BBC America's Killing Eve - Part II

Reactions:

Re: BBC America's Killing Eve - Part II

Post by Guest »

Sophia Till dives into the complex accusations of ‘queerbaiting’ in BBC’s Killing Eve, and suggests that it betrays its LGBTQ+ audience by falling victim to the ‘Bury Your Gays’ trope

https://www.varsity.co.uk/film-and-tv/23806

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

From the HR roundtable with Sandra.

DAWSON And then there are certain battles that you have when there are different directors who come in and different crews, and there are different styles, and then different writers come on board and they decide certain things about the language that your character uses, and now you have to fight for your character. You don’t necessarily know where it’s all going, but you’ve lived in this person long enough to know that this dishonors who she is. And you wonder, “If I hadn’t had so much work behind me, where would I be to fight for this?”

[...]

OH I feel like the way that you get that voice is to get a producer credit. And it took me a long time to get that credit, but if you really want to have control over your character and to be in the room while it’s being developed or to have a say, you need it. For both The Chair and the final season of Killing Eve, it’s exactly that, there are new people coming in all the time, so it’s, “Let me help you.” It’s ridiculous, but sometimes you do need to have the boundary and the protection of a title to say, “I get to be in this room.”
:mask:
[...]

What are the things that you’ve felt you needed to fight for and did?

OH The script. It’s always No. 1, because that’s the thing we work with. In TV, directors are going to come on and, honestly, you have to catch them up to speed. So, if they have the same line that you’re reading, there’s less to explain. When I moved to L.A., I started on this show [Arli$$] for HBO, a half-hour comedy about sports. I was, like, 24 and the only girl on set, it was a very male-heavy show, but I was very close with the writers, and TV is all about that relationship.

[...]

JAMES Oh, I have such a burning question that I wanted to ask [because] we were talking about shedding a character and it’s so rare that you’re seated around a table with women like you, and I’d love to know how you guys do that because I find it so hard to let go.

OH I ritualize the whole thing because you need to signal to your psyche that you are letting go of what you’ve been living in. I also get body work [like a massage] done because I have got to process that shit out immediately. And then anything that you can come up with, write a letter, whatever.

DAWSON I get really into the research around how your brain changes — you’ve literally built up different pathways and synapses. So, I have to be gentle with myself and be really communicative with my family, and sometimes I forget to do that and can be sharp or really emotional and I’m like, “Where’s that coming from? Oh right, because for eight to 12 hours a day for several months, my body doesn’t know the difference.” It’s not something you can just take on and off. That’s why people fall in love or change their whole lives around on set. You can’t just say, “I’m pretending to love someone.” If you were to do a brain scan, it would register as real.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235153330/

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 13:42
From the HR roundtable with Sandra.

DAWSON And then there are certain battles that you have when there are different directors who come in and different crews, and there are different styles, and then different writers come on board and they decide certain things about the language that your character uses, and now you have to fight for your character. You don’t necessarily know where it’s all going, but you’ve lived in this person long enough to know that this dishonors who she is. And you wonder, “If I hadn’t had so much work behind me, where would I be to fight for this?”

[...]

OH I feel like the way that you get that voice is to get a producer credit. And it took me a long time to get that credit, but if you really want to have control over your character and to be in the room while it’s being developed or to have a say, you need it. For both The Chair and the final season of Killing Eve, it’s exactly that, there are new people coming in all the time, so it’s, “Let me help you.” It’s ridiculous, but sometimes you do need to have the boundary and the protection of a title to say, “I get to be in this room.”
:mask:
[...]

What are the things that you’ve felt you needed to fight for and did?

OH The script. It’s always No. 1, because that’s the thing we work with. In TV, directors are going to come on and, honestly, you have to catch them up to speed. So, if they have the same line that you’re reading, there’s less to explain. When I moved to L.A., I started on this show [Arli$$] for HBO, a half-hour comedy about sports. I was, like, 24 and the only girl on set, it was a very male-heavy show, but I was very close with the writers, and TV is all about that relationship.

[...]

JAMES Oh, I have such a burning question that I wanted to ask [because] we were talking about shedding a character and it’s so rare that you’re seated around a table with women like you, and I’d love to know how you guys do that because I find it so hard to let go.

