Why are lesbians so broke?

Reactions:

Re: Why are lesbians so broke?

Post by Guest »

This thread scares me. I'm 28, currently a graduate student. I'm pretty broke...but I don't have debt. The highest income I ever made annually was 40k. Is this really much of an issue? I guess I'm average-ish in looks. Still haven't tried to date anyone in years. It freaks me out that somebody might be judging me for this, though, since the lesbian dating pool is so small.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 20:52
This thread scares me. I'm 28, currently a graduate student. I'm pretty broke...but I don't have debt. The highest income I ever made annually was 40k. Is this really much of an issue? I guess I'm average-ish in looks. Still haven't tried to date anyone in years. It freaks me out that somebody might be judging me for this, though, since the lesbian dating pool is so small.
I think the majority of lesbians, who are broke, don’t care how much money you make. It’s only going to be lesbians who are financially secure - like 100k+ annually or so who will always been concerned about finances. Two broke lesbians together may fight over money too, but they won’t red flag you just for being financially insecure. I would say 40k would be the bare minimum to start being secure, but that also depends on where you live. 40k goes a lot farther in rural Oklahoma than in Austin for instance.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 20:58
Guest wrote:
I think the majority of lesbians, who are broke, don’t care how much money you make. It’s only going to be lesbians who are financially secure - like 100k+ annually or so who will always been concerned about finances. Two broke lesbians together may fight over money too, but they won’t red flag you just for being financially insecure. I would say 40k would be the bare minimum to start being secure, but that also depends on where you live. 40k goes a lot farther in rural Oklahoma than in Austin for instance.
I was making 40k in Denver and that was literally the most money I've ever made in a soul-sucking office job. And even with that, I was making more money than a majority of my friends and fought tooth and nail to start working for the state.

Hopefully, my graduate degree will bring in more opportunities to be financially secure. I'm on a full-tuition fellowship with the school I go to; but sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake by quitting my office job to pursue this.

I guess I'm overall feeling pretty darn sad about my life, lately. I don't care too much about money as long as I'm making enough to take care of myself...but I guess seeing this thread makes me feel nervous, because I've really never been motivated to make loads of money, but maybe I should be or something? I also haven't tried to date in years, and I'm wondering what I just described will be a barrier for me. I feel self-conscious.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
i mean the world judges you for pretty much everything. you pretty much have to get over it and move on. being scared of being judged isn't gonna help anything.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
You sound fine to me. It's possible to be happy and not have a ton of money. It's possible to have a relationship and not have a ton of money.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 22:14
Guest wrote:
i mean the world judges you for pretty much everything. you pretty much have to get over it and move on. being scared of being judged isn't gonna help anything.
True.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Don’t worry too much about it. OP is a man, and some others are blowing hot shit. Already, you understand yourself, which puts you further than other people. If your expectations are normal, then you will do fine. Character compatibility is more important. Like, say, both you and your girlfriend are quiet people who enjoy reading, the indoors, and perhaps a very small spot of gardening. The both of you don’t need that much money, and can lead a low-key and peaceful life together.

Some lesbians want to lead a high life, or rather, a high spending life and they could only afford it for themselves. So they want a partner who is already leading that lifestyle. Personally, from some experience, the truly rich usually don’t mind paying the share that you can’t afford so that you can join them in their interests if they like you enough.

There are also some gold-digger types who love acting concerned about money.

Anyhow, while lesbians are a smaller population, they are not that small. There are many from different walks of life and not everyone thinks the same. You will find the partner who fits together with you. ^_^

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

checked my bank account and I'm $600 less poor today. thanks, congress.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 21:40
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I was making 40k in Denver and that was literally the most money I've ever made in a soul-sucking office job. And even with that, I was making more money than a majority of my friends and fought tooth and nail to start working for the state.

Hopefully, my graduate degree will bring in more opportunities to be financially secure. I'm on a full-tuition fellowship with the school I go to; but sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake by quitting my office job to pursue this.

