The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Film Adaptation

Reactions:

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Film Adaptation

Post by Guest »

The movie will be an adaption of the book which bares the same name. It's about a fictional Hollywood Golden Age actress, Evelyn Hugo, who marries 7 times to 7 different men however most are beards and she is in love with another actress for much of her life.

Anyone else excited to see who they will cast and also if it will be a mini series or feature film? I'm glad that it's no longer with Freeform. The author has 2 other works being adapted, one is going to Amazon and the other to Hulu. Hopefully Evelyn Hugo will go to one of those as well.

Reactions:

Re: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Film Adaptation

Post by Guest »

A lot of people want Ana De Armas as Evelyn but she's already doing a Marilyn Monroe biopic so this would probably feel reductive. I personally would like to see someone like Eiza Gonzalez. Evelyn is a white or white-passing latina and I think Eiza fits the bill.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I’m so relieved! I’m glad that it’s no longer with freeform. They wouldn’t have to make significant changes to the adaptation and it will remain true to what the novel stands for. The book is deserving of this since the author’s other works have better platforms in Hulu and Amazon. I’m glad about this development. ^_^

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Selena Gomez

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 14:03
Selena Gomez
I think Demi Lovato would be better since she actually dates women

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 14:09
Guest wrote:
Selena Gomez
These 2 Disney flops who can’t act need to stay the fuck away from this.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 14:14
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Selena Gomez
But only Selena is latina

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Selena Gomez
x2 Demi or Selena... wtf?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I think Eiza would be a great Evelyn but Idk who would be good for Celia.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I really can’t think of anyone for Celia :hmmm: I guess they can pick any actress and just have her dye her hair red.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Do you think they’ll stick to the characters’ descriptions and ethnicity? Every pair is biracial (Black/Whits) these days you never know

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 14:36
Do you think they’ll stick to the characters’ descriptions and ethnicity? Every pair is biracial (Black/Whits) these days you never know
Evelyn’s background plays a big part in who she is and I highly doubt they will change her description/ethnicity. And isn’t Reid working on the adaption?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

All I want is for them to cast two unknown talented actresses who have great chemistry and are easy on the eyes. But I know it’s not that easy. They’ll also need two other actresses for the older versions of Celia and Evelyn

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Taylor Swift of her time.

Reactions:

Post by --guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 14:33
I really can’t think of anyone for Celia :hmmm: I guess they can pick any actress and just have her dye her hair red.
WHAT? outrage! why can't we have a cute actual redhead? plenty of actresses are redheads. don't deprive me of this please :angel:

GU.EST
Reactions:

Post by GU.EST »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 16:01
All I want is for them to cast two unknown talented actresses who have great chemistry and are easy on the eyes. But I know it’s not that easy. They’ll also need two other actresses for the older versions of Celia and Evelyn
Yes actresses with chemistry and who don't look in pain when they have to kiss another woman. that's crucial
I have to say I've almost finished the book and I really don't like Evelyn at all. I can't relate to her bisexuality nor her hunger for fame and money.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

--guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 23:35
Guest wrote:
WHAT? outrage! why can't we have a cute actual redhead? plenty of actresses are redheads. don't deprive me of this please :angel:
DA A lot of the actresses famous for being redheaded now are not actually. Which are among the "plenty"?

Why's the thread title and OP say film/movie? Isn't it going to be a show?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

--guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA. Redhead, with blue eyes and freckles :rageblush:

Guest.
Reactions:

Post by Guest. »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 23:51
--guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA A lot of the actresses famous for being redheaded now are not actually. Which are among the "plenty"?

true, some are fake redheads. but the real ones: Karen Gillan, Amy Adams (but she's too high profile for this show I guess), Kate Mara, Sophie Turner. There are more. But the one that came to mind is Hannah Einbinder who played opposite Jean Smart in the show Hacks. She has chemistry with her ex-girlfriend on the show and isn't awkward when she kisses another woman on screen

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

White Latina or white passing Latina? There's a difference between an Anya Taylor Joy and an Eiza González.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest. wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 00:04
Guest wrote:
--guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

true, some are fake redheads. but the real ones: Karen Gillan, Amy Adams (but she's too high profile for this show I guess), Kate Mara, Sophie Turner. There are more. But the one that came to mind is Hannah Einbinder who played opposite Jean Smart in the show Hacks. She has chemistry with her ex-girlfriend on the show and isn't awkward when she kisses another woman on screen
It depends on where this goes. If it ends up on Hulu, they could try for a bigger actress.

