Re: Horror Movies

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 01:07
guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 00:38
Guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 00:07

Agreed. Intense thrillers based on real incidents, offbeat and dark westerns, and gripping realistic war movies are far scarier than horror films to me. You become vividly aware while watching them that horror films and television shows with supernatural creatures, aliens or hyperbolic serial killers/boogerymen are make-believe, but stuff that reflects the real world with real human monsters or barbaric cultures, past or present, is sooo much more frightening and disturbing.
Dead Man (96) is example of dark western
I remember watching on TV years ago a western from the early 1950s starring Gregory Peck directed by Gordon Douglas (Them!) - a tough, unusually gritty director, like Anthony Mann - where U.S. Calvary soldiers were being picked off one by one in a long stretch of canyon by unseen hostile native americans. It played like a suspenseful horror film at times. It was unusually graphic for the period and among the very first Hollywood films to use squibs (explosive blood packs). That's when I first realized that dark westerns had the ability to cause scary tension like a good horror film. Soldier Blue (1970) with Candace Bergen was so outrageously gruesome in some scenes that it must have really freaked audiences out back in the day.
The Dennis Weaver torture scene in Dual at Diablo (66) in intense

Reactions:

Post by guest »

As a girl, I was scared of the colonialists getting their due in The Naked Prey (65)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I finally watched Suspiria (1977). Yes, from a technical standpoint it is very impressive and ahead of it's time but other that I thought it was just fine? Idk, I feel disappointed.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 19:33
As a girl, I was scared of the colonialists getting their due in The Naked Prey (65)
Another fine example of a non-horror film that feels like a horror film but is scarier than most because it deals with culture clash (arrogant white explorers vs. barbaric African tribe).
and unlike something like the overrated, tacky and extreme Cannibal Holocaust, it managed to be disturbing without gore. Highly recommended for those that haven't seen it. It was based on a real incident involving an american fur trapper in the 17th/18th century that was chased in a macabre contest by native americans.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:01
I finally watched Suspiria (1977). Yes, from a technical standpoint it is very impressive and ahead of it's time but other that I thought it was just fine? Idk, I feel disappointed.
I know it's sacrilege to say so but I liked the remake more lol

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
Alida Valli though

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 19:05
Guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 01:07
guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 00:38

Dead Man (96) is example of dark western
I remember watching on TV years ago a western from the early 1950s starring Gregory Peck directed by Gordon Douglas (Them!) - a tough, unusually gritty director, like Anthony Mann - where U.S. Calvary soldiers were being picked off one by one in a long stretch of canyon by unseen hostile native americans. It played like a suspenseful horror film at times. It was unusually graphic for the period and among the very first Hollywood films to use squibs (explosive blood packs). That's when I first realized that dark westerns had the ability to cause scary tension like a good horror film. Soldier Blue (1970) with Candace Bergen was so outrageously gruesome in some scenes that it must have really freaked audiences out back in the day.
The Dennis Weaver torture scene in Dual at Diablo (66) in intense
Directed by the same guy who did Soldier Blue which was so sickening in its original, uncut screening for a preview audience that it was deemed unreleasable by the studio and had to be immediately re-edited
Candice Bergen told a story that there was this large van on set filled with prosthetics of human limbs, heads and animatronics lol I also remember an another old western from the 1950s where Ralph Meeker meets a similar fate as Dennis Weaver in DaD. I think it was directed by Robert Aldrich (Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?).

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Any suggestion for good movies without gore feast? looking for some to see on halloween with a friend that is sensible to gore stuff

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:57
Any suggestion for good movies without gore feast? looking for some to see on halloween with a friend that is sensible to gore stuff
The Babadook
Spoorloos
The Grudge
The Others

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 20:23
Guest wrote:
I know it's sacrilege to say so but I liked the remake more lol
Same and same! The original was such a let down after all the hype around it. The remake I put on in the background fully intending to fight my way through it and instead I got hooked! The end was awesome.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 22:00
Guest wrote:
The Babadook
Spoorloos
The Grudge
The Others
The babadook has to go down as one of the worst films (not just horror! FILMS) of all time for me. :lol:

I found the actors terrible, the script painful and the child so infuriatingly irritable i couldnt appreciate anything else about the whole film.
And id looked forward to it alot so was such a dissapointment to me

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

You can always go old school. Double feature of psychopaths (without the gore).