I guess I'm overall feeling pretty darn sad about my life, lately. I don't care too much about money as long as I'm making enough to take care of myself...but I guess seeing this thread makes me feel nervous, because I've really never been motivated to make loads of money, but maybe I should be or something? I also haven't tried to date in years, and I'm wondering what I just described will be a barrier for me. I feel self-conscious.
You should at least focus on being financially secure once you secure your degree. Make sure you have a savings account that has at least 6 months of full pay in it in case you go through an period of job loss. Make sure you have a retirement account that you contribute to or a job with a pension. Make sure you can afford a good vehicle as well.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 22:31
Guest wrote:
Don’t worry too much about it. OP is a man, and some others are blowing hot shit. Already, you understand yourself, which puts you further than other people. If your expectations are normal, then you will do fine. Character compatibility is more important. Like, say, both you and your girlfriend are quiet people who enjoy reading, the indoors, and perhaps a very small spot of gardening. The both of you don’t need that much money, and can lead a low-key and peaceful life together.

Some lesbians want to lead a high life, or rather, a high spending life and they could only afford it for themselves. So they want a partner who is already leading that lifestyle. Personally, from some experience, the truly rich usually don’t mind paying the share that you can’t afford so that you can join them in their interests if they like you enough.

Anyhow, while lesbians are a smaller population, they are not that small. There are many from different walks of life and not everyone thinks the same. You will find the partner who fits together with you. ^_^
Thank you for the encouragement. I do appreciate the kindness.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 16:16
Don't know about you but I'm not broke.
me neither

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 21:40
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

If you are passionate about what you do for a career, don't change on the thought you can't find a partner because of what you do.

Shelby
Veteran
Reactions: 172

Post by Shelby »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 00:39
Guest wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 16:16
Don't know about you but I'm not broke.
me neither
Are you both platinum stars who make six figures? :gaypimp:
My pronouns are Cash/App and Venmo/me

Reactions:

Post by GUEST »

Guest wrote:
If you aren't attractive, aren't femme, aren't white or close to it, aren't a platinum or gold star, and don't like or even hate certain subsets of people, and are broke...well this forum, on the whole, can be a very scary place.

In the real world though, you'll do fine. One thing that I know to be true, at least in my experience is that women appreciate someone who is educated, hardworking, self-sufficient and knows themselves. Granted you've only written a few sentences but you seem to tick many of those boxes so you're good. Don't let the people on this forum/thread scare you away because I'm willing to guess that a lot of the people making these types of demands don't have women lining up or even looking in their general direction.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reported this thread to the moderators. It was obviously opened by a poster who wants to discourage and demoralize lesbians - there were several other threads opened at the same time that asked about whether lesbians have the highest rate of domestic violence, whether lesbians do [this bad thing] etc.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 08:56
Reported this thread to the moderators. It was obviously opened by a poster who wants to discourage and demoralize lesbians - there were several other threads opened at the same time that asked about whether lesbians have the highest rate of domestic violence, whether lesbians do [this bad thing] etc.
One thing to question the intention of the thread starter, but we should be able to discuss certain issues among us, matter how taboo.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 09:41
Guest wrote:
One thing to question the intention of the thread starter, but we should be able to discuss certain issues among us, matter how taboo.
Is it even taboo, or just fictional? I make $$$. Most lesbians I know make way more $$$ than heterosexual women, or else are in educational programs to make money. Some are dog walkers or make just average money or live below the poverty line. But by and large, most lesbians know that being independent is important, and zero of them want to rely on men.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I think it’s more of a female thing than a lesbian thing(obviously there a men who also have money issues) but Straight women tend to rely and live off their husband. Anyone who blames it on sexism and homophobia is an idiot, especially nowadays when companies are more than aware of the backlash they could face. Those excuses are just pure laziness and a lack of ambition.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Ok Karen.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 06:12
Guest wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 06:05
Kinda sad that the OP is acting like a rich stuck up bitch with only an 85k income. That’s like solidly middle class.
:nono: Canadian 85k.
:lol: :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I make 150k and don't mind dating women below my income bracket. Whats the big deal?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Money doesn't make things better, having it or bring offered it. Throughout my studies up yo my PhD years, I dated a wealthy older woman who was married to an even richer man. She paid all my expenses , school etc/was madly in love with me but wanted me to be her just woman..

