Queer identified student who claimed she grew up poor & in foster care loses scholarship

Reactions:

Queer identified student who claimed she grew up poor & in foster care loses scholarship

Post by Guest »

Rhodes Scholar who claimed she grew up poor and in foster care loses her scholarship after officials learned she grew up in a middle-class family with a radiologist mother and attended a $30,000-a-year private school | 12 Jan 2022

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ng-up.html

A Rhodes Scholar who won a coveted scholarship at Oxford after claiming she overcame childhood abuse and grew up in foster care has been accused of lying to officials and is in fact the daughter of a radiologist who went to private school.

Mackenzie Fierceton, 24, describes herself as a 'queer, first generation, low income' student at The University of Pennsylvania. In 2020, she was given a scholarship to go to Oxford after dazzling the Rhodes Trust with her story of how she overcame welfare, an abusive mother and the foster care system.

But after a November 2020 Philadelphia Inquirer news article about the scholarship, lauded her as a 'first-generation student' who 'has been low-income throughout her life, and grew up in foster care,' an anonymous tipster contacted the Rhodes Trust and UPenn to report her for being 'blatantly dishonest'.

They told the schools how Mackenzie - whose previous name was Mackenzie Morrison - went to the $30,000-a-year Whitfield private school in St. Louis, Missouri.

Her mother is radiologist Dr. Carrie Morrison, and her hobbies at school included horseback riding, skydiving and white water rafting.

She spent less than a year in foster care in 2014 after telling police that her mother pushed her down stairs and left her 'caked in blood'. Her mother was arrested for abuse at the time but the charges were dropped due to a lack of evidence - something she did not include in her admissions essays.

Now, she has withdrawn from the Rhodes program and UPenn is withholding her masters degree pending further investigation.

According to an investigation by The Chronicle of Higher Education, the only portion of her story which appeared to be true was that she had at one time been in foster care.

In 2014, A 17-year-old Mackenzie told police that her mother pushed her down stairs and struck her at their four bedroom, $750,000 suburban home.

Dr. Morrison was arrested at the time but the case was dropped by prosecutors who said they could never prove Mackenzie's claims.

She told police that Mackenzie asked her to pull some gum out of her hair while she was standing at the top of the staircase. Dr. Morrison said she tried to, but that she 'jerked', fell down two stairs then sat down.

It's unclear exactly what happened next but she spent 22 days in hospital, then went to live in foster care for less than a year.

She continued studying at Whitfield - it's unclear who paid her tuition and graduated in 2016, shortly before her 19th birthday.

She then applied to UPenn with a dramatic admissions essay where she claimed her mother threw her down stairs, into a metal table and beat her.

In her telling of the incident, Mackenzie said she woke up the day after it, drove herself to school then collapsed in front of a teacher. She says she then woke up in the hospital, 'caked in blood.'

She referred to her 'facial features' being 'so distorted and swollen that I cannot tell them apart.', said going to the bathroom required an 'army of nurses,' and that braces stabilized 'most of her body'.

Mackenzie stayed with the foster care family, changed her name to Fierceton, then applied for college and was accepted.

In her application to UPenn, Mackenzie identified in application as 'queer', 'low income' and a 'first generation student.'

In the Philadelphia Inquirer interview from November 2020, she described high school as 'a very challenging and isolating experience'.

'At my school, everyone kind of knew me as like the foster kid who all these bad things had happened to,' she said.

She did not mention which school she went to - or that it was private.

She maintains that she never lied and that the Rhodes Trust is attacking a 'survivor' of abuse.

In a lawsuit filed in December, she accused The University of Pennsylvania and Rhodes Trust investigators of victimizing her.

During a Zoom interview, Mackenzie told the investigators that it did happen, and that her mother had tried to kill her.

In diary entries that were obtained by police after the alleged 2014 abuse incident, Mackenzie wrote how she didn't like her mother's boyfriend, and wanted to live elsewhere.

She weighed up the 'pros and cons' of reporting her mother for abuse, and among the cons were 'could go into Foster Care,', 'no college money, car, etc', and 'no one could believe me. mom could convince everyone I’m crazy.'

Her lawsuit says she never lied, that she did enter foster care and that she was considered low income when she applied to college.

She says the university has fabricated the 'anonymous tip' and is retaliating against her because she previously reported it for health and safety concerns. She claims she suffered a seizure in a basement classroom at the school and that it took too long for an ambulance to arrive.

The University of Pennsylvania said it is not retaliating against her.

'Penn and the Rhodes Trust received credible information that called into question statements Ms. Fierceton made in her applications for admission, financial assistance, and scholarships.

'The Rhodes Trust conducted its own investigation, during which it considered evidence and arguments provided by Ms. Fierceton and her attorney.

It prepared a comprehensive report which was provided to Ms. Fierceton in April 2020.

