US Politics

Reactions:

Re: US Politics

Post by Guest »

We have an ongoing insurrection. (Sorry for posting AccessM)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 02:03
Guest wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 01:02
Nancy Mace (R - SC) says her home was vandalized by "antifa". The handwriting is suspiciously similar to Nancy's. :lol:

https://imgur.com/gallery/KGYE0Nq
Check her clothes for over-spray. :lol:
Waiting for the ring doorbell videos to come in. :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Scary that this is a necessary commentary on society.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

^of course Access Maggie is seeding Trump's narrative that another case against him is biased.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

True to form, Trump's stenographer (with an assist from CNN) is whining about the criticisms of her "reinstated" tweet. Even the NYT passed on her big scoop, at least for now.
... if Trump’s alleged belief that he will be reinstated, which Haberman herself acknowledges could incite violence, is really “newsworthy,” and Haberman really is being criticized simply for “reporting the news,” then why hasn’t a single syllable of Haberman’s scoop been published in The New York Times?

If Haberman’s reporting failed to meet her own newspaper’s standards for newsworthiness, it could be argued that the potential to incite violence that Haberman cites could outweigh the news value of the scoop ...

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Dems shouldn't bite the hand (sorry, Joe's dog) that feeds them. Maggie is their friend

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 20:10
Dems shouldn't bite the hand (sorry, Joe's dog) that feeds them. Maggie is their friend
you must be new here.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
NYT is not friend of Democrats, remember email-gate. NYT is friend of Republicans, remember Cheney planting stories used to justify the Iraq invasion.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 20:31
guest wrote:
NYT is not friend of Democrats, remember email-gate. NYT is friend of Republicans, remember Cheney planting stories used to justify the Iraq invasion.
Ancient history, skirt Cheney was lauded on this thread a couple of weeks ago. Next you'll say Meet the Press is Repub mouthpiece.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 21:42
Guest wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 20:31
guest wrote:
Ancient history, skirt Cheney was lauded on this thread a couple of weeks ago. Next you'll say Meet the Press is Repub mouthpiece.
point and laugh

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

skirt Cheney was lauded on this thread a couple of weeks ago
She was acknowledged not lauded (there's a big fucking difference), and only for doing the absolute minimum by rejecting the Big Lie about the 2020 election. Her heinous record stands. She paved the way to the election lie by peddling other big lies about Iraq, etc., and refusing to denounce birther conspiracy theories.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So the stupid troll doesn't liz cheney isn't d--- cheney. :facepalm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Ugh, Tweety is back shilling his book on the media circuit. He straight-up lied on The View today when confronted about his well-documented sexist treatment of Hillary over the years. Instead of calling him on it, Joy Behar folded like a cheap suit.

I want to talk about another part of what happened to you,” Behar pivoted. “You made a lot of sexist comments about Hillary Clinton. You called her ‘she-devil,’ ‘witchy,’ ‘Nurse Ratched,’ among other things.”

Smiling and shaking his head, Matthews interjected: “No, I didn’t. I never did.”

Briefly speaking over each other, Behar appeared flustered as the former Hardball host reiterated that he never made those remarks about the one-time First Lady, imploring the View host to “look it up.”

“You never did that? So my research is wrong?” Behar wondered aloud.

“Well, I think what you heard was—you know what a tease is on the show?” Matthews replied. “There was a tease by a producer. It was setting up what the Republicans were going to do to her in that campaign.”

He continued: “It was a setup to a whole segment on the program how the Republicans were not going to run against her on the issues. They’ll go after her personally, in that kind of attack. That’s how that phrase was used... I never said that about her.”

A clearly confused Behar shot back that “it was reported that you said those things” before adding: “So that’s my bad—I think.” Seemingly exasperated by the turn of events, Behar tossed her papers to the side and handed off the questioning to co-host Sara Haines.

https://news.yahoo.com/joy-behar-confro ... 34205.html

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I'm crushing on one of the new board member of the Board of Governors of USPS. So well-spoken, so knowledgeable about voting.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

"Facebook announces Donald Trump will be suspended for two years"

