Investing & Personal Finance

Reactions:

Re: Investing & Personal Finance

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 04:42
Guest wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 03:40
Why are all the news outlet coverage focused on the redditors and not on the hedgefunds?
I guess because hedge funds related news tend to be boring. Redditors are the hot click of the week.
Exactly. Hedge funds have been around since 1949. Hell short selling supposedly since the 1600s.
Of course the media is gonna focus on the new shiny phenomena.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Under armour looks like they're going places.
It looks like Vanessa Bryant has inherited the company and they are expanding to women.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

:rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 23:00

Movie rights? :rofl:
These bros gonna learn the twin of "money corrupts everything" is "fame corrupts everyone".

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

nothing like a bit of drama to keep things alive, like the lchat

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 01:35
Guest wrote:

nothing like a bit of drama to keep things alive, like the lchat
They are worse than the lchat in that dept.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/7bd473e5-d7 ... stock.html

What do you think? A crash coming soon?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 04:06

Crash of what?

It's probably high frequency trading caused by trading activity of Robinhood traders.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 04:18
Guest wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 04:06

Crash of what?

It's probably high frequency trading caused by trading activity of Robinhood traders.
and last year it would've been 33 year high
always a crash coming, if they write regularly enough someone is bound to get it right once

but i din't think there's a crash coming near future, probably a correction is overdue but not crash

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I don't want a crash because I want our country's economy to be strong of course, but I never really sweat when/if it's going to crash.
Because I don't market time or do day trading, all a crash means is I can buy index funds cheaper, and my automatic rebalancing shifts some bond $ over.

Last year I forced myself to stop looking at my balance when the crash happened, so I wouldn't be tempted to sell.

I feel bad for a couple family and friends who got scared and moved their money into safer investments, they locked in their losses and didn't gain like I did. I don't know why people keep trying to predict or time the market. You're gonna think you know better than nobel prize economists? Good luck.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Don't move to Canada, you can't afford it. :lol:

Shelby
Veteran
Reactions: 172

Post by Shelby »

^What's going on in Canada? :hmmm:
My pronouns are Cash/App and Venmo/me

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Shelby wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 23:20
Horrible home prices, Vancouver is crazy expensive now.... I hope America does not follow

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 23:23
Shelby wrote:
Horrible home prices, Vancouver is crazy expensive now.... I hope America does not follow
What's driving it? Just too much movement to a few big urban hotspots?

The thing with home prices and investing in real estate is everything is local not national, and follows job booms especially. Where I live, my home has rocketed up in price because it's become an area everyone wants to live. Where my parents live, they have to practically give their house away.

That's why I think if someone wants to invest in say, a rental property, people should consider buying outside their home area.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 21:10
I don't want a crash because I want our country's economy to be strong of course, but I never really sweat when/if it's going to crash.
Because I don't market time or do day trading, all a crash means is I can buy index funds cheaper, and my automatic rebalancing shifts some bond $ over.

Last year I forced myself to stop looking at my balance when the crash happened, so I wouldn't be tempted to sell.

I feel bad for a couple family and friends who got scared and moved their money into safer investments, they locked in their losses and didn't gain like I did. I don't know why people keep trying to predict or time the market. You're gonna think you know better than nobel prize economists? Good luck.
I don't think the economy will recover and exceed it as quickly as it did during last year's crash though.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 00:22
Guest wrote:

I don't think the economy will recover and exceed it as quickly as it did during last year's crash though.
Doesn't really matter, as long as it eventually recovers and continues going up. You only lose if you pull your money out when it crashes and don't keep investing.
I'd never invest money I needed to eat, or earlier than 10 years in the future, because I couldn't give it time to recover.

In the history of our country that's always held true. Theoretically, could it continue downward for decades? Sure but if that happened, losing your investments would be the least of your worries. Time to stock up for living in a bunker or homestead.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 00:00
Guest wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 23:23
Shelby wrote:
What's driving it? Just too much movement to a few big urban hotspots?

The thing with home prices and investing in real estate is everything is local not national, and follows job booms especially. Where I live, my home has rocketed up in price because it's become an area everyone wants to live. Where my parents live, they have to practically give their house away.

That's why I think if someone wants to invest in say, a rental property, people should consider buying outside their home area.
da
People are buying instead of renting (probably because of low interest rates) and lots of people are also buying to rent.

For the Toronto region:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

da
People are buying instead of renting (probably because of low interest rates) and lots of people are also buying to rent.