OH I ritualize the whole thing because you need to signal to your psyche that you are letting go of what you’ve been living in. I also get body work [like a massage] done because I have got to process that shit out immediately. And then anything that you can come up with, write a letter, whatever.

DAWSON I get really into the research around how your brain changes — you’ve literally built up different pathways and synapses. So, I have to be gentle with myself and be really communicative with my family, and sometimes I forget to do that and can be sharp or really emotional and I’m like, “Where’s that coming from? Oh right, because for eight to 12 hours a day for several months, my body doesn’t know the difference.” It’s not something you can just take on and off. That’s why people fall in love or change their whole lives around on set. You can’t just say, “I’m pretending to love someone.” If you were to do a brain scan, it would register as real.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235153330/
Yeah she sounds traumatized :lol: wtf happened bts during s4 =_=

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

"I have got to process that shit out immediately" - woah
They did Eve so dirty.
On top of that, she had to fight for every little thing. I bet it was exhausting.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 13:02
Sophia Till dives into the complex accusations of ‘queerbaiting’ in BBC’s Killing Eve, and suggests that it betrays its LGBTQ+ audience by falling victim to the ‘Bury Your Gays’ trope

https://www.varsity.co.uk/film-and-tv/23806
"The smile on Eve’s face after kissing Villanelle says it all. She attained the peace she longed for that night on Tower Bridge. There was nothing to save her from. There will be no salvation from Villanelle’s death — neither for Eve nor Killing Eve’s queer audience"

:bigcry:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Some good NSFW art :blinkwide:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So Sandra is a Yellowjackets watcher, I guess i need to watch. Does anyone follow it, is it worth it? I need something new to watch to cure my KE dpression :bigcry:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 17:27
So Sandra is a Yellowjackets watcher, I guess i need to watch. Does anyone follow it, is it worth it? I need something new to watch to cure my KE dpression :bigcry:
Yeah I watched it, it’s pretty good I really liked it, the characters are great and acting is really good.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Damn Sandra saying she had to fight for continuity of character development, scripts and how ridiculous it was with all the new people, after specifically mentioning only the last season of KE (which is interesting cause she was producer in the past seasons too) tells me all I need to know :mask: LN and Sally should be ashamed of themselves really.
On the other hand she's looking delicious or as twitter is saying, super daddy :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Ffs what a luck with KE :eyeroll:, on the good side I guess actors learned something from the experience that will help them to voice their opinion from now forward. One may think that after Grey's Sandra knew it but no!! Sally's stupid choice to have a new writer room every season created this mess

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 15:56
"I have got to process that shit out immediately" - woah
They did Eve so dirty.
On top of that, she had to fight for every little thing. I bet it was exhausting.
And they still got last minute changed scripts right before filming. Sandra being all like Wow you guys had the same directors all through it, or the shade about knowing characters arc all at once
I just can't compute with the mental exhaustion, especially for someone like Sandra who truly goes deep with characters motivates etc. I remember how Sandie seemed to really like where s3 finale ended. Then LN decided she wanted to shake things up. Whacks.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Watching this HR roundtable... very interesting!
The way Jodie is executive producer in all her new projects now, speaks volumes. I like to think she took advice from Sandra on this.
If KE was very collaborative, and if she wants to continue to have that voice and speak up if something isn't right with her character in her next projects, sometimes, yes, you need to have the protection of a title to be able to do so.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:08
The way Jodie is executive producer in all her new projects now, speaks volumes. I like to think she took advice from Sandra on this.
If KE was very collaborative, and if she wants to continue to have that voice and speak up if something isn't right with her character in her next projects, sometimes, yes, you need to have the protection of a title to be able to do so.
I think she said so too or did I dream it? I remember a similar quote recently from Jodie few months ago. But its very telling to me that Sandra stresses the last season part. Ke changed head writers and directors all the time and she was producer in s3 already (not that it helped Eve's arc T__T), so it's interesting how the focus is only on the final season. With all her other shades, at this point that rumors about bts problems has to be true.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 17:48
Ffs what a luck with KE :eyeroll:, on the good side I guess actors learned something from the experience that will help them to voice their opinion from now forward. One may think that after Grey's Sandra knew it but no!! Sally's stupid choice to have a new writer room every season created this mess
Voicing your opinions doesn't guarantee they're gonna listen to you as we know with Sandra who talked about having to constantly fight for what she believed in. But there's probably a lot of things they didn't make happen no matter if the actors wanted them.

