The World to Come (starring Vanessa Kirby and Katherine Waterston)

Reactions:

Re: The World to Come (starring Vanessa Kirby and Katherine Waterston)

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 00:37
Just to expand on the very detailed recap our dedicated anon gave us, some random things I remember about the Q&A:

-Katherine did a lot of research by reading the books that the screenwriters recommended, though she seems to be too modest to admit it, or accept any compliments at all throughout the whole Q&A! I thought it was cute, but the praise felt genuine and it’s most likely true, so I hope she realises she’s that good and deserves all of it.

-The film has two different timelines - the present and the past. In the past, because it’s a memory, sometimes the camera will focus on Tallie as if it were admiring her: we’ll get close-ups of her face, her hands moving, etc. I guess, in a way, it’s very sensual and it’s these things Abigail remembers. We could see that in the trailer and I thought it was really, really well made.

-Katherine pointed out that when Tallie said "It’s not always those who show the least that actually feel the least" it showed Abigail she was not only recognising her worth, but actually really seeing her – understanding her suffering and repression.

-Vanessa mentioned that they've seen comments that described the film as the "female Brokeback Mountain" and noted how long it has taken us to get here, when that same film came out in 2005. You tell them, Vanessa! I'm really glad they're aware of how dire the situation has been for lesbian films. Also, Mona mentioning "Ammonite" - I have the feeling they've all done their research and are not completely oblivious to lesbian culture.

-No animals were killed because of the movie.

All in all, I came out of the Q&A thinking how lucky are we to have these three women working together in a lesbian film. They are gorgeous and seem so talented and so interesting. I only hope all of this translates into the film!
That´s hot

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Thank you, everyone, who watched the Q&A and gave us the details. Much appreciated. 🙂

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Is there any chance Bafta uploads this Q&A? for sure someone must have recorded it.....?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 09:07
Is there any chance Bafta uploads this Q&A? for sure someone must have recorded it.....?
I don't know about Bafta, but I've seen some very short (5-second to 1-minute) clips on twitter, so for sure some people recorded it. Hopefully they'll upload it somewhere so that everyone can watch it. I'd also love to rewatch it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I always like Vanessa but wow Katherine is so beautiful and cut :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 12:18

Yeah, Mona as well, in my opinion. The three of them are gorgeous. I hope they do more interviews together!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

screw casey affleck but after that BAFTA Q&A i'm definitely looking forward to watching this movie a lot more now!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

For those of you in Sydney, it looks like The World to Come will be screening at the Mardi Gras Film Festival in February.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

Oh. :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm surprised no one has uploaded the Bafta thing anywhere, not even the Bafta people. I was sure they would. Oh well, here's a press conference I found instead. From Venice.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 18:31
I'm surprised no one has uploaded the Bafta thing anywhere, not even the Bafta people. I was sure they would. Oh well, here's a press conference I found instead. From Venice.

qmta I just finished watching it

1. I really like Katherine. Besides being really sweet she's very insightful and seems like the movie's biggest fan. :wub:
2. The dude got like a single question because it was like everyone forgot that he was there. :lol: And it was a question too many, tbh.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I don't know if this interview has been posted before. It's Katherine's and it's really brilliant, she is eloquent and honest.

https://www.theitalianreve.com/cover-st ... o-you-are/
For me, what keeps me going back for more is just trying to catch those moments where life happens. I think that when we first kissed in this film for me was one of those moments where I felt completely free, but also very much held within the world we were trying to create, but it’s an amazing feeling and it’s very rare for me.
I cannot stand the Casey Afflecks of this world but will watch the film for the female leads.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 20:57
I don't know if this interview has been posted before. It's Katherine's and it's really brilliant, she is eloquent and honest.

For me, what keeps me going back for more is just trying to catch those moments where life happens. I think that when we first kissed in this film for me was one of those moments where I felt completely free, but also very much held within the world we were trying to create, but it’s an amazing feeling and it’s very rare for me.
I cannot stand the Casey Afflecks of this world but will watch the film for the female leads.
Thank you for posting this interview. It was a very nice read. The questions are interesting - not just a recycling of what has already been asked before elsewhere - and of course she answers them beautifully. The one you quoted was brilliant (I can't wait to see that first kiss), but I also liked that she stressed the risk of confessing your feelings to someone when you don't necessarily know the outcome, particularly so for Abigail, who has to express them to another woman. She's probably not even aware of this, but straight interactions are very heavily coded - there's a language that everyone understands and it's easier to navigate through a confession. With gay relationships, there's no coded language (I dare say even now) or rigid roles that would make something like this less uncertain. It is still very risky, because the lines between friendship and attraction are very much blurred in same-sex interactions. Again, I'm interested in seeing how they incorproate this into the film and, more specifically, how it defines Abigail and Tallie's exchanges.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 20:57

