Re: Fanfic author pet peeves

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 01:55
Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 01:18
Guest wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:46
As a ESL I can't read fics with a lot of difficult words and metaphors and that’s kinda sad :unsure:
As an ESL myself, I credit fanfiction with improving my english. Seriously. I don't read as much fanfic these days, but back when I first discovered it I was practically obsessed with it. I remember when I was like 13 or so spending a whole summer doing almost nothing but reading fanfic. And it definitely helped bring my english from basic tourist level to fluent. Like you, I'd see words and expressions I didn't understand, and I'd just google it and learn a new word. Eventually, I stopped having to google stuff. Hell, I even learned some unusual/less used words from fanfic authors showing off their thesaurus :P
DA
I have basically the same experience :lol: At the time I discovered ff I’d read plenty of uni textbooks in english but ff gave me a lot of nuances in more “normal” english (and a significantly larger vocabulary)
Fwiw ESL anons, I'm an English speaking native, and I've read some fics by authors who were ESL, and they were amazingly written. Like I wouldn't have known otherwise, and stylistically they were miles above the rest. And when I come across fics published in other languages, I always wonder if I should pop them into google translate lol, but I know I'm spoiled.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 01:18
Guest wrote:
As a ESL I can't read fics with a lot of difficult words and metaphors and that’s kinda sad :unsure:
As an ESL myself, I credit fanfiction with improving my english. Seriously. I don't read as much fanfic these days, but back when I first discovered it I was practically obsessed with it. I remember when I was like 13 or so spending a whole summer doing almost nothing but reading fanfic. And it definitely helped bring my english from basic tourist level to fluent. Like you, I'd see words and expressions I didn't understand, and I'd just google it and learn a new word. Eventually, I stopped having to google stuff. Hell, I even learned some unusual/less used words from fanfic authors showing off their thesaurus :P
OP here. Yeah I'm been reading fics for years now and they also helped me to improve my english (a lot, a lot) but there are some fics with so many dificult words that's exaustive trying to read them so I just avoid it but I bet I'm missing some great stories :\

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 22:58
Guest wrote:
This makes me realize how difficult it would be for you in certain fandoms. Anything with medical jargon would be very difficult.
:rofl: exactly

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I really don’t like the destruction of the English language that is occurring with how sentences are structured. There are so many authors now who will write an atrocious sentence like “I am stood at the bus stop” and think there is nothing wrong with it at all. What kind of school system teaches students the wrong way to construct a sentence? It’s “ I am standing at the bus stop” you poor ignorant fools.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 10:51
I really don’t like the destruction of the English language that is occurring with how sentences are structured. There are so many authors now who will write an atrocious sentence like “I am stood at the bus stop” and think there is nothing wrong with it at all. What kind of school system teaches students the wrong way to construct a sentence? It’s “ I am standing at the bus stop” you poor ignorant fools.
Isn't that a typical way of saying it in British English?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 11:15
Guest wrote:
DA yes, it is not strictly correct but widely-used colloquial British English, and so acceptable for a lot of British character POV, providing they’re not meant to be HM The Queen or something.

That leads me to my own pet peeve, which is American authors writing for British audiences or vice versa and not bothering to take Americans or Britishisms out as required. I’m in the U.K. and have written for American ships and I’m sure I got stuff wrong though lol!! — but when you see people have Americans celebrate “Boxing Day”, or have British women give each other “hickeys”, it’s deeply cringe.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:02
Burly detective syndrome.

At the first sign of it I'll stop reading, which pretty much means I don't read fic at all anymore.

But seriously, if any amateur writers happen to see this avoiding burly detective syndrome is an easy thing to work on that will really improve your writing style.
The blonde, the brunette, the taller woman, the petite woman. The woman with the amber eyes :rage:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 11:22
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA yes, it is not strictly correct but widely-used colloquial British English, and so acceptable for a lot of British character POV, providing they’re not meant to be HM The Queen or something.