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 22:31
Guest wrote:

You'd hope that both OP and that 28 year old grad student are trolls because the alternative is just too sad - i.e. if their stories are actually legit and true, then OP has similar thought patterns to incel neckbeards and think that all lesbians are bad because of her own personal failures, and the grad student is freaking out over comments on an anonymous forum(errm, shouldn't someone in higher education be capable of more critical thinking?). How socially inept would you have to be to have wasted the years before the pandemic struck to not have mingled with more lesbians from all walks of life? Did these two live under a rock that whole time? It'd be understandable if they were teens with zero life experience still wasting their shipping fictional characters on the internet, but they should be old enough to know better. So yeah, for their sakes, they are hopefully making shit up because you'd hope no one is that legit stupid at their age.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Honestly I am OK with being with a "broke" partner. I care less about the money they make as long as they are responsible. For example, if she doesn't want to have a job and plays video games all day? No thanks. But a sweet social worker who is responsible but just happens to have a low-paying job? Sign me up. I can cover expenses for the both of us if needed, it's the heart and the soul that is important.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 12:46
Money doesn't make things better, having it or being offered it. Throughout my studies up yo my PhD years, I dated a wealthy older woman who was married to an even richer man. She paid all my expenses , school etc/was madly in love with me but wanted me to be her just woman..
Isn't money woes the number one contributor to divorces? Also, money can absolutely greatly enhance a person or couple's quality of life.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I was dating a woman for less than 2 months and near xmas time, she asked me if I'd support her if she lost her job. I was like, wtf? You've known me for less than 2 months (sure I made way more than her) and she has family and friends she's known for decades and yet she asks me this? Seriously, make your own way in life first.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 17:56
Honestly I am OK with being with a "broke" partner. I care less about the money they make as long as they are responsible. For example, if she doesn't want to have a job and plays video games all day? No thanks. But a sweet social worker who is responsible but just happens to have a low-paying job? Sign me up. I can cover expenses for the both of us if needed, it's the heart and the soul that is important.
:tinfoil:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 17:56
I want to be a social worker and do massage therapy as a side business, so I'm glad somebody can appreciate something like that.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 18:12
I was dating a woman for less than 2 months and near xmas time, she asked me if I'd support her if she lost her job. I was like, wtf? You've known me for less than 2 months (sure I made way more than her) and she has family and friends she's known for decades and yet she asks me this? Seriously, make your own way in life first.
Odd, she asked you this, straight up? I mean, I guess if I'd been dating somebody for over a year and it came up in a mutual conversation it would make sense...you made the right call though. Sounds like poor boundaries.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I only make 10k a year but with that money I have traveled to Europe and once a month in my country (precovid)and now I'm starting to pay my mortgage :hmmm: but here lifestyle is more cheap (México) seeing your incomes makes me think that I'm broke :nervous:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Who made this group lol lesbians are not the only people who can be broke

Shelby
Veteran

Post by Shelby »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 21:45
I only make 10k a year but with that money I have traveled to Europe and once a month in my country (precovid)and now I'm starting to pay my mortgage :hmmm: but here lifestyle is more cheap (México) seeing your incomes makes me think that I'm broke :nervous:
Damn, how cheap is living in Mexico? You can live off of 10k?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 21:34
Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 18:12
Odd, she asked you this, straight up? I mean, I guess if I'd been dating somebody for over a year and it came up in a mutual conversation it would make sense...you made the right call though. Sounds like poor boundaries.
Yup, over Xmas dinner. She was employed by the government. I initially looked at her like a deer caught in headlights.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Shelby wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 22:10
Guest wrote:
I gain 15k before taxes then my taxes are 3k and my expanses (electricity service, pantry, internet, water, streaming services,etc) is more or less 1.5k the rest I use it to invest or If I want to buy something for myself.
It depends where you are because I live in México city, have a good job and the zone is like for high middle class .

