's butthurt that Anne was a Tory and wasn't a feminist or something, but I disagree with a lot of her interpretations there. Seeing her talk about Anne being controlling is kind of wild to me after reading about Anne giving into Anne Walker so many times, telling her to do what she thought best or made her happy, or even being ready to let her leave Shibden if she really wanted to. Every time it was a possibility, as far I've seen, Anne would freak out internally but when talking to Ann she would basically tell her "do what you think it's best and I won't stop you." She even wrote about how we owe to society two things: to be useful and to be agreeable, and even more so to people upon with our wellbeing depends, and she was proud of herself for always keeping her temper with Ann, who could be so difficult at times.

But of course, if you already view Anne as manipulative and some sort of 19th man then you probably would think she's manipulating Ann Walker into doing what she wants, but that is not the impression I've gotten. I think Anne literally tells Ann Walker she can go back home if she wants and she will help her make arrangements back (i feel like i have read this in the diaries), during that last trip to Russia, and this woman somehow interprets it as Anne forcing Ann Walker to stay and that Ann was maybe kind of relieved when Anne's death set her free lmao. Having said that, I haven't read every single diary entry (because who has the time for that? :nervous: ), but if anything the more I read the diaries the more I like Anne.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

KT… wrote:

Thanks
I doubt Anne ever told her. The question is if she ever worked it out. In the diaries when Anne comes back from visiting Mariana, she says that she got home late and everyone was asleep but a servant or two, but Ann ran up to her in her pajamas "had given me up in despair" and then they joke about Ann's "droll figure", all of which imply that she was fretting over the visit, which implies that she knew about Anne and Mariana, at least to some degree. I think we'll see this in the show. But I don't think she ever openly knew nor did they ever fight about it or something. After the visit Anne did start to show Ann her correspondence with Mariana, and occasionally had to rewrite some of her letters before sending them, on Ann's request.

Regarding the second one, I don't know. There is one entry, for example, where Ann leaves Anne this dramatic note saying she wants to leave Shibden. "‘little one is very much obliged to you for all you have done for it but it will be still more obliged if you will give back its promise and let it go away from here, Shibden Hall, June twenty ninth’." Besides how weird it is for Ann to refer to herself as 'it' (wtf :lol: ) I wondered if Anne called her little one because it was not a nickname one gives oneself. So i tried to search around in the blogs with entries I got bookmarked and found only one or two mentions of it, including Anne quoting herself as saying "I'm going, little one" one time when they were in the middle of a fight (she quoted herself because the point was that Ann didn't respond anything back). I also once saw one time they fought and were kind of not speaking to each other, yet again because of a fight started by Ann (at least according to Anne lol) and Ann eventually wants to make up and goes over to Anne to kiss her goodnight and tells her "goodnight, pony" which lol. Now I think both nicknames are bad :lol: but it made me think of all the day to day affection that might have not made it to the diaries because it was just mundane and not worth mentioning. You're more likely to use your diary to complain than to write about the little day to day interactions. All of this to say that even if Anne never wrote "i told her I love her" in the diaries that doesn't mean she never said it. I think I do remember Anne quoting herself a couple of times calling Ann "my love" to her face.

Having said that, I think she has to say in the show, regardless of whether is in the diaries or not, because they brought up now and if she doesn't it will look bad. They made things more romantic in the first season and they can, and should, do it now too imo.

Petra

Post by Petra »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 12:54
Petra wrote:
Guest wrote:
KT… wrote:

Thanks

I would take a lot of what this woman said with a pinch of salt. I don't know if she's butthurt that Anne was a Tory and wasn't a feminist or something, but I disagree with a lot of her interpretations there. Seeing her talk about Anne being controlling is kind of wild to me after reading about Anne giving into Anne Walker so many times, telling her to do what she thought best or made her happy, or even being ready to let her leave Shibden if she really wanted to. Every time it was a possibility, as far I've seen, Anne would freak out internally but when talking to Ann she would basically tell her "do what you think it's best and I won't stop you." She even wrote about how we owe to society two things: to be useful and to be agreeable, and even more so to people upon with our wellbeing depends, and she was proud of herself for always keeping her temper with Ann, who could be so difficult at times.

But of course, if you already view Anne as manipulative and some sort of 19th man then you probably would think she's manipulating Ann Walker into doing what she wants, but that is not the impression I've gotten. I think Anne literally tells Ann Walker she can go back home if she wants and she will help her make arrangements back (i feel like i have read this in the diaries), during that last trip to Russia, and this woman somehow interprets it as Anne forcing Ann Walker to stay and that Ann was maybe kind of relieved when Anne's death set her free lmao. Having said that, I haven't read every single diary entry (because who has the time for that? :nervous: ), but if anything the more I read the diaries the more I like Anne.
I will only hope that A + A will be together. In the series. I hope Mariana is gone. I don't like relationships where there are 3 people. I love S and S together, they have amazing chemistry :fingcross:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Petra wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 13:43
Guest wrote:
Petra wrote:
Guest wrote:
KT… wrote:

Thanks

I will only hope that A + A will be together. In the series. I hope Mariana is gone. I don't like relationships where there are 3 people. I love S and S together, they have amazing chemistry :fingcross:
The thing should be done with in episode four. Anne and Mariana only had sex once (and it was actually just a fully clothed grubble, I think, so basically Anne fingered her once and then felt bad about it). I kind of feel like she show is making more of it than it was for the sake of drama. But after Anne's visit the thing should be done.