That leads me to my own pet peeve, which is American authors writing for British audiences or vice versa and not bothering to take Americans or Britishisms out as required. I’m in the U.K. and have written for American ships and I’m sure I got stuff wrong though lol!! — but when you see people have Americans celebrate “Boxing Day”, or have British women give each other “hickeys”, it’s deeply cringe.
I’m Canadian so we have a mix of both American spellings and British ones so I switch it a lot when I’m writing but I try to notice it these days. The ‘stood at/sat at’ is interesting because thought everyone said it but apparently it’s a British thing.

What I hate is when writers overdo it to make you know that the character has a different culture. Eg. ‘Would you like a cuppa, young lads?’ It’s like yeah, we get it. So annoying because most times the characters aren’t even like that in the show or movie.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 11:40
Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 11:22
Guest wrote:

I’m Canadian so we have a mix of both American spellings and British ones so I switch it a lot when I’m writing but I try to notice it these days. The ‘stood at/sat at’ is interesting because thought everyone said it but apparently it’s a British thing.

What I hate is when writers overdo it to make you know that the character has a different culture. Eg. ‘Would you like a cuppa, young lads?’ It’s like yeah, we get it. So annoying because most times the characters aren’t even like that in the show or movie.
Thanks for that I was wondering why I was confused by the OP original complaint about standing by the bus stop as it seemed fine to me. Anyway, when it comes to the prose I'm not overly fussed if its British or American spelling/phrasing. However, the dialogue and the cultural references should be appropriate to the setting of the fandom - so no boxing day for American characters for example.

You mentioned the stereotypical British slang, and this reminds me of Batwoman. In that a British character is constantly calling people "love". However, that slang doesn't fit at all with the characters age or background so it sounds really weird.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 11:56

You mentioned the stereotypical British slang, and this reminds me of Batwoman. In that a British character is constantly calling people "love". However, that slang doesn't fit at all with the characters age or background so it sounds really weird.
I noticed that as well. I think Julia’s hot so I don’t mind but it does stick out lol. Also the ‘bloody’ thing. I know some people say it, but it’s only ever been older members of my family, everyone else uses much more current slang. Oh wait actually the love thing has become popular in fics recently. I see people siding it as pet names and I don’t mind it, but it only sounds natural about half the time. Nicknames in general are iffy—if it’s not canon, it’s can sound so off.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:49
Guest wrote:

I noticed that as well. I think Julia’s hot so I don’t mind but it does stick out lol. Also the ‘bloody’ thing. I know some people say it, but it’s only ever been older members of my family, everyone else uses much more current slang. Oh wait actually the love thing has become popular in fics recently. I see people siding it as pet names and I don’t mind it, but it only sounds natural about half the time. Nicknames in general are iffy—if it’s not canon, it’s can sound so off.
Bloody works for John Constantine but not Julie for me. But OTOH bloody, bugger etc are a way for PG-13 type shows to slip in a bunch of swearing while being on at a family friendly time. I don't know that the swearing adds that much to a show. I saw someone posting recently about the amount of swearing in The Wilds and I honestly didn't even notice there was lots of swearing for a teenage show.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

I only ever hear 'love' said condescendingly by older men to women they don't know, like those on the Tesco checkout who have just scanned their crate of Carling - "Thanks love" - A simple 'thanks' will suffice. It does my head in. I've not seen it in fic yet but it will be an automatic close tab if I ever do because I absolutely won't be able to read it in the voice of anybody but 52 year old Gary with a face full of stubble.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 13:00
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

I only ever hear 'love' said condescendingly by older men to women they don't know, like those on the Tesco checkout who have just scanned their crate of Carling - "Thanks love" - A simple 'thanks' will suffice. It does my head in. I've not seen it in fic yet but it will be an automatic close tab if I ever do because I absolutely won't be able to read it in the voice of anybody but 52 year old Gary with a face full of stubble.
That's projection. I've had plenty of older men call me "love" and it never bothered me. They are mostly just being nice. Also, I've heard plenty of older women use it as well. Its a generational thing which is why I find it a bit odd coming for Julia.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Not a Brit, but seconding this. I've just heard it in spoken British English & whenever I read a fic with sentences like that ('stood at', I immediately know the author is from the UK - or at the very least is influenced by British English.