That was a beautiful interview :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It always makes me happy when I see important actors taking on this kind of roles. It feels like they do because they care, they are actually invested in the stories and the representation, instead of the money. It's nice.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 12:22
Vanessa looks so beautiful in this film :bigcry:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 14:41
It always makes me happy when I see important actors taking on this kind of roles. It feels like they do because they care, they are actually invested in the stories and the representation, instead of the money. It's nice.
did the director say that it's a low budget film?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 17:15
Guest wrote:
Yes

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA, but to be honest, I don't think they went into the film for the recognition or the money. Mona is not a super well-known director (has only directed 2 films, one of them being The World to Come) and considering they had trouble financing the film, I don't think they had a lot of money to spare. On top of that, it's a lesbian film, which has a much more niche audience and a more unpredictable reception. On the other hand, while I think it's great they weren't afraid to take on a lesbian role, I doubt they took it because they are passionate about representation (although I'm sure they understand it's important), but rather because they thought the script is good and the characters are rich.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 16:36
Guest wrote:

Oh. :wub:
I'm developing a big crush on this woman, she's so beautiful and smart ugh

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So I finally watched the press conference at the Venice film festival and the director commented that

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 17:31
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA, but to be honest, I don't think they went into the film for the recognition or the money. Mona is not a super well-known director (has only directed 2 films, one of them being The World to Come) and considering they had trouble financing the film, I don't think they had a lot of money to spare. On top of that, it's a lesbian film, which has a much more niche audience and a more unpredictable reception. On the other hand, while I think it's great they weren't afraid to take on a lesbian role, I doubt they took it because they are passionate about representation (although I'm sure they understand it's important), but rather because they thought the script is good and the characters are rich.
Op here.

I didn't mean it as they did it because they wan to be the next lesbian idol :lol: , I meant that (like you said) they liked the script and the characters, and being a lesbian story didn't put them off.. which Im pretty sure it happens with a lot of big stars.

It's like, sometimes I forget that actors are artists, we are so used to Hollywood with its 6 numbers salaries stars having kind of the same role over and over again .. so it's nice to see when they take roles not because they want the new big house in Malibu, but because they are attracted to the story, and then that story happens to be a lesbian one, its such a win.

ps. Forgive my english.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 00:40
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Op here.

I didn't mean it as they did it because they wan to be the next lesbian idol :lol: , I meant that (like you said) they liked the script and the characters, and being a lesbian story didn't put them off.. which Im pretty sure it happens with a lot of big stars.

It's like, sometimes I forget that actors are artists, we are so used to Hollywood with its 6 numbers salaries stars having kind of the same role over and over again .. so it's nice to see when they take roles not because they want the new big house in Malibu, but because they are attracted to the story, and then that story happens to be a lesbian one, its such a win.

ps. Forgive my english.
I agree, essentially. We've been having a few big names playing lesbian roles in the past 6 years and I can't get enough of it. I'm really grateful for the people vouching for these kinds of movies, because it seems that it's still not easy to make them. I hope this trend continues though, and more lesbian films like these come out. For this reason, I always try to support them as much as I can.

PS. I'm ESL too, so nothing to forgive on my end!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 00:23
So I finally watched the press conference at the Venice film festival and the director commented that

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Da

I think it's a textbook prestige film or it wants to be. I doubt that it will get the buzz for that, but come on... period drama, tragic lesbians, some high profile actors. A passion project for sure, don't get me wrong, and that's probably the other reason why they did it (Katherine seems to really like the story and Abigail), but let's not pretend that this was meant to be some niche little movie for lesbians or something. :lol: It's classic awards bait or at least it wants to be (or at least it might have been a few years and a few movies, ago).

JanAng
Reactions: 3

Post by JanAng »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 00:23
[/quote]

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 02:46
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Da

I think it's a textbook prestige film or it wants to be. I doubt that it will get the buzz for that, but come on... period drama, tragic lesbians, some high profile actors. A passion project for sure, don't get me wrong, and that's probably the other reason why they did it (Katherine seems to really like the story and Abigail), but let's not pretend that this was meant to be some niche little movie for lesbians or something. :lol: It's classic awards bait or at least it wants to be (or at least it might have been a few years and a few movies, ago).
Sure, they might be aiming at awards. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a lesbian film to win anything at the Oscars (Philadelphia, an unapologetically gay film, already did that in 1993).

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 02:46
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Da

Exactly. While I'm sure they found the script interesting and the characters rich, there is always this sense for a het actress playing a lesbian character 'oh this is so brave' so I'm sure they're hoping for a nomination. Whether they'll get one is another matter.
Hollywood loves tragic stories involving minorities.
Which is why Carol didn't get any award: because it ends well for the lesbians.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 10:31
New interview

Always excited to watch a new interview. Thanks anon! :hug:
This was a very short one - only one question each. Things I loved:

-Mona taking the script further and wanting to explore the women's relationship and sexuality.
-Katherine attributing Vanessa's talent and fascinating persona to making it easy to feel excitement and curiosity, but saying the opposite for Dyer. I totally get it, Katherine! Poor Dyer had no chance.