M - Fritz Lang (1931)
Peeping Tom - Michael Powell (1960)

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
The Babadook
Spoorloos
The Grudge
The Others
The Grudge is kind of gorey. Or at least the Japanese versions were.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Just watched Host on Shudder and it's pretty solid. It's only an hour long so it's a quick watch. Much better than that Unfriended crap and the other ones like it. Probably going watch The Mortuary Collection next. I've also been watching 50 States of Fright (how funny Quibi just announced they are shutting down). It's not too bad. I really liked a few of the eps, and then a few are bad (the Raimi ep was hilarious and not in a good way to me).

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 22:12
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
The Babadook
Spoorloos
The Grudge
The Others
The babadook has to go down as one of the worst films (not just horror! FILMS) of all time for me. :lol:

I found the actors terrible, the script painful and the child so infuriatingly irritable i couldnt appreciate anything else about the whole film.
And id looked forward to it alot so was such a dissapointment to me
lol same all that hype man...

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

wow. I thought the mother (essie davis) was excellent in the babadook. i can't understand how anyone would consider her performance "bad" acting. :blinkwide:

p.s. I watched Miss Fisher's Murder mysteries for years and was half way before I realized it was the same actress.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 00:56
wow. I thought the mother (essie davis) was excellent in the babadook. i can't understand how anyone would consider her performance "bad" acting. :blinkwide:

p.s. I watched Miss Fisher's Murder mysteries for years and was half way before I realized it was the same actress.
Besides Babadook, I only saw her in Babyteeth and as Jodie Comer's mum in The White Princess but while I didn't particularly like any of these films/series I didn't hate them either (except Babyteeth) I thought she was at least adequate.

Lulupop
Reactions:

Post by Lulupop »

Guest wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 00:36
Hereditary was the only film from this list that unsettled me but I wouldn't say it scared me it just got under my skin, more disturbing than scary. Sinister and Insidious weren't scary at all unless you consider cheap jump scares scary. ^o)

Lulupop
Reactions:

Post by Lulupop »

Guest wrote:
Gerald's Game and 1922 if you want something gory with great story and acting too. Two brilliant Stephen King adaptations.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
I still haven't seen Sinister. But the lawnmower scene scared me. And Hereditary was good up until the last 20 mins. I found Insidious boring.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Lulupop wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 02:41
Guest wrote:
Gerald's Game and 1922 if you want something gory with great story and acting too. Two brilliant Stephen King adaptations.
They want something that's not gory :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
It Follows was great.

Paranormal Activity was ok until the ending. They should have stuck to the original instead of pandering to SS.

The Descent is depressing and did not need a sequel.

The Visit was a good return to form for M Night.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I like a lot of Ethan Hawke's projects so I was thinking of watching Sinister tonight.

I watched The Strangers the other night and thought it was pretty good for a home invasion movie.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Sinister is decent and much better than the first Insidious, imo. It has an unsettling, genuinely evil vibe to it that most horror films, even extreme ones, tend to lack. I tried to watch Sinister 2 but didn't get far into it. It was a good idea for a single film, not a series.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Yeah, Gerald's Game, while good, has one grisly moment that probably had even seasoned gorehounds going, "ick" :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I like Sinister, kinda long but pretty good plot. The sequel was a total let down, didn't really enjoy it.

I think asian (mostly Thai) horror movies are better than western horror movies when it comes to scare factor. I'd recommend one if only I remember the title.

Gonna take this time to rant. I hate the lack quality scary movies nowadays. I feel lucky to watch really good ones.
Also, it's October, but why aren't they giving good selection of horror movies in TV and netlfix.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

A lot of modern horror movies lose their scare factor for me because they use cgi tbh. Especially if they use it for their 'monster' and show too much of it. They just always look weightless and fake to me. I was watching 'mother' the other day and it really ruined the mood of the film.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 13:23
I like a lot of Ethan Hawke's projects so I was thinking of watching Sinister tonight.