'The Trust then gave Ms. Fierceton the opportunity to withdraw her candidacy if she chose to do so.

'Ms. Fierceton accepted that offer and withdrew her candidacy.'

Reactions:

Re: Queer identified student who claimed she grew up poor & in foster care loses scholarship

Post by Guest »

believe all abuse victims

believe all oppressed minorities

Reactions:

Re: Queer identified student who claimed she grew up poor & in foster care loses scholarship

Post by Guest »

She should have applied for a scholarship in Hartlepool, she'd fit right in with our gallery of beloved crazy Brits.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

She changed her last name to Fierceton :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

laughing at UPenn, the Ivies and prestigious colleges and scholarships. they recognise men identifying as women as legit women. and vice versa. why do they selectively not recognise this queer's other self-identified identities like low-income (in her mind her family may be low-income?)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

She spent 22 days in a hospital though so she must’ve been really injured

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 06:40
She spent 22 days in a hospital though so she must’ve been really injured
Yeah, it's clear she stretched the truth in her admissions essay (to what extent is unknown), but I don't think a hospital would keep anyone that long if they didn't require that level of care

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I don’t know many people who fall down “two stairs” and then are kept in the hospital for 22 days.

The system is quick to put bipoc kids in care… but the white child of a medical professional? There would have had to be evidence, even if it wasn’t enough to convict. I am not saying she didn’t lie or exaggerate… but I think questioning the abuse is taking it a bit far.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

If she can self-identify as queer, why can't she self-identify as poor?

I personally would like to self-identify as hot and rich.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 06:47
Sociopath alert

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 06:48

x2

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It's unclear exactly what happened next but she spent 22 days in hospital, then went to live in foster care for less than a year.
is it unclear, though? I mean, I'm pretty sure it was stated in the 2nd half of the sentence. :fool: :rofl:

this seems like a fucked up story. she spent almost a month in hospital and a year in foster care, all of which is documented?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
I don’t know many people who fall down “two stairs” and then are kept in the hospital for 22 days.

The system is quick to put bipoc kids in care… but the white child of a medical professional? There would have had to be evidence, even if it wasn’t enough to convict. I am not saying she didn’t lie or exaggerate… but I think questioning the abuse is taking it a bit far.
x2 White kids of doctors don't go into foster care for nothing

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Yall need to read the whole article. UPenn was being suspect as hell
She says the university has fabricated the 'anonymous tip' and is retaliating against her because she previously reported it for health and safety concerns. She claims she suffered a seizure in a basement classroom at the school and that it took too long for an ambulance to arrive.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

She glossed over some important details. It makes her look like a lier; but that does not mean she’s lying about the hospital, the abusive mother and foster care.

She’s ticking all the boxes in a way, squeezing the system in her favor. Good for her, I say.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 06:50
Guest wrote:

I laughed out loud at this, me too :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 06:49
Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 06:47
Sociopath alert
At least this one is hot as fuck :nervous:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Why it is important she IDs as queer?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 08:55
They like to choose who have more interesting, more special, more oppressed minority identities among many with similar qualifications for certain limited spots. Yes, ticking all the boxes. Similar two people: one queer-identified vs. another cis het (privileged dominant class)?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Because LChat.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

x2, says it all about our current society

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

If she identifies as "queer" and she's white, then of course she's middle class, and not just middle class but the most privileged version of middle class. It's the very definition of "queer".

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 10:35
Guest wrote:

x2, says it all about our current society
x3 I stand with Mackenzie. It’s okay for male creeps to pretend to be women, invade our spaces and make us feel unsafe but yet Mackenzie who has done far less harm than male trannies can’t identify as poor.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 10:44
If she identifies as "queer" and she's white, then of course she's middle class, and not just middle class but the most privileged version of middle class. It's the very definition of "queer".
Lots of "queers" and "trans/nb" and "transmasc" and "LGBTQIA+" (like "I'm LGBTQIA+"), along with "Disabled (Neurodivergent, Autistic, etc.) are this kind.

Very often from the privileged comfortable class. Almost always living online, claim to be "homeless", "abused", "nowhere to go", "no money for rent, food, shelter, school, 'internet, phone - necessary for work', life-saving procedures (all the plastic, vanity surgeries, hormones, voice training, etc.)" - grifting on gofundme, cashapp, etc.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The “anonymous tipper” should watch her back and hope that Mackenzie isn’t the vengeful type :nervous: She almost pulled it off it wasn’t for the anonymous tip.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 09:17
Guest wrote:
They like to choose who have more interesting, more special, more oppressed minority identities among many with similar qualifications for certain limited spots. Yes, ticking all the boxes. Similar two people: one queer-identified vs. another cis het (privileged dominant class)?
It's not very fair to say that. Traditionally, some of these type of scholarships are meant for poor people whose parents can't afford to send them to college. Not everything is about identity politics.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The fact that she's had the scholarship withdrawn shows that she concocted a fairytale about an underprivileged, impoverished background. The "queer" tag is all a part of that oppressed narrative. Hopefully this kind of scam will wake universities and employers up to the fact that queer, enbie, trans, etc. is all fictional bullshit and they shouldn't waste their time with it. Also, the most likely to say they are queer and enbie are the middle class. There are plenty of deserving students from actual disadvantaged backgrounds that deserve these scholarships more.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 07:04
Guest wrote:

This. She exaggerated her circumstances but my sympathies are with this young women.

