Re: The Umbrella Academy

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:40
Guest wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:39
Guest wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:38
Vanya and Five really had all the focus this season and they were both brilliant.
Marin Ireland has now made out with Ellen Page and Chloe Moretz, she's doing alright 😆
Vanya had way less screen time though. Heck the dudes always get way more. It sucks.
It is 5 x2 so the male siblings are going to get more screen time.
Each male sibling gets more time than she does so the entire show has way way way too much dude focus which I hate.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:13
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:39

Vanya had way less screen time though. Heck the dudes always get way more. It sucks.
Each male sibling gets more time than she does so the entire show has way way way too much dude focus which I hate.
Yeah it didn’t help that the dudes all got to team up with each other especially Diego, Five and Luther. Honestly Diego was horribly unlikeable this season and had way too much screen time. Familiarity definitely bred contempt in his case and I hope they cut down on his screen time next season.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:45
Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:13
Guest wrote:

Yeah it didn’t help that the dudes all got to team up with each other especially Diego, Five and Luther. Honestly Diego was horribly unlikeable this season and had way too much screen time. Familiarity definitely bred contempt in his case and I hope they cut down on his screen time next season.
DA I feel like that was to keep Vanya's story isolated from theirs and didn't really mind. I didn't want them clunking up Vanya and Sissy anyway.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It's taken these two whole seasons to open Vanya's character up though. There wasn't a huge amount they could do with her before this point, but she's ready to become the central character for a series long arc now. EP has top billing. It's unlikely they're planning out a long term arc involving RH's plan for the Earth that doesn't revolve around Vanya in some way.

Qudn
Reactions:

Post by Qudn »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 03:35
It's taken these two whole seasons to open Vanya's character up though. There wasn't a huge amount they could do with her before this point, but she's ready to become the central character for a series long arc now. EP has top billing. It's unlikely they're planning out a long term arc involving RH's plan for the Earth that doesn't revolve around Vanya in some way.
Well considering they are just taking some stuff from the novel, in which Mom/Grace takes Vanya to the Sparrows Academy so they can help her

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Is Vanya into women in the comics as well?
Or did the series-makers just realize that it’s ridiculous to make Page play straight? :lol:

the ao3 tags seem to be a mess :unsure:
I know they are all adopted and not related but all the incestrous shipping makes me really uncomfortable.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Qudn wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 04:58
Guest wrote:
Well considering they are just taking some stuff from the novel, in which Mom/Grace takes Vanya to the Sparrows Academy so they can help her
Well it looks like they’ve replaced Vanya with Harlan and mom with Sissy. Did Harlan exist in the comics?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 05:21
Or did the series-makers just realize that it’s ridiculous to make Page play straight? :lol:

I know they are all adopted and not related but all the incestrous shipping makes me really uncomfortable.
Actually she has had no LI in the comics afaik.

When I was watching S1, I was just waiting for them to introduce a female LI cause nobody was buying this shit with Leonard. It's not even about Ellen, Vanya is just gaaaay.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 07:44
Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 05:21

Actually she has had no LI in the comics afaik.

When I was watching S1, I was just waiting for them to introduce a female LI cause nobody was buying this shit with Leonard. It's not even about Ellen, Vanya is just gaaaay.
She was so damaged that the slightest hint of supportive validation from anyone would've gotten her attention at that point. So I guess it made enough sense that she would fall for it at first. It's forgivable, given that didn't give a shit for even a moment about having murdered him afterwards. Clearly not real feelings.

Gggdhgsd
Reactions:

Post by Gggdhgsd »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 05:26
Qudn wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 04:58
Guest wrote:
Well it looks like they’ve replaced Vanya with Harlan and mom with Sissy. Did Harlan exist in the comics?
No, because Vanya in the comics its not important.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I’d be really surprised if at least Harlan doesn’t show up again. Sissy is probably dead or she would be pushing 100 in 2019 lol I thought their story was nice, but bittersweet. I believe it’s already been renewed for S3. Or that’s what the insiders that are legit have already said.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 17:03
I’d be really surprised if at least Harlan doesn’t show up again. Sissy is probably dead or she would be pushing 100 in 2019 lol I thought their story was nice, but bittersweet. I believe it’s already been renewed for S3. Or that’s what the insiders that are legit have already said.
Surely, he will be back. They gave him and Sissy 10 eps for a reason. Same with Lila.