For the Toronto region:
Interesting. Well I think the smart thing to do, at least for people in their 20s/30s is take advantage of lower rents combined with higher incomes (typically in a big city).

For example, I have an ex-coworker who moved to SF and he's talking about buying a house but he can't afford anything good.... with his salary that would be extremely high anywhere else. I think he's nuts. There's tons of nice places to live in this world. Just save your money and buy a fancy place somewhere else after saving for 7 years or something.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 00:42
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Doesn't really matter, as long as it eventually recovers and continues going up. You only lose if you pull your money out when it crashes and don't keep investing.
I'd never invest money I needed to eat, or earlier than 10 years in the future, because I couldn't give it time to recover.

In the history of our country that's always held true. Theoretically, could it continue downward for decades? Sure but if that happened, losing your investments would be the least of your worries. Time to stock up for living in a bunker or homestead.
Not everyone is young and has decades to build back up what they lost. I would say take some money out and then when it crashes, reinvest and buy.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 02:46
Guest wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 00:42
Guest wrote:

Not everyone is young and has decades to build back up what they lost. I would say take some money out and then when it crashes, reinvest and buy.
DA, people closer to retirement really should have cashing out even before the pandemic. The classic advice is to have minimum of 3 years of expenses worth in cash before retiring so they can ride out market volatility without being forced to sell at a loss. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't take retirement planning seriously enough. And I'm not just talking about twenty-somethings who don't think about retirement because it seems like a far-away concept, like I know work colleagues in their 50s and 60s who really should know better. As I get older, I've been putting aside small amounts of cash from my pay cheques and dividends(like less than 5%) to pad out my cash savings as part of my retirement plan, with 95% either being used to invest or go towards my future mortgage(I also plan to have at least one fully paid off home before I retire). So far, I have 12 months worth of expenses in cash separate to my investments and future home deposit. My goal before I retire is to have that cash at at least 36 months worth of expenses, and for my investments to be at a level where a 4% per annum return pays for my yearly expenses. Some people are even being even more conservative and are targetting a 3% withdrawal rate to ensure they don't ever get forced to go back to work once they retire.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 03:07
Guest wrote:
DA, people closer to retirement really should have cashing out even before the pandemic. The classic advice is to have minimum of 3 years of expenses worth in cash before retiring so they can ride out market volatility without being forced to sell at a loss. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't take retirement planning seriously enough. And I'm not just talking about twenty-somethings who don't think about retirement because it seems like a far-away concept, like I know work colleagues in their 50s and 60s who really should know better. As I get older, I've been putting aside small amounts of cash from my pay cheques and dividends(like less than 5%) to pad out my cash savings as part of my retirement plan, with 95% either being used to invest or go towards my future mortgage(I also plan to have at least one fully paid off home before I retire). So far, I have 12 months worth of expenses in cash separate to my investments and future home deposit. My goal before I retire is to have that cash at at least 36 months worth of expenses, and for my investments to be at a level where a 4% per annum return pays for my yearly expenses. Some people are even being even more conservative and are targetting a 3% withdrawal rate to ensure they don't ever get forced to go back to work once they retire.
That's great, sounds like you'll be in a great position. .

"people closer to retirement" yeah that's the key point. Everybody's circumstances in life is different.That's why there are those guidelines like "put 100 - your age"-percent in index funds and the rest in bonds, and why target date funds exist (where you just buy one fund and they do the adjusting as you age). It's to gradually move people away from investments in the stock market as they get closer to retirement, so they don't take that risk.

For me, it would be foolish to take money out of my investments based on crash fears. You can find crash projections in the media or online every damn year. Sometimes it's right, most of the time it's not.

For illustration, if I someone had been incredibly unlucky and had dumped a one time 10k investment in an S&P index the year before the 2008 crash and recession?
They'd have over 25k now.
Sure they'd have more, if they magically knew when it was coming, but nobody does.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 13:09
Guest wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 03:07
Guest wrote:
That's great, sounds like you'll be in a great position. .

"people closer to retirement" yeah that's the key point. Everybody's circumstances in life is different.That's why there are those guidelines like "put 100 - your age"-percent in index funds and the rest in bonds, and why target date funds exist (where you just buy one fund and they do the adjusting as you age). It's to gradually move people away from investments in the stock market as they get closer to retirement, so they don't take that risk.

For me, it would be foolish to take money out of my investments based on crash fears. You can find crash projections in the media or online every damn year. Sometimes it's right, most of the time it's not.

