Reactions:

Music

Post by Guest »

Let's talk about music!

Reactions:

Re: Music

Post by Guest »

Let's break the ice. :)

What music genres or artists do you currently like?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 08:36

I’m a big fan of grunge rock which is apparently a highly debated label for the genre so interpret it however. I feel like I usually go from being almost hyper focused on one wildly different genre to the next so I cover a lot of ground periodically.

I’ve recently started listening to more alt rock/indie rock but on a pretty base level.

Super in love with this song right now. Wolf Alice is really great and My Love Is Cool a super solid album as a whole.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 09:27
Guest wrote:

I’m a big fan of grunge rock which is apparently a highly debated label for the genre so interpret it however. I feel like I usually go from being almost hyper focused on one wildly different genre to the next so I cover a lot of ground periodically.

I’ve recently started listening to more alt rock/indie rock but on a pretty base level.

Super in love with this song right now. Wolf Alice is really great and My Love Is Cool a super solid album as a whole.
I commonly hear that--people's musical tastes/libraries being highly varied. I can relate. I listened to a lot of grungy female rock bands in the past but this was much softer sounding than mine, which was angry and energetic.

It reminds me of this song. This isn't very grungy, more electronic. But you might like it too. Actually it's almost borrowing from it? The "ah's."

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Someone who I thought was always underrated, is Nelly Furtado. I don't remember if she was more popular in Europe or in the US. Saw a bunch of pop girls being named on the other thread and then her name came to mind. She had a lot of great songs.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I really enjoy popular music. Yes, it's superficial and repetitive and geared towards younger audiences. Maybe too young for how salacious it can get. Has music ever been more sexually explicit? It's like a trend-who can come out with the dirtier song? Lol. Speaking of which, how are we liking 34+35? I love it. :eyeroll:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 18:36
Someone who I thought was always underrated, is Nelly Furtado. I don't remember if she was more popular in Europe or in the US. Saw a bunch of pop girls being named on the other thread and then her name came to mind. She had a lot of great songs.
She was back in the music scene for a moment, right? Did she perform at the super bowl?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Lately I have been listening to a lot of melancholy, nostalgic like music. British singers like - oasis, verve, rollingstones, Adele, Elton john, rod Stewart, etc are my latest obsession

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 18:36
She’s not underrated in Canada! Say What You Want and Like a Bird still get frequent spins on the CBC.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

New Billie Eilish song out today but it's mostly in Spanish.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 11:23
Guest wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 09:27
Guest wrote:

I commonly hear that--people's musical tastes/libraries being highly varied. I can relate. I listened to a lot of grungy female rock bands in the past but this was much softer sounding than mine, which was angry and energetic.

It reminds me of this song. This isn't very grungy, more electronic. But you might like it too. Actually it's almost borrowing from it? The "ah's."

I can find gems in any genre honestly. But the majority of my library is definitely a lot of female led rock in many forms. I wish there was more in the way of angry women in music.
And honestly, that’s an amazing song! Love the vibes, I can see some of the similarities. Very dream pop-ish.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Not sure if Grimes’ music can be confined to one label but her early albums were amazing. I’ve never found anything similar. Hearing Oblivion for the first time changed me tbh.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I want a lesbian gossip like Sabrina Carpenter and Olivia ,we have none :rageblush:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Who here knows Muna? I really liked their debut album. They're a band consisting of 3 queer women (sorry for using this word, I just don't know their exact sexual orientation). 2 of them used to date each other lol.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 12:49
Who here knows Muna? I really liked their debut album. They're a band consisting of 3 queer women (sorry for using this word, I just don't know their exact sexual orientation). 2 of them used to date each other lol.
Muna is good. I think queer is the word they prefer lol. They are coming out with a new album with female pronouns in the lyrics sometime this year.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Is Driver's License a good song? :hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

I like all kinds of music, but my absolute favorite is the 60s-80s era - Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Velvet Underground, Miles Davis, Elton John, Roxy Music, The Cure, Curtis Mayfield, Sly and the Family Stone, Jimi Hendrix, and so on.

Boomers were the most talented generation.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 16:20
Guest wrote:

I like all kinds of music, but my absolute favorite is the 60s-80s era - Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Velvet Underground, Miles Davis, Elton John, Roxy Music, The Cure, Curtis Mayfield, Sly and the Family Stone, Jimi Hendrix, and so on.

Boomers were the most talented generation.
Right on! 😎

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 15:49
It's ok :nervous: I can see why a lot of people think she is Lorde and Taylor Swift child.
I really like her voice.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
I’ve only heard snippets of it but it sounds so boring. Pop music isn’t what it used to be.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Staple Singers

SAVESTHEDAY
Reactions:

Post by SAVESTHEDAY »

Guest wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 06:52
Not sure if Grimes’ music can be confined to one label but her early albums were amazing. I’ve never found anything similar. Hearing Oblivion for the first time changed me tbh.

I'm not that familiar with Grimes, but this is a good one:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I listen to this song a lot.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 23:15
I listen to this song a lot.

