The World to Come (starring Vanessa Kirby and Katherine Waterston)

Reactions:

The World to Come (starring Vanessa Kirby and Katherine Waterston)

Post by Guest »

Somewhere along the mid-19th century American East Coast frontier, two neighboring couples battle hardship and isolation, witnessed by a splendid yet testing landscape, challenging them both physically and psychologically.

Reactions:

Re: The World to Come (starring Vanessa Kirby and Katherine Waterston)

Post by Guest »

Portrait of a Farmer on Fire

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 15:18
Without the fossils.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Made me lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 15:31
Guest wrote:
Made me lol
Someone goes frolicking in the fields and ends up landing butt naked in some cow dung. Bring on the realism people.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I love period pieces but come on, it’s like every lesbian film is also a period film. 008

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So they are both het partnered? Why can't we have lesbians movies without men involved?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Since seeing that clip of them awkwardly kissing I'm like no thanks.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Geez. I never thought they could ever make Vanessa Kirby look as awful as she does in that clip. She is so freaking gorgeous in other projects. Notably in the Crown, another period piece.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

http://library.lol/fiction/CBA1485C4E8D ... FA9AB164EA

link to dl the short story. click on GET to dl in epub.

so ppl get an idea of what to expect. its bleak, depressing as hell but well written and some ppl like that sort of thing. ending left me unsatisfied and angry for abbie but ymmv.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 15:45
Geez. I never thought they could ever make Vanessa Kirby look as awful as she does in that clip. She is so freaking gorgeous in other projects. Notably in the Crown, another period piece.
That wig is doing her no favors :bigcry:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Vanessa Kirby, yes please. 😍😍😍

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 15:46
http://library.lol/fiction/CBA1485C4E8D ... FA9AB164EA

link to dl the short story. click on GET to dl in epub.

so ppl get an idea of what to expect. its bleak, depressing as hell but well written and some ppl like that sort of thing. ending left me unsatisfied and angry for abbie but ymmv.
They always like to show gay people as miserable.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
She's fantastic in the Crown, it was disappointing when Helena Bonham-Carter toke over as Princess Margaret.

Is it weird editing or in the one clip with them walking does the one with the brown hair appear not to open her mouth while speaking?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 16:38
Guest wrote:
She's fantastic in the Crown, it was disappointing when Helena Bonham-Carter toke over as Princess Margaret.

Is it weird editing or in the one clip with them walking does the one with the brown hair appear not to open her mouth while speaking?
Da. Yeah, I wasn’t in love w HBC as her replacement. Olivia Colman, neither, and I usually love her.

Re the clip: It almost sounds like the audio is running 1.5x normal speed. Plus the ambient sound is too loud.

I’ll just keep my eyes focused on Vanessa. :wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 15:34
So they are both het partnered? Why can't we have lesbians movies without men involved?
Looking forward to the sci-fi/speculative fiction flick of a world without men. I'd also settle for a country or city setting without men. :lol:

niet nada
Reactions:

Post by niet nada »

can we please get a lesbian film not set during a time when my granny, great granny or great great granny were toddlers? might be an okay film though.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

niet nada wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 17:36
can we please get a lesbian film not set during a time when my granny, great granny or great great granny were toddlers? might be an okay film though.
The prom and that movie with Kristen Stewart are coming out in a a couple of months

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

ahh. sounds like something I will hate nearly as much as a quiet passion. but not quite. it's impossible for me to hate something as much as that.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 15:42
Since seeing that clip of them awkwardly kissing I'm like no thanks.
can you post, please?

I didn’t see any chemistry in the trailer, so not too surprising to hear.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 17:45
2 thumbs up, then? 😂

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Tired and I mean tired of all these damn period piece dyke movies. And honestly give me some color <_<

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 18:01
Tired and I mean tired of all these damn period piece dyke movies. And honestly give me some color <_<
By color do you mean greater racial diversity?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

These period dramas sure look like part of an agenda. The story never ends well for lesbians, thereby giving a gloomy picture of our lives. Invariably these movies are hopeless and depressing. It’s like discouraging lesbianism is the end game.

Perhaps I’m overreaching, but Hollywood always has a hidden agenda. I don’t trust the entertainment industry one bit. :hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
as white person, I can confirm that this somehow even feels whiter than normal. lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:17
Guest wrote:
Yes

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:29
These period dramas sure look like part of an agenda. The story never ends well for lesbians, thereby giving a gloomy picture of our lives. Invariably these movies are hopeless and depressing. It’s like discouraging lesbianism is the end game.

Perhaps I’m overreaching, but Hollywood always has a hidden agenda. I don’t trust the entertainment industry one bit. :hmmm:
:hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:42
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Yes
Handmaiden - no white people there.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

well a lot of these movies aren't actually hollywood.

Reactions:

Post by GUEST »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:50
Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:42
Guest wrote:

Yes
Handmaiden - no white people there.
Movies like The Handmaiden are exactly what the OP is calling for more of. 99% of lesbian films are white and of late the majority are period pieces where the relationships are doomed to fail to boot.

I'd also like to add that 9.8/10, if there is a POC, they are with a white woman. It's like the POC's gayness can only be legitimized or be seen as sexy/hot if a white woman is involved. I would love to see more Asian women together. More Middle Eastern women and for my own personal reasons, more black women in relationships with one another because we are out here too.