Also - Stop linking to the Daily Mail :rage:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 13:16
The fact that she's had the scholarship withdrawn shows that she concocted a fairytale about an underprivileged, impoverished background. The "queer" tag is all a part of that oppressed narrative. Hopefully this kind of scam will wake universities and employers up to the fact that queer, enbie, trans, etc. is all fictional bullshit and they shouldn't waste their time with it. Also, the most likely to say they are queer and enbie are the middle class. There are plenty of deserving students from actual disadvantaged backgrounds that deserve these scholarships more.
Does it? Cos these establishments are always right?
Did you even read the story?

Also queer is not fictional bullshit. It’s a word that many lesbians have used for decades.
Don’t help those you are disparaging in helping hijack it :fool:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Transpobrecita. :crybaby: Merikkka is cruel.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Does this fall into “academic dishonesty” like plagiarism and cheating on tests?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 13:44
Transpobrecita. :crybaby: Merikkka is cruel.
x2 for real :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 11:41
Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 09:17
Guest wrote:
It's not very fair to say that. Traditionally, some of these type of scholarships are meant for poor people whose parents can't afford to send them to college. Not everything is about identity politics.
Of course they deserve those spots reserved for them - there are much simpler ways for those who meet that standard without this elaborate self-identifying, story-making game of who has more suffered, is more special, etc. She is a product of identity politics-loving admission/scholarship process. "Identity politics" yes, if there's no way or no desire to find out those who're claiming whatever identities are real.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Education should be for free for everyone.

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 09:27
Guest wrote:
Because LChat.
Because of oppression points.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 13:36
Guest wrote:

Also queer is not fictional bullshit. It’s a word that many lesbians have used for decades.
Oh, so according to you the university and Rhodes Committee were right when they gave her the scholarship, as they believed her false story of an disadvantaged family background, but wrong to withdraw the scholarship when they discovered she was falsifying her background?

Queer is fictional bullshit because queer can mean absolutely anything and so ends up meaning nothing. I'm not sure how the lesbians you know used it, especially a few decades ago when homophobes were using it as a slur for gay people, but it does not mean "lesbian", it doesn't even mean "same-sex attracted". It's now used to mean "trans" or enbie or even just someone who thinks they're a little cool and alternative or who like to say that they don't fit into mainstream society (which is how a lot of middle-class white girls use it, even very straight ones, to give themselves an oppression factor).

Take this Mackenzie Fierceton, for example. Are you saying she's a lesbian? If she is, then she should just say she's a lesbian.

The other problem with "queer" is that it's now too associated with the "teachings" of "queer theory" and "queer studies", which basically equate to the erasure of sex and hence the erasure of the validity of same-sex attraction. It's people who think that "queer" is cool who are telling lesbians that we're "transphobic" if we don't want to have sex with penised people.

Did you even read the story? She doesn't come across well.
https://archive.is/ONhKi
https://www.chronicle.com/article/the-dredging

Here's another article that's sympathetic to Fierceton but in which, as I read it, she comes across even crazier.
https://www.bigtrial.net/2022/01/in-pil ... penns.html

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 13:33
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

This. She exaggerated her circumstances but my sympathies are with this young women.

You know a large chunk of this board is conservative as hell and would hate lesbians if they weren't one

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 14:50
Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 13:36
Guest wrote:

Oh, so according to you the university and Rhodes Committee were right when they gave her the scholarship, as they believed her false story of an disadvantaged family background, but wrong to withdraw the scholarship when they discovered she was falsifying her background?

Queer is fictional bullshit because queer can mean absolutely anything and so ends up meaning nothing. I'm not sure how the lesbians you know used it, especially a few decades ago when homophobes were using it as a slur for gay people, but it does not mean "lesbian", it doesn't even mean "same-sex attracted". It's now used to mean "trans" or enbie or even just someone who thinks they're a little cool and alternative or who like to say that they don't fit into mainstream society (which is how a lot of middle-class white girls use it, even very straight ones, to give themselves an oppression factor).

Take this Mackenzie Fierceton, for example. Are you saying she's a lesbian? If she is, then she should just say she's a lesbian.