Ditto for any sentences that resemble "I've no plans to see her again". In general, 'I have' doesn't get contracted as much if you're from another English speaking country. If it does get contracted, it will always be: "I've got no plans to see her again".

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
sorry but destruction of the English language is so funny. i know you’re being serious but this sounds like my lit prof reviewing a fic lmaooo

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

A personal peeve is when a writer uses the same expression too much. Recently it’s “pressed a kiss on” as in “ She pressed a kiss on her forehead/cheek/neck/mouth” and so on. I don’t know if it’s an expression you would normally use but it’s all I notice. It’s spreading like wildfire in Avalance fics :argh:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Pet peeve authors trying to be descriptive, by using overwrought imagery and simile. I came across this gem today that just made me :blinkwide:

‘The idea did not swell any longer than it needed to, and deflated from her mind just as she opened up the hatched door to the smaller hut, flattening with the variable unease like that of a popped pimple oozing pus, seeping blood under the thick cream of yellow.’

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 09:47
Pet peeve authors trying to be descriptive, by using overwrought imagery and simile. I came across this gem today that just made me :blinkwide:

‘The idea did not swell any longer than it needed to, and deflated from her mind just as she opened up the hatched door to the smaller hut, flattening with the variable unease like that of a popped pimple oozing pus, seeping blood under the thick cream of yellow.’
Is that...is that real?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 09:57
Guest wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 09:47

Is that...is that real?
Unfortunately yes.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I find it annoying when every dialogue has the opposite person's name at the end even when it doesn't need it :argh:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 10:42
I find it annoying when every dialogue has the opposite person's name at the end even when it doesn't need it :argh:
Yes! I’ve never ever ever had a convo where we said each other’s name with each sentence. It’s weird.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 23:08
A personal peeve is when a writer uses the same expression too much. Recently it’s “pressed a kiss on” as in “ She pressed a kiss on her forehead/cheek/neck/mouth” and so on. I don’t know if it’s an expression you would normally use but it’s all I notice. It’s spreading like wildfire in Avalance fics :argh:
YES! Overusing certain phrases is awful. I don't think a lot of authors realize that they do it. I usually wait until a fic is completed so I'm usually reading multiple chapters at a time and when you do that overused phrases really stick out. I remember reading a fic where everyone was smirking. I know it wasn't meant this way but it made me think every character was really smarmy. I couldn't even focus anymore and just had to quit the fic.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Confusing waste and waist. I really don’t want to read about someone putting their hands on someone else’s waste....

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 07:50
Confusing waste and waist. I really don’t want to read about someone putting their hands on someone else’s waste....
:rofl: LOLLLLL

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
:rofl: this one makes me laugh. I bet most people wouldn't want to put their hand on someone elses waste either.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 07:52
Guest wrote:
:rofl: this one makes me laugh. I bet most people wouldn't want to put their hand on someone elses waste either.
Yeah that shit would just kill the mood

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 07:32
I remember reading a fic where everyone was smirking. I know it wasn't meant this way but it made me think every character was really smarmy. I couldn't even focus anymore and just had to quit the fic.
I feel like with this word, people use it as a replacement for smiling even though it has a totally different meaning. A smile is warm, a smirk is not. Like you said: smarmy. I wish more people knew they can just say said or not have a name tag for dialogue. It much better than repeating yourself of using a word that doesn’t make sense. But I’d rather have someone repeat a word than use the wrong one. It’s like bemused/amused. NOT the same. One is finding something slightly funny, the other is being confused. I used to get it wrong all the time but I look things up now which is my advice to everyone.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