Reactions:

Post by GUEST »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:59
Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:51
Guest wrote:

well a lot of these movies aren't actually hollywood.
I know, that’s why I said I don’t trust the entertainment industry. We must be the only audience they don’t aim to please. And what’s worse is that many of these movies are made by lesbians, like that aberration ‘The Kids Are All Right’. :spank:
Hollywood historically only greenlights films about minorities that A. will win them an oscar B. will paint them in a good light with a certain demographic and/or C. assuage their guilt about past transgressions; however, if the project fails to do any of those things they can throw up their hands and say, look we did this for you and yes we know it was shitty and not representative of you at all but we did it and you couldn't even come out and support it so you know what, we won't greenlight another one of these films until it will win me an Oscar nom or I need another pat on the back for doing something nice. And because gay writers want to work, they write trash films based on A, B and/or C because they know they will get greenlit.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
One critic, Jessica Kiang, called "Portrait of a Lady on Low Heat". Made my day. :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Ironically enough, this a good sign. Alex Billington is trash.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:25
Guest wrote:
One critic, Jessica Kiang, called "Portrait of a Lady on Low Heat". Made my day. :lol:
lol

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:47
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
lol
Sury then she would be simmering... simmering tension would be good. But I guess she didn't intend for a positive reading of that comment.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Apparently
this is even more depressing than your usual sad lesbian film

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:50
Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:47
Guest wrote:

lol
Sury then she would be simmering... simmering tension would be good. But I guess she didn't intend for a positive reading of that comment.
maybe "portrait of a lady lukewarm" would be better. haha

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:54
Apparently
this is even more depressing than your usual sad lesbian film
FFS!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

"Discouraging lesbianism". We are inundated with heterosexuality all over the place, from womb to tomb. Yet here we are. Still gay as hell. If they want to get rid of the gays, they're going to have to go reich-wing.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Probably true and I'm tired of period pieces, but I also don't care about men's opinions of lesbian movies

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

Honestly it sort of bugs me that so many lesbian movies (as in mainstream, acclaimed, artsy ones) lately are period pieces. It makes it seem like lesbianism is a thing of the past, and usually these movies are depressing and give lesbians very bleak endings. I'm not even someone who hates downer endings or wants all movies to have happy endings, but it gets old when the so many of the new movies coming out take place hundreds of years ago and the characters are mostly miserable. Yeah, you can point to some present-day lesbian movies too, but it seems like so many of the big ones lately that end up getting visibility and acclaim are period pieces. I want to see lesbians in the present, but I guess that would be imperfect too since it'd probably be all queerified.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:27
Guest wrote:

"Discouraging lesbianism". We are inundated with heterosexuality all over the place, from womb to tomb. Yet here we are. Still gay as hell. If they want to get rid of the gays, they're going to have to go reich-wing.
OK, but I can’t help but think that these depressing movies are not made to appeal to the lesbian audience, but to a more numerous audience, the so called liberal audience, who think these movies are brave just for involving sexual minorities. However, these straight audiences are tolerant to a point, and they always feel more comfortable when the minority ends up frustrated, because deep down they think theirs is the right lifestyle.

The people who are in these movies always end up getting a pat in the back, and that’s our ‘representation’ for you. ^o)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:57
Guest wrote:

Honestly it sort of bugs me that so many lesbian movies (as in mainstream, acclaimed, artsy ones) lately are period pieces. It makes it seem like lesbianism is a thing of the past, and usually these movies are depressing and give lesbians very bleak endings. I'm not even someone who hates downer endings or wants all movies to have happy endings, but it gets old when the so many of the new movies coming out take place hundreds of years ago and the characters are mostly miserable. Yeah, you can point to some present-day lesbian movies too, but it seems like so many of the big ones lately that end up getting visibility and acclaim are period pieces. I want to see lesbians in the present, but I guess that would be imperfect too since it'd probably be all queerified.
I think the bleak ending is the intended effect, so the period piece is just the perfect instrument to that end. However, there’s also the imitation effect. As Hollywood is getting lazier, once a movie like ‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire’ gets good reviews, more of the kind (but inferior) will follow, and that’s all we get.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 23:01
Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:27
Guest wrote:

OK, but I can’t help but think that these depressing movies are not made to appeal to the lesbian audience, but to a more numerous audience, the so called liberal audience, who think these movies are brave just for involving sexual minorities. However, these straight audiences are tolerant to a point, and they always feel more comfortable when the minority ends up frustrated, because deep down they think theirs is the right lifestyle.

The people who are in these movies always end up getting a pat in the back, and that’s our ‘representation’ for you. ^o)
and they always feel more comfortable when the minority ends up frustrated, because deep down they think theirs is the right lifestyle.
DA This reminds me of a negative review of Gentleman Jack, can't remember where it was from but it was a mainstream publication, with the (straight, I'm pretty sure) critic complaining that Anne Lister wasn't miserable and angsty enough about being a lesbian in the first couple episodes she saw.

vfjmuöl
Reactions:

Post by vfjmuöl »

Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:51
Guest wrote:
Probably true and I'm tired of period pieces, but I also don't care about men's opinions of lesbian movies
x100!
when you look at imbd its interesting how many men are judging lesbian or women centered films
and often when the movie is centered around women men seemed to be bothered by that and
don´t like it they are rating the films badly compared to women

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

vfjmuöl wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 23:28
Guest wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:51
Guest wrote:
x100!
when you look at imbd its interesting how many men are judging lesbian or women centered films
and often when the movie is centered around women men seemed to be bothered by that and
don´t like it they are rating the films badly compared to women
You really don't need to fuss over this guy's opinions. He's notorious for his shitty, bad takes on films and being edgy.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I love period pieces but come on, it’s like every lesbian film is also a period film. 008
It's more like you guys love to complain whenever a lesbian period film is produced.