The Hills. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 06:44

I can find gems in any genre honestly. But the majority of my library is definitely a lot of female led rock in many forms. I wish there was more in the way of angry women in music.
And honestly, that’s an amazing song! Love the vibes, I can see some of the similarities. Very dream pop-ish.
The 2nd video doesn't work but those are exactly the bands I had in mind! I still have an L7 t-shirt from high school though tbh I only continue to wear it because it fits. Dust Cake Boy is totally a gem and one of my favorites from that music scene. You should listen to The Distillers. Plenty of growling. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 06:52
Grimes is utterly mindblowing. Like drugs. I feel bad she had to create Visions in the manner she did but it produced that masterpiece so-thank you, Grimes. <333

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I still love Dido's music a lot and listen to it from time to time. She has many gems.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
It's too emotionally intense for the subject matter but teens get pretty emo so they'll like it. It sounds nice.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

it comes and it goes. dido's best.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

This year is the 50th anniversary of one my all-time favorite albums from one of the greatest songwriters of all time -- Carole King's Tapestry. It features the iconic song '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman' made more famous by an earlier version by Aretha Franklin. My favorites are 'So Far Away' (Carole's version) and 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow' (Amy Winehouse's heartrending cover).

https://www.allmusic.com/album/tapestry-mw0000194478

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
No

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 02:01
it comes and it goes. dido's best.
Ok this was a joke ? Because I just played it for the first time and I think it was laughably bad ? Or do I need to play it another 4 times? (to sink in) Lol... :hmmm: Maybe I had to be there. Confused!

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 04:39
This year is the 50th anniversary of one my all-time favorite albums from one of the greatest songwriters of all time -- Carole King's Tapestry. It features the iconic song '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman' made more famous by an earlier version by Aretha Franklin. My favorites are 'So Far Away' (Carole's version) and 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow' (Amy Winehouse's heartrending cover).

https://www.allmusic.com/album/tapestry-mw0000194478

x2!!!!!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 00:14
I still love Dido's music a lot and listen to it from time to time. She has many gems.
X2 although I haven't listened to her in forever with exception of Eminem's Stan parody on Saturday Night Live in December which got me listening to the original Stan song again. But Dido herself has so many good songs!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Unique, classy, beautiful, unproblematic. She truly is one of a kind. (Yes, I know they're a band but she is the most important part :lol: )

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 09:41
Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 00:14
X2 although I haven't listened to her in forever with exception of Eminem's Stan parody on Saturday Night Live in December which got me listening to the original Stan song again. But Dido herself has so many good songs!
Commenting on my ^post. To name a few: Honestly Ok, Stoned, Life for Rent, Sand in My Shoes :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I like this song and Heather.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 10:44

Unique, classy, beautiful, unproblematic. She truly is one of a kind. (Yes, I know they're a band but she is the most important part :lol: )
every now and then I like to revisit thier music and it really is amazing how pretty much flawless their discography is.
But while thinking about Sande, I also like to revisit Basia's catalogue, and around xmas I become obessed with her lesser known song "Baby, Your're mine"

What a fucking joy!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I found recently some really cool dream pop-alike songs. It was one of my fave genre from the 80s and the new songs are catching that unique mood very well.

Songs I'm playing over and over again atm.

This one is older, from 2015:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 08:13
Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 10:44

every now and then I like to revisit thier music and it really is amazing how pretty much flawless their discography is.
But while thinking about Sande, I also like to revisit Basia's catalogue, and around xmas I become obessed with her lesser known song "Baby, Your're mine"

What a fucking joy!
Love that song! I thought I was the only one here who listens to Basia until now. :lol:

Sade, Basia (since her Matt Bianco days) and Swing Out Sister were staples before I got into grunge and alternative rock. Their songs are still pretty much part of my everyday listening. Here's one of my favorite SOS songs:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

^ hehe, yup, love Basia, but not familiar with Swing Out Sister.
Thanks for the clip! Love it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Sade :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 17:05
^ hehe, yup, love Basia, but not familiar with Swing Out Sister.
Thanks for the clip! Love it.
You must have heard SOS' cover of Am I The Same Girl in the early '90s. I used to have a crush on the three of them: Sade, Basia and Corinne. And there was a time when I couldn't stop singing this Basia song everywhere. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Janet Jackson.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

"'Nights With You' was written for my best and oldest friend, and the song is a celebration of our friendship and of my love for her," says MØ. "I obviously wanted the video to be about friendship but I wanted it to communicate this in a wide and universal way. I wanted it to be a reflection on unity in both bright times and in dark — about standing together strong and shining the light across borders and generations." https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... -you-video

This song has major gay vibes. I read somewhere that the artist is not lesbian/queer, in case any of you start wondering. But I really like it and think some of you here will too. I think it's sweet. :wub: You don't have to like it too. Take it or leave it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 05:30

"'Nights With You' was written for my best and oldest friend, and the song is a celebration of our friendship and of my love for her," says MØ. "I obviously wanted the video to be about friendship but I wanted it to communicate this in a wide and universal way. I wanted it to be a reflection on unity in both bright times and in dark — about standing together strong and shining the light across borders and generations." https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... -you-video

This song has major gay vibes. I read somewhere that the artist is not lesbian/queer, in case any of you start wondering. But I really like it and think some of you here will too. I think it's sweet. :wub: You don't have to like it too. Take it or leave it.
Taste 💯 love that song 🎶 her mellow songs are actually better than her lit songs.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 08:42
Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 05:30

Taste 💯 love that song 🎶 her mellow songs are actually better than her lit songs.
OP. I love it too! I only listen to Don't Leave + remixes & Kamizake (and of course Lean On). Good to know I'll likely check out her mellow stuff sometime! 👍

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

"Girl, why are you Playinwitme? Girl, who are you playinwit?
You've been on that new stuff. I've been on the same shit
Girl, why are you Playinwitme? I don't got the time for that
Might need me a refund, haha. I'ma need that time back"

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

She said "Hola, Cómo estás?" / She said "Konnichiwa" /She said "Pardon my French"
I said "Bonjour Madame" / Then she said "Sak pase" / And I said "N'ap boule"
No matter where I go, you know I love 'em all