What bothers me about stuff like this is that they were fine with him when he was president but now that he's out of power they see him as fair game.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Even chris wallace is saying manchin is an useful idiot. :facepalm:

https://www.rawstory.com/chris-wallace- ... ilibuster/

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So, how fucked is the US in the next 5-6yrs? The minimal actions that were needed to take to try to curb the spread of fascism (i.e., pass the "For the People Voting Rights Act" and grant statehood to DC) are not going to happen. Nothing has more has shown me how fragile our democracy is than Trump and, especially, January 6th. The latter prompted me to do a level of research into gaining citizenship or permanent residency status in other countries like nothing else.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 00:41
So, how fucked is the US in the next 5-6yrs? The minimal actions that were needed to take to try to curb the spread of fascism (i.e., pass the "For the People Voting Rights Act" and grant statehood to DC) are not going to happen. Nothing has more has shown me how fragile our democracy is than Trump and, especially, January 6th. The latter prompted me to do a level of research into gaining citizenship or permanent residency status in other countries like nothing else.
I agree that the US is in trouble. Tim Snyder, historian, has been warning about Trump's authoritarianism since 2015.

Jay Rosen
@jayrosen_nyu
I agree with Timothy Snyder. This is where it's going, and there is presently nothing on the horizon that would stop it. https://snyder.substack.com/p/911-and-16

re the bold, bots are pushing that line doing despair trolling on twitter. I'm not saying you're a bot or trolling, just that what you're saying is what somebody who hates the US wants you to say.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

It's more important than ever to win the midterms to get rid of manchin/sinema as the deciding votes. :nervous:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

re the bold, bots are pushing that line doing despair trolling on twitter. I'm not saying you're a bot or trolling, just that what you're saying is what somebody who hates the US wants you to say.
I'm definitely not the only one who has been severely spooked by Jan 6th, Trump's impact on this country, and concerned about the longevity of democracy in the US. I personally know people who aren't sure they want to be here if this country collapses. This has nothing to do with hating America, fond as I am not of our political system on the federal level and the activities around the world our government gets up to in the pursuit of maintaining power.

cache
Veteran
Reactions: 84

Post by cache »

The Axe Files with David Axelrod | Ep. 447 — Rep. Liz Cheney
When Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney was a little girl, she and her sister would spend Saturday mornings watching cartoons in the West Wing while their father, former Vice President d--- Cheney, served as Chief of Staff to President Ford. Rep. Cheney ultimately became a politician herself, rising to House GOP conference chair. She was removed from her leadership position in May after denouncing former President Trump’s repeated claims that the 2020 election was stolen. She joined David to talk about when she realized her position in Republican leadership was untenable, why she believes President Trump is dangerous to the GOP and the country as a whole, and why she still supports Dr. Anthony Fauci.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0524473403

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 01:21
I'm definitely not the only one who has been severely spooked by Jan 6th, Trump's impact on this country, and concerned about the longevity of democracy in the US. I personally know people who aren't sure they want to be here if this country collapses. This has nothing to do with hating America, fond as I am not of our political system on the federal level and the activities around the world our government gets up to in the pursuit of maintaining power.
I agree. I didn't mean for that to be an accusation. Just an observation of what I'd been seeing from bots on twitter.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Democrat calls Manchin 'the new Mitch McConnell' and says he is working to thwart Biden's agenda
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/politics ... hin-cnntv/
Washington (CNN)New York Rep. Jamaal Bowman on Monday compared fellow Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and said he is trying to thwart President Joe Biden's agenda after the West Virginia lawmaker stood by his decision to vote against a sweeping voting rights bill and opposition to gutting the filibuster.

"Joe Manchin has become the new Mitch McConnell. Mitch McConnell during Obama's presidency said he would do everything in his power to stop (then-President Barack Obama)," Bowman told CNN's John Berman on "New Day." "He's also repeated that now during the Biden presidency by saying he would do everything in his power to stop President Biden, and now Joe Manchin is doing everything in his power to stop democracy and to stop our work for the people, the work that the people sent us here to do."

Bowman continued, "Manchin is not pushing us closer to bipartisanship. He is doing the work of the Republican Party by being an obstructionist, just like they've been since the beginning of Biden's presidency."

Bowman's scathing criticism of his fellow Democrat is an outward sign of frustration in the party as Manchin's refusal to support changing the filibuster -- which would allow Democrats to pass major legislation with only 50 votes, not 60 -- has become a roadblock for some of Biden's agenda.

On Sunday, Manchin defended his decision to vote against a sweeping voting rights bill called the For the People Act, writing in an op-ed published in the Charleston Gazette that "partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening binds of our democracy."