S3 has been confirmed I guess. It's one of their most popular shows. Would be surprised if the show finished with S3, although wouldn't mind it.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 20:24
Guest wrote:
Surely, he will be back. They gave him and Sissy 10 eps for a reason. Same with Lila.

S3 has been confirmed I guess. It's one of their most popular shows. Would be surprised if the show finished with S3, although wouldn't mind it.
Barons what about 10 in 1963, so in 2019 he’s going to be pushing 70. Unless Vanya’s powers stop aging, he’s going to be Five 2.0 :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 21:28
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Barons what about 10 in 1963, so in 2019 he’s going to be pushing 70. Unless Vanya’s powers stop aging, he’s going to be Five 2.0 :lol:
There's no reason to think he wouldn't just be time traveling though.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm slow and completely missed that Harlan had the Sparrow in his hand in the car at the end and it's now the Sparrow Academy.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Watched an interview somewhere where David implied their contract is five years

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I must be the only one that thought Sissy/Vanya/Harlan is a snooze fest. I would rather Vanya be with a girl her own age her own speed, not raise some other dude’s brat with a boring house wife. I thought the Handler was an awesome villain. Peak for me was when she swallowed the fish.

Also.....this is huge so I’ll put it in spoilers because it’s early enough that some people might not be finished

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 01:56
I must be the only one that thought Sissy/Vanya/Harlan is a snooze fest. I would rather Vanya be with a girl her own age her own speed, not raise some other dude’s brat with a boring house wife. I thought the Handler was an awesome villain. Peak for me was when she swallowed the fish.

Also.....this is huge so I’ll put it in spoilers because it’s early enough that some people might not be finished

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 02:53
Guest wrote:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 12:05
Guest wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 02:53
Guest wrote:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Just finished it and honestly loved it! Sure there was a lot of guy content but I think the handlers massive role of the whole story balanced it out. I felt there were so many relatable things in that season, Allison fighting for the black community and against racism, vanya showing sissy she could be who she truly is and not a 60s stay and home hetero house wife. Diego showed a softer side of himself emotionally buckling in the presence of his father and living mother. Ben letting go of his attachment to his brothers and sisters and klaus learning to let go of dave and just everyone showing vanya they loved her regardless of her power.
Klaus is by far my favorite character, dude makes you laugh even at the most serious times lol. Only thing I did miss was Hazel and cha cha. Can't wait for a season 3 and to see what happens with harlan...

JanAng
Reactions: 3

Post by JanAng »

Couldn't agree more. It was great. I think I may have liked this season better than the first.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

:wub:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I like the show and definitely preferred this second season to the first (though I would have liked to have seen more of Klaus and Ben). Definitely enjoyed less of Luthor's manpain (and less of him in general, he was a lot more tolerable this season whereas he borderline ruined the last season for me).

I liked the F/F storyline overall but I feel like I must be the only one, I just can't warm to Vanya as a character. I mean I'm not that crazy about Ellen Page in general and I find her pretty one note in most of the things I've seen her in bar Juno, but Vanya as a character to me is pretty bland (this season) or annoying (last season). Her newfound love of the ladies aside, she's the least compelling female on the show for me.

Looking forward to next season though if it gets renewed!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Just finish it , I love it.
The last two episodes I was 😲

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 19:14
I like the show and definitely preferred this second season to the first (though I would have liked to have seen more of Klaus and Ben). Definitely enjoyed less of Luthor's manpain (and less of him in general, he was a lot more tolerable this season whereas he borderline ruined the last season for me).

I liked the F/F storyline overall but I feel like I must be the only one, I just can't warm to Vanya as a character. I mean I'm not that crazy about Ellen Page in general and I find her pretty one note in most of the things I've seen her in bar Juno, but Vanya as a character to me is pretty bland (this season) or annoying (last season). Her newfound love of the ladies aside, she's the least compelling female on the show for me.

Vanya is actually the most complex characater of them all, yes all of them went through trauma, some more than others but Vanya has gone through being drugged her entire life and feel like she is a good for nothing kind of person to be the strongest Hargreeves kid, she is more powerful than her sibs but has no grasp of her own powers, for me Vanya is the character I related the most in season one that feeling of keeping all bottle up and feel like a ticking bomb it's not something pretty, the trying to fix when people don't want you to fix and feel left a side.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Could it be that the Handler takes Harlan to join her like she did with Lila, the other is Vanya returning to the 60's to be with Sissy at the hence the whole "If you find a way to come back to me" or Five will bring Sissy to Vanya or Hargreeves probable did something, I wouldn't put it past him to try to control Vanya more so knowing she is the most powerful of her siblings or my other theory is that Harlan ended up working with Hargreeves to create the Sparrow Academy, in hopes to get to Vanya and Hargreeves betrayed him.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