Somehow I have a feeling they cut some bits and this really bums me out.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The first kiss is in the trailer isn't it? When they both hesitate for a couple of seconds before eventually kissing. I found this short scene (well, maybe it will be longer in the film) very memorable. There is something about their faces and especially the hunger Abigail displays. As an introvert I think I can relate although my circumstances are of course very different. I don't think I have seen Katherine Waterston in anything but she sure looks like she can act!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

God, Ive been crushing on Vanessa for a couple of years now.. My gayness increased a total of 100% just watching Hobbs & Shaw, and now I find she is playing lesbian?? I may die :nervous:

guest_twtc
Reactions:

Post by guest_twtc »

do people still want to watch the Bafta Q&A zoom?? Or has Bafta or anyone else released it already?
IF NOT YET, i might be able to share a link. :tinfoil:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest_twtc wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 02:19
do people still want to watch the Bafta Q&A zoom?? Or has Bafta or anyone else released it already?
Pleaseeeeeeee

guest_twtc
Reactions:

Post by guest_twtc »

Guest wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 02:26
guest_twtc wrote:
Pleaseeeeeeee
k, i will upload it as an unlisted video on youtube in a bit. :spy: :heart:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest_twtc wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 03:04
Guest wrote:
guest_twtc wrote:
Pleaseeeeeeee
You are amazing! Thank you!!!!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest_twtc wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 03:04
Guest wrote:
guest_twtc wrote:
Pleaseeeeeeee
:wub: :wub: :wub: :bowdown:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

[kinda IMPORTANT, please read 1st]:
- the first 10min of the live were not recorded... oopsie :)
- i'm only sharing this, because I've noticed that BAFTA hasn't released this Q&A video anywhere yet (i think). Until they do, all we got is this^
- enjoy~ and pls be polite in the comments.
- *ALSO* DO NOT reupload this video on other platforms or even on YT (it's NOT my video, that's why i have it unlisted).

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 04:48
- i'm only sharing this, because I've noticed that BAFTA hasn't released this Q&A video anywhere yet (i think). Until they do, all we got is this^
- *ALSO* DO NOT reupload this video on other platforms or even on YT (it's NOT my video, that's why i have it unlisted).

Thank you thank you thank you! :hug:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 13:52
The first kiss is in the trailer isn't it? When they both hesitate for a couple of seconds before eventually kissing. I found this short scene (well, maybe it will be longer in the film) very memorable. There is something about their faces and especially the hunger Abigail displays. As an introvert I think I can relate although my circumstances are of course very different. I don't think I have seen Katherine Waterston in anything but she sure looks like she can act!
I also thought it was powerful, at least in the trailer. I've seen Katherine in a few things and she is completely unrestrained when it comes to kissing and intimate scenes, so this wasn't a complete surprise. I wasn't expecting Vanessa's tongue to show up so brazenly, though :lol:
Let's see how they fare with their hand placement in these kinds of scenes, which is one of my pet-peeves in lesbian films.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

I haven't had time to watch it yet, but thanks!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Thanks again for the Q&A video.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

Thank you so much for uploading it!
I have a question for an english native here,
which are the songs that Vanessa said were Tallie´s songs, the ones she listened to help her prepare for the role?
I don´t catch the names of the songs or the authors :-/

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 19:11
which are the songs that Vanessa said were Tallie´s songs, the ones she listened to help her prepare for the role?
I believe she said Max Richter - (On the nature of) Daylight, or at least I hope she did because I've loved this track for a long time lol. It was also in the movie 'Arrival' with Amy Adams. She also mentioned 'Particles', which, if I'm not mistaken, is by Ólafur Arnalds, not Max Richter (though they are similar artists, so I can see the confusion...). I love these songs a lot and now I feel like watching this movie lol.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 21:30
Guest wrote:
I believe she said Max Richter - (On the nature of) Daylight, or at least I hope she did because I've loved this track for a long time lol. It was also in the movie 'Arrival' with Amy Adams. She also mentioned 'Particles', which, if I'm not mistaken, is by Ólafur Arnalds, not Max Richter (though they are similar artists, so I can see the confusion...). I love these songs a lot and now I feel like watching this movie lol.
Yes, you're right. 'Particles' is by Ólafur Arnalds, who I simply love, and yes I'm also pretty sure the Max Richter piece she was referring to was 'On the Nature of Daylight'.
I'm seriously very hyped for this film solely by the passion with which they talk about their characters and the process of it all coming together.
:fingcross:

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Wasn't this film written by men about two straight couples, then the women get together? :mask: why are y'all supporting it? It looks like the straight peasant version of poalof.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 21:30
Guest wrote:
Oh thank you!
Nice choices, I love Olafur Arnalds. And the Max Richter song, simply beautiful :wub: