Kate Mckinnon

Reactions:

Re: Kate Mckinnon

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:58
Guest wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 12:43
So if Kate is around for this run are we expecting her to be out for the rest of the season? Or back in time for the last few shows before summer?
I was wondering this too. Joe Exotic is supposed to be 8 episodes. How long do shows that length usually take to film? She'll probably have to quarantine upon returning? I get nervous thinking about it lol.
It'll probably take up to 2-3 months of filming the most. It but that also depends on the episode length size as well. My guess is she'll finish up with the next two snl shows then head to Australia. I doubt she'll waste the next two weeks quarantining when she could be working instead.

sourpatchsquids
Reactions:

Post by sourpatchsquids »

Guest wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 05:37

I can't really tell but I'm thinking Punkie?
Totally. Anyone else a fan of her so far? I know she’s only been in a few sketches and we don’t have a ton to go off of, but from what I HAVE seen? She’s awesome.

Like, good comedic timing, good instincts and her reactions to things crack me up. It’s so rad to see her and Kate embracing, as soon as she got on the show I immediately knew OK, definitely lesbian!

And it’s pretty friggin cool having more than one on the cast at the same time considering Kate was the first to even be publicly out as gay.

I wonder if Kate and punkie will become pals and write sketches together. Here’s hoping

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

sourpatchsquids wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 02:57
Guest wrote:

Totally. Anyone else a fan of her so far? I know she’s only been in a few sketches and we don’t have a ton to go off of, but from what I HAVE seen? She’s awesome.

Like, good comedic timing, good instincts and her reactions to things crack me up. It’s so rad to see her and Kate embracing, as soon as she got on the show I immediately knew OK, definitely lesbian!

And it’s pretty friggin cool having more than one on the cast at the same time considering Kate was the first to even be publicly out as gay.

I wonder if Kate and punkie will become pals and write sketches together. Here’s hoping
It’s nice that the writers and cast have their little groups but it would be nice if Kate worked with people like Punkie and Sudi Green and Mikey Day and not just Alison and Anna every single time. I miss the days when her,Aidy,Chris and Sarah worked together and they always put out amazing work. Now it’s kinda predictable hit or miss. Kate’s only in sketches that Alison writes and though she is good it’s not as broad ranged as it used to be.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 00:19
sourpatchsquids wrote:
Guest wrote:

It’s nice that the writers and cast have their little groups but it would be nice if Kate worked with people like Punkie and Sudi Green and Mikey Day and not just Alison and Anna every single time. I miss the days when her,Aidy,Chris and Sarah worked together and they always put out amazing work. Now it’s kinda predictable hit or miss. Kate’s only in sketches that Alison writes and though she is good it’s not as broad ranged as it used to be.
I have to agree. I still enjoy the majority of her sketches but it's obvious the writing for Kate's sketches now is no way near the quality of the work she did with Chris and Sarah. I'm happy for her relationship with Alison & she obv wants to work with her partner & support her but it's just not her best work.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 02:45
Guest wrote:
sourpatchsquids wrote:

I have to agree. I still enjoy the majority of her sketches but it's obvious the writing for Kate's sketches now is no way near the quality of the work she did with Chris and Sarah. I'm happy for her relationship with Alison & she obv wants to work with her partner & support her but it's just not her best work.
It's not that bad. Alison and Anna are probably the closest writers they'll get to Chris and Sarah. Before them Kate was working with Sudi. They did a couple girl group songs and to me they fell flat compared to Chris and Sarah's ones. In all honesty I think Anna Alison Celeste and James should all team up and write something.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

sourpatchsquids wrote:
Guest wrote:

Yes! I like Punkie for those reasons as well. Although I find Kate's humor different from hers in that Kate has a silliness I haven't really gotten from Punkie.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 03:29
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