They smashed it out the park and it's super popular, there is no way they won't get renewed when below average riverdale is on its 5th season with a writer who has nfi. Probably one of the best series on netflix this year along with stranger things.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 05:19
Guest wrote:
Could it be that the Handler takes Harlan to join her like she did with Lila, the other is Vanya returning to the 60's to be with Sissy at the hence the whole "If you find a way to come back to me" or Five will bring Sissy to Vanya or Hargreeves probable did something, I wouldn't put it past him to try to control Vanya more so knowing she is the most powerful of her siblings or my other theory is that Harlan ended up working with Hargreeves to create the Sparrow Academy, in hopes to get to Vanya and Hargreeves betrayed him.
I don’t get how Harlan could be apart of the Sparrow academy since he’d be an old man in 2019. Unless Reginald is able to time travel, or is in cahoots with someone who can time travel with the level of accuracy needed to go back in time, grab Harlan, and bring him to the future - but that would beg so many questions. How did he know about Harlan’s existence?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 05:01
Guest wrote:

Vanya is actually the most complex characater of them all, yes all of them went through trauma, some more than others but Vanya has gone through being drugged her entire life and feel like she is a good for nothing kind of person to be the strongest Hargreeves kid, she is more powerful than her sibs but has no grasp of her own powers, for me Vanya is the character I related the most in season one that feeling of keeping all bottle up and feel like a ticking bomb it's not something pretty, the trying to fix when people don't want you to fix and feel left a side.
Oh don't get me wrong, I feel like the backstory and all the tools are there, and the character should be one of the most interesting but it doesn't translate on screen for me at all. If you asked me to describe Vanya's personality in the show I'd honestly struggle to come up with a single adjective. Yes, she seems to be defined by the things that have happened to her in the past but beyond that, I don't feel like she has a distinctive voice. I don't know if it's the writing or the acting but I don't watch her and feel engrossed or even that invested in her storyline, even though I want to be/feel like I'm supposed to be.

A lot of people seem to really like her character though so I'm clearly just in the minority. But a lot of my favourite female characters are complex and troubled in their own way, but are incredibly watchable with it. I feel like I'm meant to care about Vanya but I.. don't, particularly. It's not just Vanya to be fair, it's Luthor and S1 Diego and Alison as well - I just didn't feel anything for their characters even if I enjoyed the show as a whole. Diego and Alison were a lot more interesting this season though, so it has improved.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 05:31
Guest wrote:

They smashed it out the park and it's super popular, there is no way they won't get renewed when below average riverdale is on its 5th season with a writer who has nfi. Probably one of the best series on netflix this year along with stranger things.
Riverdale isn't a Netflix show so that's not a good comparison

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 06:40
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Riverdale is CW however I don't think there standards would be that diff to netflix. Isn't it all about bringing in money, if you have lots of fans, success..that's all they care about.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 07:00
Guest wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 06:40
Guest wrote:

Riverdale is CW however I don't think there standards would be that diff to netflix. Isn't it all about bringing in money, if you have lots of fans, success..that's all they care about.
Your mistake is thinking the cw has any standards

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Super unpopular opinion: I hate people like Klaus in real life and he does nothing for me on the show. I do however like his dynamic with ghost Ben and the general concept of his character, but he’s not my favorite, he just makes my eyes roll. What’s interesting about this show is that I don’t particularly like any of the characters - or I only like them sometimes, but I overall still very much enjoy the world building, plot and concepts. I find myself very entertained by the villains like Reginald and the Handler. I actually liked the Handler’s daughter which seems to be an unpopular opinion as well. As far as the kids, I like their group dynamic and the nonsense they get into, but individually I don’t care to see too much of any of their stories.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Watching s.2 right, binge watched s.1 last week, and overall enjoyable series, but with some visible flaws.

I screamed when I saw mother in s.2. That acresss is hot and I was so pissed when they killed her in s.1 :lol:
I like that character, tho I assume she won't have major role or any role in the future.
Three episodes to finish s.2.

I think Klaus and Ben are my fave. Tho Klaus storyline in s.2 was not good.
Vanya is my least fave.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 12:05
Watching s.2 right, binge watched s.1 last week, and overall enjoyable series, but with some visible flaws.