When they write "cum" instead of "come". Women don't cum.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I hate it that most authors (even the good ones) can't separate the verbs lie and lay. She was laying in bed. What? Lay takes an object. It appears the two verbs are merging, especially in American English.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 08:37
I hate it that most authors (even the good ones) can't separate the verbs lie and lay. She was laying in bed. What? Lay takes an object. It appears the two verbs are merging, especially in American English.
Bad grammar is a huge problem. Not adding speech marks or any form of punctuation. And stories having no deeper plot that sex that’s badly written is also an issue.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Maybe she was laying eggs?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 13:11
Guest wrote:
Bad grammar is a huge problem. Not adding speech marks or any form of punctuation. And stories having no deeper plot that sex that’s badly written is also an issue.
I love some good smut as much as the next girl, but badly written PWP is annoying. Literally all you have to do is write about sex, at least spell things right and make it realistic. I also hate when there’s too much talking or they use capital letters to show someone having an orgasm or ‘screaming’ out their partners name. It just takes me out of the moment.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 21:36
Guest wrote:
Maybe she was laying eggs?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 13:46
Nicole's bras in canon:
Nicole's bras in fic:
LMAOOOOOOO
I’m all for butch rep but half the characters mentioned in this thread are barely tomboys. It’s so ridiculous.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 05:48
Guest wrote:
Nicole's bras in canon:
Nicole's bras in fic:
LMAOOOOOOO
I’m all for butch rep but half the characters mentioned in this thread are barely tomboys. It’s so ridiculous.
Which ones and do we have a cannonical evidence of what type of bras they would wear? I mean we can see what Nicole wears. I don't think Big Boo would wear something frilly but I don't really think we need to worry because who is writing a sex scene with Big Boo.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 09:48
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Nicole's bras in canon:
Nicole's bras in fic:
LMAOOOOOOO
Which ones and do we have a cannonical evidence of what type of bras they would wear? I mean we can see what Nicole wears. I don't think Big Boo would wear something frilly but I don't really think we need to worry because who is writing a sex scene with Big Boo.
? I’m was agreeing that it’s silly how people make most lesbians wear sports bras and boxers in fics lol. And idk about mainstream butches honesty, but yeah Big Boo is one.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 11:31
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

LMAOOOOOOO
? I’m was agreeing that it’s silly how people make most lesbians wear sports bras and boxers in fics lol. And idk about mainstream butches honesty, but yeah Big Boo is one.
Yeah, its a weird one. I don't come across it too often but its is Toni from The Wilds or Raelle then I'm fine with that as I'm pretty sure that is what they would wear.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 11:35
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 11:31
Guest wrote:

Yeah, its a weird one. I don't come across it too often but its is Toni from The Wilds or Raelle then I'm fine with that as I'm pretty sure that is what they would wear.
Does this count as a sport bra?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 12:30

I think Shelby’s is a tank/crop top (they show Shelbys bra it’s a normal one)and Toni’s could be a sports bra but it looks more like a bralette

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 13:09
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 12:30

I think Shelby’s is a tank/crop top (they show Shelbys bra it’s a normal one)and Toni’s could be a sports bra but it looks more like a bralette
Sure in depth knowledge of bras! :rofl:
Yeah Shelby has a normal bra when the plane first crashes. Where she gets the pink one I'm not sure.
What does define a "sports bra" then.