It's not that bad. Alison and Anna are probably the closest writers they'll get to Chris and Sarah. Before them Kate was working with Sudi. They did a couple girl group songs and to me they fell flat compared to Chris and Sarah's ones. In all honesty I think Anna Alison Celeste and James should all team up and write something.
James is not there anymore actually

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 17:15
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

What?! Well no wonder the writing sucks! lol Get James and Paula Pell back. SNL seems to go through quite a few writers... what makes them leave?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 00:45
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

What?! Well no wonder the writing sucks! lol Get James and Paula Pell back. SNL seems to go through quite a few writers... what makes them leave?
A lot of them go into acting themselves or do stand up full time. Chris and Sarah left because they got their own show on comedy central.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

So Kate has quit The Dropout?!

I was looking forward to her in this more than the Carol Baskin! 😭

Reactions:

Post by guest »

I agree with the previous writer: I was looking forward to this much more than the Baskin program. Love to hear the story behind this cancellation. Was curious to see her play straight drama in a lead role. Baskin will be a lead, of course, but much like the quirky side kicks she's been slotted in previously. Of course projects are getting cancelled left and right because of Covid. Love to hear anyone's insights/information on this.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 04:05
I agree with the previous writer: I was looking forward to this much more than the Baskin program. Love to hear the story behind this cancellation. Was curious to see her play straight drama in a lead role. Baskin will be a lead, of course, but much like the quirky side kicks she's been slotted in previously. Of course projects are getting cancelled left and right because of Covid. Love to hear anyone's insights/information on this.
I agree. She was perfect for Holmes imo & I thought it would have been the much better role for her overall.

The show is still going ahead, just now looking for a new lead since Kate left. I'm assuming since both have been pushed back she only had the time to do one. It says summer filming for The Dropout - do we think the Baskin series will film into the summer? Or does she have something else planned?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Nooo! That sucks. She would have been amazing. I hope she has something better lined up.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Darn! I'm sure she's feeling at least a bit bummed herself.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Ugh I was starting to think we would hear that'd she'd withdrawn from the Carol Baskin thing with the pushbacks, travel to Australia in a pandemic...etc. What a disappointment!
I do hope she's OK though. I see people constantly questioning her mental health in the SNL discussion due to her sketches on just that & because her heart hasn't seemed to have been in it as much this year, which considering the year we've all had isn't surprising. I hope this was simply a casualty of Covid creating scheduling conflicts & not Kate feeling down on herself.

Reactions:

Post by guest »

No one in this discussion (unless one of you is secretly Kate's therapist, if she has one) is in any position to evaluate her emotional well being. Don't presume to familiarity you don't have.

Strangearchon
Reactions: 3

Post by Strangearchon »

Kate is playing characters. Sometimes the character she plays is called Kate McKinnon. But the character and the actor are not identical. Portraying someone having a meltdown doesn't mean one is actually having one. In fact, if she were really falling a apart,she probably couldn't do what she does.

Kate once said: "Comedy is a tool of togetherness It's a way of putting your arm around someone, pointing at something and saying, 'Isn't it funny that we do that'? It's a way of reaching out."

She's funny but I take her words here very seriously. By enacting the depression and distress or despair many of us feel, she is reaching out, bringing us together, making us feel less alone. I'm sure the pandemic is getting to her since it's getting to all of us. But her way of dealing, this reaching out through her enactments that include distress in with the humor is incredibly valuable. I can't speak for anyone else, but what she does with her characters makes me feel like a human being connected with other human beings more than anything else that currently fills my locked down life. It's more than an escape from a miserable reality. It's a kind of transcendence. And I will never stop being grateful for that.