Amy Adams and Sophie Turner are naturally blonde. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest. wrote:
Guest wrote:
--guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Is Jessica Chastain too much of an ask... :bigcry:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

This is excellent news! I thought the book was subpar and yet entertaining, but it’s a great story that could turn into something really good in the right hands. I loved the suggestion of Eiza Gonzalez as Evelyn

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 00:11
Guest. wrote:
Guest wrote:
--guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Is Jessica Chastain too much of an ask... :bigcry:
Only if she’s playing Celia in her 30s and 40s, because she met Evelyn when she was 19 years old

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Why do I see Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez as suggestions for Evelyn wtf :rofl:

I'm glad this got moved to a different platform because Freeform (mostly) sucks. So is this going to be a mini-series? I think it's perfect for something like 6-8 episodes.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 00:10
White Latina or white passing Latina? There's a difference between an Anya Taylor Joy and an Eiza González.
I think white passing because in the book it mentions that Evelyn gets some minor work done to hide her more ethnic features. It reminded me of what Rita Hayworth went through. So definitely more Eiza than Anya.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 00:30
Why do I see Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez as suggestions for Evelyn wtf :rofl:

I'm glad this got moved to a different platform because Freeform (mostly) sucks. So is this going to be a mini-series? I think it's perfect for something like 6-8 episodes.
We don’t know yet what it will be on the new platform but I’d imagine that it’s a mini series because that’s what the author wants and she says she’s pleased with the direction it’s heading in.

.guest.
Reactions:

Post by .guest. »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 01:50
Guest wrote:
I think white passing because in the book it mentions that Evelyn gets some minor work done to hide her more ethnic features. It reminded me of what Rita Hayworth went through. So definitely more Eiza than Anya.
in the book the studio makes her lose some weight and dyes her hair blond. that's it. Ethnic features? lol what does that mean. Cubans are descendants from Spaniards. Have you been to Spain?
And Rita Hayworth's father was Spanish ie European. it's always confusing for Americans to grasp that Spain or France for that matter but curiously France isn't a Latin country in the US even though French is a Latin language (make it make sense) has people who can have blond, red or brown hair. Some Spanish tan easily, some don't. Some are swarthy, some pale as fuck.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Eiza would be great imo, she's a great actress and she looks amazing and the hoard of fans she collected from i care a lot would def follow her and watch this. The issue is would she do another role where she snogs a woman? Considering how her handlers want to present her, they might not want it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

How about Adelaide Kane?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 16:03
The Taylor Swift of her time.
That would be the perfect meta-sarcastic casting, but I don't think she has the acting chops for a leading role even as herself.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

.guest. wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 10:42
Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 01:50
Guest wrote:
in the book the studio makes her lose some weight and dyes her hair blond. that's it. Ethnic features? lol what does that mean. Cubans are descendants from Spaniards. Have you been to Spain?
And Rita Hayworth's father was Spanish ie European. it's always confusing for Americans to grasp that Spain or France for that matter but curiously France isn't a Latin country in the US even though French is a Latin language (make it make sense) has people who can have blond, red or brown hair. Some Spanish tan easily, some don't. Some are swarthy, some pale as fuck.
Not sure why you're so defensive about this since I don't think it really matters? Most Cubans are multiracial in some capacity. Many self described "white Cubans" have some Native and African ancestry which makes their features a bit swarthier than say a WASP from the USA. That's all I was implying by "ethnic features" The point is that Evelyn shouldn't look like some white girl from Idaho. So white or white passing? It doesn't matter in the literal sense I think we both agree on that. She should be played by a latina with darker features. So no not someone who looks like Anya but someone who looks like Eiza. Some people would describe Eiza as white, some as white passing. Doesn't really matter.