For months, Manchin has remained a key holdup to the voting rights bill and he is the only Democratic senator not listed as a cosponsor on the legislation.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Is manchin stupid or evil? :hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 20:47
Is manchin stupid or evil? :hmmm:
Why not both?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I don't think Biden is fighting climate change as hard as he should. His immigration policies are almost as bad as Trump. Really just a politically correct version.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 21:06
I don't think Biden is fighting climate change as hard as he should. His immigration policies are almost as bad as Trump. Really just a politically correct version.
Yeah, his immigration policies are just Trump's, but with politically correct coating.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 21:16
Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 21:06
Yeah, his immigration policies are just Trump's, but with politically correct coating.
da
What more can he do? what more do you want him to do?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... story.html
Senate Democrats threaten to subpoena Barr, Sessions for testimony over Justice Dept.'s secret pursuit of two House Democrats' data
Senate Democratic leaders on Friday demanded that former attorneys general in the Trump administration testify over secret subpoenas of two House Democrats.

Politico: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/1 ... nas-493491
Barr distances himself from Trump-era subpoenas of Democratic lawmakers
Former Attorney General William Barr on Friday distanced himself from reports that the Trump Justice Department seized communications records belonging to two prominent Democratic lawmakers who were spearheading investigations into then-President Donald Trump.

NBC News: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... g-n1270495
DOJ internal watchdog to investigate Trump-era leak hunt targeting lawmakers, journalists
WASHINGTON — The Department of Justice's internal watchdog will investigate the Trump-era seizure of communication records from some Democratic lawmakers and journalists, the agency announced Friday.

cache
Veteran

Post by cache »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guess
Reactions:

Post by Guess »

Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 01:07
I can confidently say Democrats won't do shit; they're weak shits. Biden's admin is effectively over, he has done and will do nothing of value. Joe Manchin, Krysten Sinema, and Dianne Feinstein made sure it was over. When Democrats lose the House and Senate in 2022 they'll spend all their time trying to impeach Biden.

cache
Veteran

Post by cache »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

While both major parties are fielding a record number of female candidates, Democrats have crossed a historic threshold: For the first time, women account for more than half of the party's House nominees, 50 out of a total of 97.

The slate that took final form after the June 8 primary elections will battle for control of the House, with Democrats defending the majority they won two years ago after a generation in the wilderness and Republicans fired up to reclaim power.
:clap: :clap:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

A depressing reminder that Manchin and Sinema aren't the only Dem roadblocks. It's not mentioned in the article, but (judging by the Feinstein quotes) cognitive decline is likely a factor in her pro-filibuster stance.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, holder of one of the safest, most powerful, and most lucrative Senate seats in the country, the senior senator from the most liberal state in the union, on Thursday reiterated her unwillingness to vote to torpedo the Senate filibuster that lets Republicans veto President Joe Biden’s popular agenda.

“If democracy were in jeopardy, I would want to protect it,” she told Forbes on Wednesday. “But I don’t see it being in jeopardy right now.”
At least nine Senate Democrats have unofficially formed a Not-So Progressive Caucus to block progressive legislation and throw shade at abolishing the filibuster, without always explaining why. Besides Manchin, Sinema, and (occasionally) Feinstein, it can include Montana’s Jon Tester, Delaware’s Chris Coons and Tom Carper (often viewed as home-state Biden stand-ins), Maine independent Angus King, New Hampshire’s Maggie Hassan, and Maryland’s Ben Cardin.

Feinstein’s hometown San Francisco Chronicle blasted the filibuster-supporting senator last month, when the GOP used it to block a bipartisan January 6 commission to investigate the violence that occurred in her own workplace. Feinstein staunchly supported establishing a commission, but acted bewildered when reporters asked if that outrageous GOP obstruction should spell the end of the filibuster. “I don’t see us abolishing the 60-vote threshold. I don’t.” Asked if she’d vote to nix it anyway, she said, bizarrely: “This is the first time I’ve heard it. No one has proposed it. No one has talked to me about it. So it’s a non-issue.”

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guess wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 13:46
Guest wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 01:07
I can confidently say Democrats won't do shit; they're weak shits. Biden's admin is effectively over, he has done and will do nothing of value. Joe Manchin, Krysten Sinema, and Dianne Feinstein made sure it was over. When Democrats lose the House and Senate in 2022 they'll spend all their time trying to impeach Biden.
I love the idea that I was able to get fully vaccinated back in March in a really efficient mass vaccination center operated by FEMA. Hmmm, the Biden admin had a lot to with that. Obviously you do not care about stuff like this since you probably no longer give a rat's ass about the pandemic.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Once again, Mitch says the quiet part out loud. Dems MUST retain the House in '22.