For illustration, if I someone had been incredibly unlucky and had dumped a one time 10k investment in an S&P index the year before the 2008 crash and recession?
They'd have over 25k now.
Sure they'd have more, if they magically knew when it was coming, but nobody does.
Thanks! I wish I had started with my strategy earlier, then I would have been able to coastFI by now. The key for me was finally putting together a yearly target for expenses with generous buffers to be able to have a target amount I need my investments to grow to. Like I could aim for leanFIRE, but knowing myself, I like small luxuries here and there. I plan to sip lattes at least twice a week in retirement :lol:

Speaking of 2008, one of my old work colleagues crystallized his losses back then by switching his retirement account to all cash after the crash. Then to further compound his mistake, he got forgetful and forgot to switch the investment options back to a mix of stocks and bonds when the market started to recover, then kept on second-guessing himself on precisely when to jump back into the markets, and all of his retirement account is still in cash to this day. There are now literally juniors in the office who have the same amount in retirement than he does. He missed out on more than a decade of growth. The moral of the story is to keep dollar-cost averaging into index funds and find hobbies other than looking at the charts all day lol.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Would you buy any airline stocks? :hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 09:59
Thanks! I wish I had started with my strategy earlier, then I would have been able to coastFI by now. The key for me was finally putting together a yearly target for expenses with generous buffers to be able to have a target amount I need my investments to grow to. Like I could aim for leanFIRE, but knowing myself, I like small luxuries here and there. I plan to sip lattes at least twice a week in retirement :lol:

Speaking of 2008, one of my old work colleagues crystallized his losses back then by switching his retirement account to all cash after the crash. Then to further compound his mistake, he got forgetful and forgot to switch the investment options back to a mix of stocks and bonds when the market started to recover, then kept on second-guessing himself on precisely when to jump back into the markets, and all of his retirement account is still in cash to this day. There are now literally juniors in the office who have the same amount in retirement than he does. He missed out on more than a decade of growth. The moral of the story is to keep dollar-cost averaging into index funds and find hobbies other than looking at the charts all day lol.
Ouch, your colleague really missed out. That's why I never try to talk certain people I know into investing. Sure, they're missing out on a lot of long term gains. But for people who are just going to pull out their money when they see a dip/crash (no judgment here) they'd be better off sticking it in a CD or whatever.

"I wish I had started with my strategy earlier"
This is what kills me. I grew up with zero education about money, and if I'd known some things that seem so simple now, I'd have a better start. Sometimes I think about how I could help get free personal finance education to kids/teens, especially girls. Maybe that will be a project when I retire.

Here's to sipping lattes in retirement. :dance2:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Aren't you supposed to buy and hold till retirement age? That's certainly the typical strategy for buying index funds.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I think this is a decent video to show how to generate monthly income with dividend stocks:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Are weed stocks a good buy right now? :hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So...it takes money to make more money? :hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

^ The city of Stockton has been running that UBI pilot program for a while now, hasn't it? It seems the mass takeaway from these pilot programs is that, yes, the quality of life of these people does improve.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Good time to buy tech? :hmmm:

QQQ

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Has the freezing of buying GME shares been stopped? Because it's gonna go up up up if so.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 16:14
^ The city of Stockton has been running that UBI pilot program for a while now, hasn't it? It seems the mass takeaway from these pilot programs is that, yes, the quality of life of these people does improve.
The mayor brought it in, ran the pilot and proved it worked, then his former rival ran a weird racist fake news campaign against him so they voted him out and now it's stopped.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I put some money in Bitcoin and eth a few months back just out of curiosity mainly and geez, this stuff goes up and down too much. I mean, I don’t see who is seriously investing in crypto currency outside of millionaires with a few hundred grand to play with that they don’t really care about. Is this mostly people who try to game the market by getting in and out at the right times? Is that who Bitcoin is for?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Another bubble... :hmmm:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 14:51
I put some money in Bitcoin and eth a few months back just out of curiosity mainly and geez, this stuff goes up and down too much. I mean, I don’t see who is seriously investing in crypto currency outside of millionaires with a few hundred grand to play with that they don’t really care about. Is this mostly people who try to game the market by getting in and out at the right times? Is that who Bitcoin is for?
I have a friend who invested in Bitcoin yeeears ago. She wasn't a millionaire. She just sat on it, hoping something would come from it and now her investment return is up over 107%. She had Eth too, but sold them all. But like I said, this was a long time ago. I don't know any average person investing in it now though.

I've entertained investing in cheaper crypto. Letting it sit long term and seeing where it goes. I would never invest money I wasn't willing to lose, but at the time same time I don't want to lose it lol