This must count as a sports bra

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 13:21

That’s definitely a sports bra on Toni. But more importantly, Fatin is gorgeous. I wish she’d been gay or at least bi.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 13:37
Guest wrote:

That’s definitely a sports bra on Toni. But more importantly, Fatin is gorgeous. I wish she’d been gay or at least bi.
People love the Leah/Fatin slash it seems. I don't get the Toni/Fatin shipping though, that is just weird. I want to know where they are getting all these extra bras when only Martha, Fatin and Janette's bag ever showed up.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 13:40
Guest wrote:
sorry but destruction of the English language is so funny. i know you’re being serious but this sounds like my lit prof reviewing a fic lmaooo
In a fic I recently read the author used the “She was stood/sat” etc and at the same time consequently used “whilst”. There were also many, many, many wOrDS *facepalm*

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 14:11
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
In a fic I recently read the author used the “She was stood/sat” etc and at the same time consequently used “whilst”. There were also many, many, many wOrDS *facepalm*
The “she was sat” thing is a British thing and it drives me nuts. I live here (not British) and have raised it with friends a few times. They resolutely declare it’s correct. :fool:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 13:41
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

People love the Leah/Fatin slash it seems.
I prefer Fatin and Rachel even though they hardly interacted. Don’t think there’s any fic of them though, or it’s very young. The annoying thing about high school set fics is even if the show is well written, the fanfiction is always VERY telling of the young demographic. I read one and never went back lmao.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I actually don’t mind the sat thing because I like how it sounds, ha. I also just love reading works where it’s clear the author has a terrific grasp of language and can mix more intricate grammar and writing styles with colloquialisms. Because nothing is worse than generic cliche ridden paragraphs that are boring and predictable.

What I do hate though, is when people break out the thesaurus and every other word is some eight syllable monster. Especially when they’re trying to find substitutes for ‘said’. Sometimes it works but mostly it’s like people saying, ‘the blonde’ or ‘the taller woman’. Please stop, just say said, please.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 15:15
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

The “she was sat” thing is a British thing and it drives me nuts. I live here (not British) and have raised it with friends a few times. They resolutely declare it’s correct. :fool:
It's a dialect thing. It isn't technically correct but it's very, very old, and it used to be. It's a relic of Old English that's survived outside of London, and there actually is a slightly different meaning to "I was standing".

It's what's called "stative" in other languages, you're describing the existing state of a thing rather than a verb.

"I was sat" is the "state" I was in. "I was sitting" is what I was doing. So the former is most commonly used when telling anecdotes/complaining. The suggestion is almost that I was just existing there inertly in my sitting condition as part of the furniture until some asshole came along and did some bullshit.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Surely Ruby Rose wore a sports bras as Kate Kane on Batwoman. I'm sure I remember that. Wonder what they will do style wise with NuKate.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 15:28
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I actually don’t mind the sat thing because I like how it sounds, ha. I also just love reading works where it’s clear the author has a terrific grasp of language and can mix more intricate grammar and writing styles with colloquialisms. Because nothing is worse than generic cliche ridden paragraphs that are boring and predictable.

What I do hate though, is when people break out the thesaurus and every other word is some eight syllable monster. Especially when they’re trying to find substitutes for ‘said’. Sometimes it works but mostly it’s like people saying, ‘the blonde’ or ‘the taller woman’. Please stop, just say said, please.
I get what you mean ^_^
I just get so annoyed when writers have a “thing” like for instance consequently using ‘whilst’. I doubt Sara Lance would use it in a sentence. Needless to say the fic was also riddled with ‘taller/smaller/older/blonde’ etc.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 18:37
Guest wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 15:28
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

I get what you mean ^_^
I just get so annoyed when writers have a “thing” like for instance consequently using ‘whilst’. I doubt Sara Lance would use it in a sentence. Needless to say the fic was also riddled with ‘taller/smaller/older/blonde’ etc.
This is why you can't have two women with the same hair colour in a couple. These rules exist for a reason.

Also, I don't know why it used to crack me up how they always used to refer to Callie The Shrek as "the latina". It was constant.

You know how I know Batwoman is shitty is that the dialogue reads like fucking fanfic. You see the British character of course calls everyone "love" because that's how dumb asses think all British people talk. I feel like Christina Wolfe needs to tell them it wouldn't really fit for Julia's character.