To actually have some control you have to be like Margot Robbie or Reese Witherspoon and have your own production company. Then you can be on top of things. Being an Executive Producer can only get you so far.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:17
Guest wrote:
Voicing your opinions doesn't guarantee they're gonna listen to you as we know with Sandra who talked about having to constantly fight for what she believed in. But there's probably a lot of things they didn't make happen no matter if the actors wanted them.

To actually have some control you have to be like Margot Robbie or Reese Witherspoon and have your own production company. Then you can be on top of things. Being an Executive Producer can only get you so far.
I honestly think S should start her own company, the way she approaches art and media is inspiring

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

We know this already thanks to kayleigh's semi shady podcast answer from last year when she joked about them being "so wrong" and how she voiced her ideas about certain things but couldn't always fight a losing battle, how it was always the 3 big decision makers having the final saying etc. If anything Sandra reminding LN of continuity like that karaoke scene or fighting to have Eve loving V better and giving us a longer private kiss is the only savable thing. Sounds like s4 was very difficult if Sandra tried this hard to ~fix it. I don't remember them making comments quite like this in the past. Like yeah i remember some light shade when Sandra mentioned having to fight about the Korean thing during s3 for Eve's job, but it wasn't as major.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Hypothetical question. If KE officials decide to do a S5 with Kayleigh as a show runner, and show us that V somehow survived and continue the E and V storie ofc in this S5 would you be able to forgive the fiasco, the pain, anger, sadness etc. they made us go through with S4?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:52
Hypothetical question. If KE officials decide to do a S5 with Kayleigh as a show runner, and show us that V somehow survived and continue the E and V storie ofc in this S5 would you be able to forgive the fiasco, the pain, anger, sadness etc. they made us go through with S4?
Forgive who? We knew of Sally's opinion on VE since early days and I wouldn't want to watch anything with L either. They can rot. If they somehow give us a better ending it would be due to the backlash pressure on the network and kayleighs better writing. The depth of ep 6 over anything Laura wrote was already apparent, I don't need any hypothetical s5 to know that.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
I could forgive everything if they delivered another season of the same quality as S1, but I think that would require PWB to come back as head writer, and that’s probably the only way they could convince SO and JC sign on for another season anyway.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:33
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

I honestly think S should start her own company, the way she approaches art and media is inspiring
I'm surprised she hasn't already. She surely has the money for it and it's the best way to actually help the industry move towards positive change.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:14
Guest wrote:
I think she said so too or did I dream it? I remember a similar quote recently from Jodie few months ago. But its very telling to me that Sandra stresses the last season part. Ke changed head writers and directors all the time and she was producer in s3 already (not that it helped Eve's arc T__T), so it's interesting how the focus is only on the final season. With all her other shades, at this point that rumors about bts problems has to be true.
I think S1-2-3 had in common one recurring director who was also exec producer: Damon Thomas.
Losing some of the few people who have experience on the show and know the characters must be hard.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 18:59
Guest wrote:
Forgive who? We knew of Sally's opinion on VE since early days and I wouldn't want to watch anything with L either. They can rot. If they somehow give us a better ending it would be due to the backlash pressure on the network and kayleighs better writing. The depth of ep 6 over anything Laura wrote was already apparent, I don't need any hypothetical s5 to know that.
Yeah. A hypothetical s5 would be made only to try to re-enter in the good graces of the audience and the critics, and to regain a bit of the cred they lost, not to 'fix' a storyline and an execution that the producer and the writer had already deemed as the ideal conclusion to the characters' journey. And even if they did, the production would take a lot of time to start, since our ladies are well booked for long-term projects, withK movies, tv series and voice-acting. In the most optimistical situation, it would take at least 3 years, maybe 4, to start to talk about a 5th season.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 19:19
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Yeah. A hypothetical s5 would be made only to try to re-enter in the good graces of the audience and the critics, and to regain a bit of the cred they lost, not to 'fix' a storyline and an execution that the producer and the writer had already deemed as the ideal conclusion to the characters' journey. And even if they did, the production would take a lot of time to start, since our ladies are well booked for long-term projects, withK movies, tv series and voice-acting. In the most optimistical situation, it would take at least 3 years, maybe 4, to start to talk about a 5th season.
In 4 years it wouldn't even be on their radar, Phoebe or not imo. it's how Sandra is, closed chapters and all of that, ABC and co offered a huge deal of money to return on Grey's i heard a bit ago but she moved on. In the same line, Jodie's career is taking off, why would she tie herself down to something done and ended already when there must be new interesting projects awaiting. Not to mention Sandra is approaching 50 no? Would she play a post s4 Eve after so many years? It's all so unlikely, if they wanted to fix it they would need to secure all crew too, it would need to happen straight away. This year is all booked for Sandie, and most likely 2023 too, Jodie will be busy with Big Swiss too soon idk if that's a limited series or if it'll be extended but it'd take at least a year. I just think this is it, they could have continued if they wanted, if we are to take AMC's presidents words for good. Yet someone decided to have s4 as the last one
It would have been amazing with Kayleigh on the reins but ....