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Being broke is not just about how high your income is, it's about whether you have the common sense to spend less than you earn. That said, so many people are have huge amounts of consumer debt spent on things they should not have bought, so I should probably say "uncommon sense" rather than "common sense".

I used to date a businesswoman who was making more than twice my yearly salary, but is in massive amounts of debt because she was so obsessed with keeping up with the joneses that she bought a luxury car and a big, expensive house that she struggled to make mortgage payments on. If she had bought a smaller house in a less flashy suburb that was just as nice, she would have actually been okay, but she was forced to sell at a loss because she didn't prepare for a downturn in her business and is now back living with her parents. We broke up after one particularly big fight about going on an overseas holiday - I had said maybe we should postpone it to give us more time to save, but she had bragged about going on this big flashy trip to her friends already so she was gonna go even if it sunk her into more debt. She dumped me because I stood my ground, then tried to get me back a week later, but I didn't want to be with someone I would constantly get into fights with money about. I'm so fucking glad I didn't agree to move in with her when she got pushy about it, she would have been an absolute nightmare to be isolated with in this pandemic.

I am now quick to spot financial red flags when I am dating and am very wary of people who have a desperate need to show off using luxury items and overseas travel experiences if it's not within their means. I don't care if someone is making $30k or less, as long as they are smart enough to budget, have no debt and able to put some money into savings every month even if it's just $50. This is based on values I apply to my own self - I've always been able to pay my own rent and bills and put money into savings even with modestly paying jobs because I live within my means. I have enough saved to buy my own home this year.

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 12:46
Money doesn't make things better, having it or bring offered it. Throughout my studies up yo my PhD years, I dated a wealthy older woman who was married to an even richer man. She paid all my expenses , school etc/was madly in love with me but wanted me to be her just woman..
x2 as an adult, money obviously matters within reason but at the end of the day it doesn't make a difference to you liking who you're with. some folks can maybe suck it up I guess and be with somebody who they're not keen on for the coin but I just physically can't. I would be living a better life if I could :dramaqueen:

Shelby
Veteran

Post by Shelby »

Guest wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 01:29
Shelby wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 22:10
Guest wrote:
I gain 15k before taxes then my taxes are 3k and my expanses (electricity service, pantry, internet, water, streaming services,etc) is more or less 1.5k the rest I use it to invest or If I want to buy something for myself.
It depends where you are because I live in México city, have a good job and the zone is like for high middle class .
15k is middle class in Mexico? :blinkwide: That's like minimum wage in America. So if someone could make that much remotely, they could live like a queen in Mexico.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

My exgirlfriend works in IT services and they sent her to Guanajuato but they keep paying her in USD and she told me she is saving a lot and the place where she lives there a lot of retired people mostly that come from the United States as her neighbors.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Too much money spent on shitty tattoos and vapes. RIP

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It may just be my personal belief, but I have always found that you are more likely to meet a working class lesbian because those that are middle class maybe more likely to stay in the closet for financial and family reasons.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Sorry how is this different from literally any straight person? My dating pool really defined by where I went to school + the industry I work in. There are plenty of working class, middle income, and upper income lesbians. But really it comes down to the same old privilege. I went to an "elite" university, which helped me find work in finance in NYC (never earned below 100K in my life but also it's NYC so COLA), and I am now in tech. I've only dated consultants, financiers, and other people in tech. I'd be super open to dating an artist or a write but we move in completely different social circles and I do think what we find attractive in other people is...very different. Beside the overall dating pool being smaller, I see 0 difference between me and my straight friends, whom also date the same cookie cutter people from the same schools and industries.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 18:56
Too much money spent on shitty tattoos and vapes. RIP
I smiled. :lol:

AlexCabot
Reactions: 31

Post by AlexCabot »

Its been my experience that its not about how much you make but about how you spend it.

I have no debt and a fair amount of savings. I have dated people who make twice what I do and have a fair amount of debt and no savings. I have also met people who make less than me but own their house, something that is a goal of mine that has so fair eluded me.