I watched The Strangers the other night and thought it was pretty good for a home invasion movie.
Liv Tyler is always worth the watch.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Sometimes CGI is very well done though. Love and Monsters (2020) had first-rate CGI and the film itself is very good and quite accessible (no more gore than what you'd typically see in an old Ray Harryhausen movie). I have a fondness for good, slightly scary monster movies, especially those with heart. It succeeded in what M. Night Shyamalan's After Earth (2013) tried to do but failed. Highly recommended for Halloween if you haven't seen it. In fact, it's my biggest recommendation for the season, and I'm one of those here who muses too much on the old days of horror/monster movies because I think at least 95% of modern stuff is crud. Make plenty of popcorn.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

The Shining is overrated. There I said it. We all survived didn't we?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Viewers are a bunch of pussies. :lol: Hereditary was boring as a horror film since nothing scary happens until the end. The Visit was like a goddamn comedy film to me.

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 20:01
The Shining is overrated. There I said it. We all survived didn't we?
Shelly Duvall didn't

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I love a lot about the shining. everything to do with the boy. the way the house was filmed. the sound editing. i actually think it's influence a lot of suspense films that came after. to me, the weakness was jack nicholson. cause jack nicholson became such a caricature of himself in movies it's almost impossible to find him scary. he didn't seem like just this normal guy who lost his mind as he was being controlled by the house. which could be scary if done right. he seemed like jack nicholson doing his schitck, you know?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 23:27
I love a lot about the shining. everything to do with the boy. the way the house was filmed. the sound editing. i actually think it's influence a lot of suspense films that came after. to me, the weakness was jack nicholson. cause jack nicholson became such a caricature of himself in movies it's almost impossible to find him scary. he didn't seem like just this normal guy who lost his mind as he was being controlled by the house. which could be scary if done right. he seemed like jack nicholson doing his schitck, you know?
I never thought about that, but now that I am, wow you're right. It would have been so much scarier with a different actor.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Hereditary is the most overhyped horror movie of all time. I seriously don't understand what people found scary. It was just a bunch of loud noises to me. :nails:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 23:51
Guest wrote:
Hereditary is the most overhyped horror movie of all time. I seriously don't understand what people found scary. It was just a bunch of loud noises to me. :nails:
The decapitation scene was well done imo.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Get taste babe :mask:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I still love Scream. That opening 10 minutes with Drew is one of my favorite film scenes of all time.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 01:12
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
DA. Yeah that scene had a genuine shock factor to me. Beyond that though I'm not really into horror movies that delve into the supernatural, personally. Requiem for a Dream is still the most terrifying movie I've ever seen even though it's not technically horror.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 01:51
I still love Scream. That opening 10 minutes with Drew is one of my favorite film scenes of all time.
As someone who came of age in the 90s I have to agree.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 01:51
I still quote this scene :lol:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
I feel like horror movies age horribly compared to other genres. Even scifi fantasy I'd argue ages better. Lots of movies that were deemed scary back in their days aren't anymore. Shining is one. Exorcist is another. Even Halloween I feel is not very scary despite being considered one of the best in the genre.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
The director was torturing Duvall when he should have been torturing Nicholson.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Are we ever gonna be able to see craven' cut of cursed (2005)? The weinsteins really did everything in their power to ruin that movie, we were robbed

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 01:55
Guest wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 01:12
Guest wrote:

DA. Yeah that scene had a genuine shock factor to me. Beyond that though I'm not really into horror movies that delve into the supernatural, personally. Requiem for a Dream is still the most terrifying movie I've ever seen even though it's not technically horror.
😮 same. That movie haunts me.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 06:00
Are we ever gonna be able to see craven' cut of cursed (2005)? The weinsteins really did everything in their power to ruin that movie, we were robbed
I love that terrible movie. Sucks that we didn't get the unrated version of the dvd here in Aus. Bts sounds like an absolute clusterfuck though.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 07:00
Guest wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 06:00
I love that terrible movie. Sucks that we didn't get the unrated version of the dvd here in Aus. Bts sounds like an absolute clusterfuck though.
What’s the deal with this movie? Never even heard about it before but sounds like there was drama?