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 19:33
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
In 4 years it wouldn't even be on their radar, Phoebe or not imo. it's how Sandra is, closed chapters and all of that, ABC and co offered a huge deal of money to return on Grey's i heard a bit ago but she moved on. In the same line, Jodie's career is taking off, why would she tie herself down to something done and ended already when there must be new interesting projects awaiting. Not to mention Sandra is approaching 50 no? Would she play a post s4 Eve after so many years? It's all so unlikely, if they wanted to fix it they would need to secure all crew too, it would need to happen straight away. This year is all booked for Sandie, and most likely 2023 too, Jodie will be busy with Big Swiss too soon idk if that's a limited series or if it'll be extended but it'd take at least a year. I just think this is it, they could have continued if they wanted, if we are to take AMC's presidents words for good. Yet someone decided to have s4 as the last one
Yes unfortunately we will never get KE back with the same actors. Maybe a spin-off or remake will be made in 5-10 years but everything will be different.

I don’t see Sandie coming back anyways. The whole committing to something longer seems like Jodie doesn’t want to do that at least not anytime soon. That’s probably why she took Big Swiss because of it only being one season and movies aren’t long term either. Same with Sandra.

Hypotension if they ever did do something related to KE. It might be a scene or two or maybe at best am episode or a movie. 99% sure that’s not happening but that’s probably something they would more likely sign up for.

I wonder if the Carolyn spin-off ever did get greenlit if they would have a future episode and try to bring Sandra back (maybe Jodie to declare V isn’t actually dead) but just for one scene.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Realistically, why would the network even want to fix it when in media history that had never happened before? Sometimes showrunners and producers give some different degrees of lackluster apologies, but if nothing was done by HBO when people panned GoT's ending, why would Amc waste money and resources in something they approved of, initially? Yes the PR mess had them scrambling and we got the online radio silence from all parts and no more promotion like KE accounts, but the best thing they can do now (the network, Sid, Laura etc) is quietly try to move on. Sally would be delusional to try to campaign for any award for herself

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

At least Sandra had a voice and some influence in the writers room to try and bring that continuity to Eve's character, poor Jodie probably had less power and you can tell the way they did Villanelle dirty in those final two seasons. I mean it's well documented, we've talked about it many times here how we hated what they did to V. But thank god for Sandra and Jodie trying to salvage their characters through their sheer hard work and acting skills because they at least manage to deliver the ending with such poor material. But that showrunner that shall not be named :mask: almost ruined Villanelle for me, I think Kayleigh's writing saved her, just about by bringing V's darkness back. Ep 6 was season 1 level writing for me.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 19:40
Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 19:33
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Yes unfortunately we will never get KE back with the same actors. Maybe a spin-off or remake will be made in 5-10 years but everything will be different.

I don’t see Sandie coming back anyways. The whole committing to something longer seems like Jodie doesn’t want to do that at least not anytime soon. That’s probably why she took Big Swiss because of it only being one season and movies aren’t long term either. Same with Sandra.

Hypotension if they ever did do something related to KE. It might be a scene or two or maybe at best am episode or a movie. 99% sure that’s not happening but that’s probably something they would more likely sign up for.