The anon above here who makes 15k a year is doing great for themselves where they are. However 15K might not even cover a years rent here. Its all relative. If I meet a girl who is living within her means and able to save up money for emergencies and put some aside for things she enjoy like vacations and concerts than I don't really care how much she makes a year.

And based on my diverse group of friends I would say the gays I know and the straights I know are equally poor/rich.
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm trying to learn to live within my means. :dramaqueen:

For most of 2021, I'll be having two meals a day: 01) A Larabar; 02) Nissin black garlic oil ramen (w/x1 egg, chopped green onions, and a clove of garlic). First time I've ever bought a 30 pack. Had to order from Amazon, because all of the local asian markets are out of stock of this flavor.

Don't worry. I also juice honeycrisp apples, oranges, blueberries, kale, celery, and carrots a few times a week. Hopefully, this will offset the nutritional awfulness of my ramen dinner, but probably not. :nervous:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 06:33

For most of 2021, I'll be having two meals a day: 01) A Larabar; 02) Nissin black garlic oil ramen (w/x1 egg, chopped green onions, and a clove of garlic). First time I've ever bought a 30 pack. Had to order from Amazon, because all of the local asian markets are out of stock of this flavor.

Don't worry. I also juice honeycrisp apples, oranges, blueberries, kale, celery, and carrots a few times a week. Hopefully, this will offset the nutritional awfulness of my ramen dinner, but probably not. :nervous:

I love that ramen. I'm lucky my asian store near me always has it. How much did you have to pay for the box? Also, you probably know this but that can't be good for your health lmfao

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I love that ramen. I'm lucky my asian store near me always has it. How much did you have to pay for the box? Also, you probably know this but that can't be good for your health lmfao
Lol. Yeah, likely so.

I paid $30 total. Could probably get a 30 pack of any other flavor for half this cost, but, well, I like this, so I got it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 06:46
Lol. Yeah, likely so.

I paid $30 total. Could probably get a 30 pack of any other flavor for half this cost, but, well, I like this, so I got it.
That's a good price lol. When I buy one, it's like $2.50.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

That is not sustainable at all... Instead of juicing, you should eat them whole so the fiber can help to keep you a little more satiated.

What is your budget? What do you have access to (stove, microwave, rice cooker, car, public transportation, etc)? What is your activity level?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 06:51
Guest wrote:

That is not sustainable at all... Instead of juicing, you should eat them whole so the fiber can help to keep you a little more satiated.

What is your budget? What do you have access to (stove, microwave, rice cooker, car, public transportation, etc)? What is your activity level?
I don't have a budget. "No more Door Dash/Postmates/Uber Eats; takeout twice a month and boba twice a week," is my budget. Don't have a car. Used to take public transit, but I have an e-bike now, so I'm good. I have a stove, microwave, and rice cooker, but I don't like to cook, hence the ramen. Level of daily physical activity is terrible. I bike about x4 times a week, do some sit ups, and and squats, but I don't have a conventional 9-5 job. I sit on my ass most of the day.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 07:13
Guest wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 06:51
Guest wrote:

I don't have a budget. "No more Door Dash/Postmates/Uber Eats; takeout twice a month and boba twice a week," is my budget. Don't have a car. Used to take public transit, but I have an e-bike now, so I'm good. I have a stove, microwave, and rice cooker, but I don't like to cook, hence the ramen. Level of daily physical activity is terrible. I bike about x4 times a week, do some sit ups, and and squats, but I don't have a conventional 9-5 job. I sit on my ass most of the day.
Have you tried eating like that daily? Do you get hungry? I'd be starving and I'm petite with even less physical activity than you lol.

Reminder of other quick meal options: cereal, bagels, oatmeal, toast, sandwiches, tortillas (tacos, wraps), udon noodles (as noodle soup or with a sauce like peanut sauce which is easy to make with peanut butter. add protein or veggies), rotisserie chicken, frozen or microwavable foods/meals (pancakes, dumplings, burritos, burger patties, vegetables, fruit). A vitamin wouldn't hurt. I've had similar habits, some that still remain with me today so I get it. It's better to aim to make improvements to our diets over time.