Petra

Post by Petra »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 13:47
Petra wrote:
Guest wrote:
Petra wrote:
Guest wrote:

The thing should be done with in episode four. Anne and Mariana only had sex once (and it was actually just a fully clothed grubble, I think, so basically Anne fingered her once and then felt bad about it). I kind of feel like she show is making more of it than it was for the sake of drama. But after Anne's visit the thing should be done.

It's going to be an interesting part, people are talking about it .... I wonder if An will find out about Mariana. :nails:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 13:17
Having said that, I think she has to say in the show, regardless of whether is in the diaries or not, because they brought up now and if she doesn't it will look bad. They made things more romantic in the first season and they can, and should, do it now too imo.
Exactly what I was about to write, she is definitely going to say it by the end of this season.

Same thing with cheating, Ann will for sure find out, this is tv, and Ann finding out means even more drama.
I'm fine with it as long as they stay true to the diaries and it happens only once. Drama is what makes tv so good, and what makes happy endings even more delicious.
For example that hilltop scene is one of the most beautiful moments I have ever seen. And it came after heavy angst. So satisfying.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 14:15
Guest wrote:
Exactly what I was about to write, she is definitely going to say it by the end of this season.

Same thing with cheating, Ann will for sure find out, this is tv, and Ann finding out means even more drama.
I'm fine with it as long as they stay true to the diaries and it happens only once. Drama is what makes tv so good, and what makes happy endings even more delicious.
For example that hilltop scene is one of the most beautiful moments I have ever seen. And it came after heavy angst. So satisfying.
DA, agreed. I’m in favor of Ann finding out myself because I live for drama and I think that’ll make the eventual reconciliation that much better.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Petra wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 13:53
Guest wrote:
Petra wrote:
Guest wrote:
Petra wrote:

It's going to be an interesting part, people are talking about it .... I wonder if An will find out about Mariana. :nails:
For the record 'grubble' is officially the worst word ever.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 15:01
Petra wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 13:53
Guest wrote:
Petra wrote:
Guest wrote:

For the record 'grubble' is officially the worst word ever.
I agree, I do however love the word amaroso. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 14:44
Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 14:15
Guest wrote:

DA, agreed. I’m in favor of Ann finding out myself because I live for drama and I think that’ll make the eventual reconciliation that much better.
I agree with you two. It's why I have never been too bothered with the cheating, because I see the same potential for drama and emotional moments that you guys see. as long as, of course, it's used to prop up the Ann(e)s in the end, like they did in season one. Also, it's Mariana. Anne had such a long history with her, I can understand her faltering once. Anne was a bit of a womanizer and the fact that she was so faithful with Ann I think it's evidence of how seriously took their marriage.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 16:47

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 17:37
Guest wrote:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 18:37
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I hope that this will also show some lister family support for Ann. That they help her get rid of him or even a cute moment between Ann and aunt Anne Lister to show she finally has someone who cares about her.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
QMTA

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 18:41
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I hope that this will also show some lister family support for Ann. That they help her get rid of him or even a cute moment between Ann and aunt Anne Lister to show she finally has someone who cares about her.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Part of me wants Sally to stick close to the diaries and I get a thrill when there’s a throwaway line that’s some reference to a real event but my god real Anne could be a d--- :rageblush: Sally I hope you take some creative liberties where it counts ma’am

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Lister13 wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 07:07

ImageEp 3 Synopsis:
Ann, start a sex strike honey :nails:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 19:48
Lister13 wrote:

ImageEp 3 Synopsis:
Ann is too thirsty to start a sex strike :lol: .

This reminds me last season when Ann was going through her own depths of despair and had broken up with Anne but Anne still went to her bed side to help her. I’m guessing Anne is the kind of person who tries to help no matter what. I think we will see something similar with Marianne. Who knows if she was actually struggling or was just being dramatic to get Anne to come over.

From this though we can confirm that at this point Ann will be aware of who Ms. Lawton is.

GJAnon
Reactions:

Post by GJAnon »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 18:46
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
QMTA
I just thought that this was Dr. Kenny though, I think he look like him tbh

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 20:04
Guest wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 19:48
Lister13 wrote:

ImageEp 3 Synopsis:
Ann is too thirsty to start a sex strike :lol: .

This reminds me last season when Ann was going through her own depths of despair and had broken up with Anne but Anne still went to her bed side to help her. I’m guessing Anne is the kind of person who tries to help no matter what. I think we will see something similar with Marianne. Who knows if she was actually struggling or was just being dramatic to get Anne to come over.

From this though we can confirm that at this point Ann will be aware of who Ms. Lawton is.
I think Mariana is upset for real, but she's upset because she hates de idea of losing control over Anne. Like Marian said, she has upsets Anne and then always "worms" her way back in, which is what she will probably try to do now. She's probably really upset now because this is the first time she feels her position is truly threatened. She always thought Anne would never find a woman to settle down with. Thing is, I'm 100% sure that she never would've settled with Anne, even if Charles died.