I wonder if the Carolyn spin-off ever did get greenlit if they would have a future episode and try to bring Sandra back (maybe Jodie to declare V isn’t actually dead) but just for one scene.
something like a special one-off, I think stuff like parks and rec and other wrapped shows sometimes do movies or special episodes after years. I'm not sure if the spin off is even going to be a thing now with all the backlash and Sally magically staying vague, hersaying it's more of a wish (when we all know Deadline doesn't create fake rumors) is very telling.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 20:07
At least Sandra had a voice and some influence in the writers room to try and bring that continuity to Eve's character, poor Jodie probably had less power and you can tell the way they did Villanelle dirty in those final two seasons. I mean it's well documented, we've talked about it many times here how we hated what they did to V. But thank god for Sandra and Jodie trying to salvage their characters through their sheer hard work and acting skills because they at least manage to deliver the ending with such poor material. But that showrunner that shall not be named :mask: almost ruined Villanelle for me, I think Kayleigh's writing saved her, just about by bringing V's darkness back. Ep 6 was season 1 level writing for me.
head writer* but yeah. But not just LN, Sandra spoke about writerS, having to remind the whole room about Eve's feelings for V weren't just painted in anger or denial and that Eve knew how to love her by the end of it. I just can't imagine how it would be without her influence, from Kayleigh's podcast though it doesn't sound like tptb (whoever it was, Sally and co, LN too, etc) were very willing to accept other ideas. This ego stuff was their downfall. You can tell s4 was written to cater for THEIR taste, LN being excited to write for Fiona the most, Sally and her self-inserts ideas, them being fan of Camille, their visions about the future of VE ....

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 20:06
:$
awww qmtd

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 19:16
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I think S1-2-3 had in common one recurring director who was also exec producer: Damon Thomas.
Losing some of the few people who have experience on the show and know the characters must be hard.
I wasn't keeping up with s4 news pre season, so Damon wasn't involved this year? And if not, do we know why?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

same, that's why I'm still here :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

yay love this writer too

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 21:01
yay love this writer too

Let’s go. I also saw some other writers also rewriting s4. I saw someone posted the comic fix it one too on here. I’m excited for those

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 20:17
Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 20:06
:$
awww qmtd
I love Rosario, she’s great in this roundtable too, talking about fighting for her characters as well. Now I want her and Sandra working together :hudoin:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The kiss is at almost 2M views on twitter :rageblush: :dance2:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 21:22
The kiss is at almost 2M views on twitter :rageblush: :dance2:
So close anon

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 May 2022, 18:36
Cowards :lol: no media wants to ask them directly about the backlash I see... At LA times they are Sandra's admirers I've noticed over the years, it's a big publication, I was hoping for more, but I have a feeling that to have a proper interview/ quote certain things are banned
important

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I wanted a scene with bb V running her hand through Eve's hair :'(

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Most emmy predictions didn't even give KE a nom as best drama show either.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 21:31
Guest wrote:
Cowards :lol: no media wants to ask them directly about the backlash I see... At LA times they are Sandra's admirers I've noticed over the years, it's a big publication, I was hoping for more, but I have a feeling that to have a proper interview/ quote certain things are banned
important
"After the Emmys" :eyeroll: so when no one cares lol just say you don't care and go

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Omfg what have they done with my favorite show!!!! :bigcry: :rageblush: :argh:
More then 6 weeks have passed and I still have this waves of frustration when I think about KE! Damn youuu Sally and LN!! Fuckingg biiitches :argh:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 20:21
Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 19:16
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I wasn't keeping up with s4 news pre season, so Damon wasn't involved this year? And if not, do we know why?
DA He was filming something else but was still involved in the season as an EP.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 21:45
Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 21:31
Guest wrote:
important
"After the Emmys" :eyeroll: so when no one cares lol just say you don't care and go
Do they mean after the Emmy’s campaign which ends in a couple of weeks or literally after the Emmy’s in like 4 months???

That’s kind of annoying

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Better than nothing... still a new (big) outlet talking about it, and keeping the attention of the mess they created. It was obvious all these stuff were filmed/done in advance and just released later on, kind of funny though to think LN/Sally were under the impression Emmy or others would praise their shitty finale.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 21:16
Guest wrote:
25 May 2022, 21:01
yay love this writer too

Let’s go. I also saw some other writers also rewriting s4. I saw someone posted the comic fix it one too on here. I’m excited for those
one of the screeners got so pissed off by the ending she started writing her own fiction :lol: I haven't read it yet but heard good things on twitter, here:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/38829 ... s/97096449