Retired old academic dyke will shut up now.
2 Image

Reactions:

Post by guest »

Oh, please don't shut up. Keep talking. I'm a retired dyke myself and appreciate hearing from an insightful peer.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 11:44
Ugh I was starting to think we would hear that'd she'd withdrawn from the Carol Baskin thing with the pushbacks, travel to Australia in a pandemic...etc. What a disappointment!
I do hope she's OK though. I see people constantly questioning her mental health in the SNL discussion due to her sketches on just that & because her heart hasn't seemed to have been in it as much this year, which considering the year we've all had isn't surprising. I hope this was simply a casualty of Covid creating scheduling conflicts & not Kate feeling down on herself.
I’d have to disagree with you. She seems happier than most these days and it’s probably got to do with her being newly married/engaged , and being able to work and express herself when lots of comedians like her can’t right now due to covid. Though her dropping out of a project sounds out of character for her it’s probably because it would collide with her Carol baskin project. Definitely feels like she’s slowing down, maybe this year of covid she’s realized she can’t push herself as much as she used to.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Strangearchon wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 01:17
Kate is playing characters. Sometimes the character she plays is called Kate McKinnon. But the character and the actor are not identical. Portraying someone having a meltdown doesn't mean one is actually having one. In fact, if she were really falling a apart,she probably couldn't do what she does.

Kate once said: "Comedy is a tool of togetherness It's a way of putting your arm around someone, pointing at something and saying, 'Isn't it funny that we do that'? It's a way of reaching out."

She's funny but I take her words here very seriously. By enacting the depression and distress or despair many of us feel, she is reaching out, bringing us together, making us feel less alone. I'm sure the pandemic is getting to her since it's getting to all of us. But her way of dealing, this reaching out through her enactments that include distress in with the humor is incredibly valuable. I can't speak for anyone else, but what she does with her characters makes me feel like a human being connected with other human beings more than anything else that currently fills my locked down life. It's more than an escape from a miserable reality. It's a kind of transcendence. And I will never stop being grateful for that.

Yes!

I wouldn't be surprised if she has struggled this year as I don't know anyone who hasn't & her sketches addressing it have been welcome. Certain SNL fans have dismissed Wenowdis...etc but it's precisely how relatable Kate's characters have been that have made them popular with the mainstream.

With The Dropout, I think its probably just a scheduling conflict (or she's lost interest in the time it's taken) although I do wish it had won out simply because it seemed the more interesting of the two imo & I'd liked seeing her start to branch out into drama roles too. I mean I was over Carol Baskin & Joe Exotic after about a week & they're practically SNL characters already but hey, it's Kate & I'll be all over anything she does.

Granny Mush
Reactions: 5

Post by Granny Mush »

Guest wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 03:14
Strangearchon wrote:

Yes!

I wouldn't be surprised if she has struggled this year as I don't know anyone who hasn't & her sketches addressing it have been welcome. Certain SNL fans have dismissed Wenowdis...etc but it's precisely how relatable Kate's characters have been that have made them popular with the mainstream.

With The Dropout, I think its probably just a scheduling conflict (or she's lost interest in the time it's taken) although I do wish it had won out simply because it seemed the more interesting of the two imo & I'd liked seeing her start to branch out into drama roles too. I mean I was over Carol Baskin & Joe Exotic after about a week & they're practically SNL characters already but hey, it's Kate & I'll be all over anything she does.
I am whole heartedly with you ladies!

I think her characters meltdowns have been amazing because they have represented how most people feel and have made us laugh at ourselves and the crazy times we live in. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that can take the edge off a horrible situation quite like joining together to laugh at it and acknowledge the ridiculousness you find yourself in!

I don't live in America so I don't know what every day life during the pandemic is like there. I live in a country where we are in strict lockdown that has been going on for quite a while now and between lockdowns we have had fairly tight restrictions. So when I watch SNL and see a sketch with them in a bar watching football, or at a wedding or with a group of friends gathered in a house for birthday celebrations those situations feels so alien to me at this stage, so unrelatable, that it completely distracts me from the comedy. That's not a complaint against SNL or the sketches, it just is what it is. However, Kate's sketches where she has a meltdown or any other sketch where they acknowledge that the world is just weird and a bit crap at the minute are so refreshing and grab's my attention more.