I screamed when I saw mother in s.2. That acresss is hot and I was so pissed when they killed her in s.1 :lol:
I like that character, tho I assume she won't have major role or any role in the future.
Three episodes to finish s.2.

I think Klaus and Ben are my fave. Tho Klaus storyline in s.2 was not good.
Vanya is my least fave.
Yes! She is unreal looking. So nice to see her as a full person, don't have to feel bad about fancying a robot now.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

binged right through both seasons. loved it.

i don't know how they did it but they finally made me like ellen page with a female love interest. sorry but all her previous works with a wlw relationship fell so flat for me. but this time it was good.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 11:07
Super unpopular opinion: I hate people like Klaus in real life and he does nothing for me on the show. I do however like his dynamic with ghost Ben and the general concept of his character, but he’s not my favorite, he just makes my eyes roll. What’s interesting about this show is that I don’t particularly like any of the characters - or I only like them sometimes, but I overall still very much enjoy the world building, plot and concepts. I find myself very entertained by the villains like Reginald and the Handler. I actually liked the Handler’s daughter which seems to be an unpopular opinion as well. As far as the kids, I like their group dynamic and the nonsense they get into, but individually I don’t care to see too much of any of their stories.
I really disliked Klaus in S1 because I find the whole druggie/PTSD trope to be overdone. But I love true crime and especially cults so I really liked his S2 character

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I don't like the group dynamic precisely because the two sisters are backgrounded like furniture or just yelling in void for guys or cut it out while guys are always engaged in repetitive pissing contests and get to have all the fun. Also ellen page can't act and most of her screentime was just starring intensely at sissy which is why her sl felt flat. When she does try to emote it comes out comical. This is still not a good show even tho s2 was slighlty better than s1. Handlers daughter was the only fun part. Once you watch it without blinders on you realize most women characters are relegated to lame plots and guys get to have all the fun or are heroes who save the day. Also still don't get how ppl are not more outraged by the black woman fucking the ape human but whatever.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Klaus was as useless as the sisters but his storylines were fun instead of sad mopey time suck that was vanyas sl and alisons sl that felt like a nod to blm but went nowhere

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I love Klaus, he is my favorite. :dance2:

How come Vanya resembles so much Ellie from TLOU, especially when she was living with Sissy and her son in A FARM. too much coinsidence and parallels :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I finally finished watching the 2nd season. Anyone knows why they made Vanya gay (or bi)? It kind of feels like an insult to LGBT actors to insinuate they can't pull off playing straight characters

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 14:51
I finally finished watching the 2nd season. Anyone knows why they made Vanya gay (or bi)? It kind of feels like an insult to LGBT actors to insinuate they can't pull off playing straight characters
No clue but season 1 Vanya always seemed gay to me, the boyfriend thing threw me to be honest. The way she dressed just screamed gay to me, I mean straight woman can be tomboyish but Vanya was beyond that. I didn't take it as a slight to Ellen's acting, I mean she was nominated for an oscar for a straight character way before she came out. Shes got the chops but has been typecasting herself.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

yep, same. Vayna has been gay since ep 1 in my eyes :tinfoil:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 16:13
Guest wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 14:51
No clue but season 1 Vanya always seemed gay to me, the boyfriend thing threw me to be honest. The way she dressed just screamed gay to me, I mean straight woman can be tomboyish but Vanya was beyond that. I didn't take it as a slight to Ellen's acting, I mean she was nominated for an oscar for a straight character way before she came out. Shes got the chops but has been typecasting herself.
I thought she was suppose to be gay too because the wardrobe department just let Ellen dress like herself on the show lol. All I got was Ellen page vibe from her that’s why I thought Vanya was meant to be gay. She’s a good actress, so I thought this was intentional cause honestly she looks like herself instead of a different character on the show.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

whaaat. I'm blind :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

don't wanna read too much of the thread cause I'm only 5 episodes in, but i so agree with the first poster. this season is a lot of fun so far! i'm loving the music and the way the action sequences and fights are choreographed to it. already hope there is another season!

i was actually a little skeptical about them going to this timeframe in dallas cause it's been done so much. but i'm liking everything else so far.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Im at episode 5. Please tell me they wont go the incest road again. I m tempted to skip al their scenes.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 16:39
Im at episode 5. Please tell me they wont go the incest road again. I m tempted to skip al their scenes.
it may be uncomfortable by social mores, but it isnt actually incest if they arent related. hell, there are a lot of legit couples that are biologically a zillion time more similar than those two. which has always been the reason that siblings are hopefully not attracted to each other. it weakens the bloodline.