Also in the books Evelyn does more than die her hair and lose weight. TJR talks directly about her inspiration for Evelyn here:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 11:43
How about Adelaide Kane?
She looks Anglo

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Theyre gonna have to at least cast a latina maybe a cuban actress since anything less would not be 'appreciate' and people will get upset. Which is understandable to a degree since Evelyns character ethnic background does play a large part about her identity in especially as an actress in Old Hollywood times. 'White washing' her character would cause a backlash.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

If the character is white or white passing Cuban then they should get Ana de Armas. I like Eiza but people are starting to become really sensitive about nationality in the Latine community and there might be a backlash if they choose a Mexican or an Argentinian woman.

Jax
Reactions:

Post by Jax »

This almost seems like a Ginny and Georgia situation where there were two actresses as Ginny. One adult Ginny and one teenage Ginny.

There might need to be 3 Evelyn. The one giving the interview. One who would be from late 20s and one teenage Evelyn. That may be a tall order to find actresses that look alike at the right ages.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 15:28
If the character is white or white passing Cuban then they should get Ana de Armas. I like Eiza but people are starting to become really sensitive about nationality in the Latine community and there might be a backlash if they choose a Mexican or an Argentinian woman.
Mmmm, i don't know if its the latin community who are on the forefront of anger about this kind of stuff (i'm mexican by the way). I think its a lot of white knighting from other people who want to be angry on our behalf sometimes or on behalf of others.

that being said, Cuba in the 50s/ 60s seems so romantic to me, if they explore some of that for her character (maybe theyre shooting one of Evelyns films in Cuba or she has family there), aesthetically it would be beautiful.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

If they have to cast a queer Latina actress, it should be Lorenza Izzo. She's hot and queer and is a good actress.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
i don't think people would be too upset if she's not specifically Cuban but i'd love it if they did cast an unknown cuban american actress that fits the roll.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 16:26
If they have to cast a queer Latina actress, it should be Lorenza Izzo. She's hot and queer and is a good actress.
She doesn't have a face that works with that Old Hollywood look to me.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 15:52
Guest wrote:
Mmmm, i don't know if its the latin community who are on the forefront of anger about this kind of stuff (i'm mexican by the way). I think its a lot of white knighting from other people who want to be angry on our behalf sometimes or on behalf of others.

that being said, Cuba in the 50s/ 60s seems so romantic to me, if they explore some of that for her character (maybe theyre shooting one of Evelyns films in Cuba or she has family there), aesthetically it would be beautiful.
TBF I think the Mexican community is the chillest regarding that. Look at Supergirl, they decided to turn a white character Mexican and then casted an Italian actress and we were chill, it was others that got upset for us. Then they turned a mestiza Mexican character from the comics into a white Argentinean and we were like "cool, she's pretty".

hgf
Reactions:

Post by hgf »

Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 14:15
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Selena Gomez
da. according to wikipedia demi's birth father was latino...

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

hgf wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 16:56
Guest wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 14:15
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Selena Gomez
da. according to wikipedia demi's birth father was latino...
I think Demi is fine
But Evelyn was described as an goddess so ......
Ana de Ames, Anya Taylor-Joy or Eiza are better choices

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Geri Halliwell when she was ginger and she is half Spanish..(if she was an actress)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

i choose Bryce Dallas Howard

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 17:26
Geri Halliwell when she was ginger and she is half Spanish..(if she was an actress)
:nervous:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

What are the ages that the actresses need to play?

I think Ana is at a good age to play early twenties to late thirties and, with make up, late forties:

Eiza more or less the same but there's something too youthful still, I'd say late teens to forty at most:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

We are certainly aiming for the stars here, watch them cast some ugly unknowns or change their ethnicity so not to get backlash since it's a thing these days.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It's been awhile since I read it so correct me if I'm wrong. We first meet Evelyn when she is a teen. And then I believe she is 21 or so when she meets Celia (who is a few years younger than her). The book jumps around a bit and covers until she's about in her 40's. She's also an old woman telling her life story to the journalist. So she's around 70-80 there. So yeah, they'll probably need three different actresses. Or they could use prosthetics/makeup/aging cgi for the older versions of Evelyn and Celia.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

You guys have to remember that the story is mostly set in the 50s and 60s so there’s no way they’ll cast a woman of color to play Celia or Evelyn unless they completely ignore the fact that Old Hollywood actors were all white or white passing. For Evelyn they have to cast a Latina (probably with Eiza’s skin tone) because it’s very important to the story. But Celia will 100% be white