The other problem with "queer" is that it's now too associated with the "teachings" of "queer theory" and "queer studies", which basically equate to the erasure of sex and hence the erasure of the validity of same-sex attraction. It's people who think that "queer" is cool who are telling lesbians that we're "transphobic" if we don't want to have sex with penised people.

Did you even read the story? She doesn't come across well.
https://archive.is/ONhKi

Here's another article that's sympathetic to Fierceton but in which, as I read it, she comes across even crazier.
x2

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 14:52
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

You know a large chunk of this board is conservative as hell and would hate lesbians if they weren't one
You know that not believe in oppressed politics is hate these days. I don't hate any group except terrorists. Even woke queers just annoy me. I feel sorry for that that they feel such misery in their lives.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Here are some alternative links for you:
(also https://archive.is/ONhKi)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It feels hopeless to grow up with an abusive mother. What if it's the mother who tipped her off?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:01
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

You know that not believe in oppressed politics is hate these days. I don't hate any group except terrorists. Even woke queers just annoy me. I feel sorry for that that they feel such misery in their lives.
So much misery like going out of their way to hate on a group called woke queers for... talking about themselves? Me, I just don't pay people mind it they're not affecting me, but maybe that's the miserable choice :hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:13
It feels hopeless to grow up with an abusive mother. What if it's the mother who tipped her off?
Yes, it's not great. But, that isn't grounds for awarding a scholarship. It could be anyone who tipped off the Inquirer about her, since many people knew the actual circumstances in which she grew up. But whoever told about her, even if it was the mother, it makes no difference because a tip off would inevitably lead to an investigation, and the investigation into the actual facts showed that she had fabricated a good chunk of her story.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
She undeservedly took one limited spot out of much more deserving "oppressed" student. With this kind of thing, for one limited spot, there are many similarly qualified students with more or less similar "abused" and/or hardship experiences/stories and similar family backgrounds - not middle class or comfortable socioeconomic-wise - and/or similar not-well-educated parents with not-decently-paying jobs. She took one spot out of them by intentionally lying her family income is lower than those students' (low income) and parents with worse backgrounds (career and ability to send to private schools) than theirs.

If you think her claim of abuse (much more ppl go through that level of abuse. I don't mean that's not abuse. Yes it is. But the committee only picks one abuse victim they regard more deserving than the rest), the time spent on hospital (ditto) and foster care for one year are enough (sad indeed) for her to deserve that spot, she could have just stated those alone without fake identities?

You and she all know that that's not enough, there are too many similarly sad, not well-off and deserving students. She unfairly stole the spot by inventing additional lies (intentional omissions are also lies)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 07:37
She glossed over some important details. It makes her look like a lier; but that does not mean she’s lying about the hospital, the abusive mother and foster care.

She’s ticking all the boxes in a way, squeezing the system in her favor. Good for her, I say.
lol, well the system is squeezing back. Like bitch just ask your mother for the fucking money.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:54
Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 07:37

lol, well the system is squeezing back. Like bitch just ask your mother for the fucking money.
DA I bet she does it not because she needs it but because she enjoys lying and manipulating people to get what she wants.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:18
Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:01
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

So much misery like going out of their way to hate on a group called woke queers for... talking about themselves? Me, I just don't pay people mind it they're not affecting me, but maybe that's the miserable choice :hmmm:
Finding people annoying is not hate. Feeling like a victim constantly and thinking people "hate" you is a miserable choice.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

All you need to do is start a gofundme for a transition fund. Use that money to transition into who you truly are on the inside. Hot and rich :hudoin:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jan 2022, 15:36
Guest wrote:
She undeservedly took one limited spot out of much more deserving "oppressed" student. With this kind of thing, for one limited spot, there are many similarly qualified students with more or less similar "abused" and/or hardship experiences/stories and similar family backgrounds - not middle class or comfortable socioeconomic-wise - and/or similar not-well-educated parents with not-decently-paying jobs. She took one spot out of them by intentionally lying her family income is lower than those students' (low income) and parents with worse backgrounds (career and ability to send to private schools) than theirs.

If you think her claim of abuse (much more ppl go through that level of abuse. I don't mean that's not abuse. Yes it is. But the committee only picks one abuse victim they regard more deserving than the rest), the time spent on hospital (ditto) and foster care for one year are enough (sad indeed) for her to deserve that spot, she could have just stated those alone without fake identities?

You and she all know that that's not enough, there are too many similarly sad, not well-off and deserving students. She unfairly stole the spot by inventing additional lies (intentional omissions are also lies)
I'm not sure I agree with people getting scholarships based on being part of an identity groups or past trauma. If your parents can't afford to send you that is fair enough. I do think this whole idea of rewarding in a way the people who can be more "oppressed" will just lead to more things like this. People see an opportunity to take advantage of people who think they are doing good.