I don't know how Kate is doing in real life (I don't even know how I feel from one hour to the next most days! lol). I've definitely not noted anything that would indicate her heart wasn't in it. Any unusualness I have noticed I have just put down to her and her characters being held back a little bit by restrictions (she's a touchy person who isn't allowed to touch people! That has to be tricky! lol) I am sure she's fed up like the rest of us, but I am glad she's channelling any frustration she might have to make it laugh and I hope if she is feeling a bit icky that these sketches help helping her to vent and get it out of her system.
1 Image

tilted
Reactions: 2

Post by tilted »

Hurry!!! I'm getting Kate withdrawals. 😭

Hey
Reactions:

Post by Hey »

tilted wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 05:18
Hurry!!! I'm getting Kate withdrawals. 😭
So she’s on tonight? (I get a delayed broadcast where I am)

🤞🏼

tilted

Post by tilted »

Kate was there. She just had small parts. I understand it. Just a little sad and anxious about what that could mean. :'( Really great episode though!

Day one
Reactions:

Post by Day one »

tilted wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 08:08
Kate was there. She just had small parts. I understand it. Just a little sad and anxious about what that could mean. :'( Really great episode though!
Hopefully it means she's leaving soon.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Day one wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 09:03
tilted wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 08:08
Hopefully it means she's leaving soon.
But to do what? She's just quit one great role.

Strangearchon
Reactions: 3

Post by Strangearchon »

There are 20 cast members, so though I'd be delighted if every episode were full of sketches centered around Kate, that's quite unrealistic. Besides, Kate is a great ensemble player. There have been other weeks when she only played small roles after a week or two of being a main focus of sketches. So I'm not reading so much into the fact that her roles were small last night, just enjoying re-watching them.
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I wish they got better hosts for (I'm assuming) Kate's remaining eps before she leaves for Australia. Like Nick Jonas really? No offence to him I'm hoping he'll be good but at least get an actor instead.

Granny Mush
Reactions: 5

Post by Granny Mush »

I think when it comes to Kate's time to leave she'll be in more sketches in her final episodes, not less.
1 Image

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

PLEASE VOTE FOR KATE IN THE LCHAT HOT 100

LINK TO VOTE-
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

How many sketches is the host typically in? Since Nick Jonas is host and musical guest, I'm hoping there can be a little less of him in sketches so we can see more of the cast.

I'm curious to hear his solo music but is Nick kind of like a blank slate in regards to sketch content? There's nothing I can associate him with other than his wife and being a Jonas brother. He's regarded as a heartthrob but they played up that angle with Rege-Jean Page pretty extensively.

tilted

Post by tilted »

Kate lives out her dreams of being a carpenter on the open seas. Sea shanty debut @ 3:02. :lol:

apparently
Reactions: 7

Post by apparently »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Ohh I love me some Paula & James!! Miss their magic touch on snl so much. Btw if you’re a fan and haven’t seen it, youtube Hudson Valley Ballers. Kate is even in a couple episodes. They are hilarious.

tilted

Post by tilted »

apparently wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 03:34
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Ohh I love me some Paula & James!! Miss their magic touch on snl so much. Btw if you’re a fan and haven’t seen it, youtube Hudson Valley Ballers. Kate is even in a couple episodes. They are hilarious.
I love those videos! :lol: At this point, I wonder if there are any obscure videos of Kate that I haven't seen, hah.
1 Image

apparently

Post by apparently »

tilted wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 03:48
apparently wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 03:34
Guest wrote:

I love those videos! :lol: At this point, I wonder if there are any obscure videos of Kate that I haven't seen, hah.
Ha! You’re in good company my friend. I know right, I wish I had something unseen left to discover. Fingers crossed Kate will stay working steady for years to come, keeping us in good supply 😄
1 Image

apparently

Post by apparently »

Strangearchon wrote:

That was incredibly beautiful & so perfectly sums up my own feelings about the work Kate does. Thank you for sharing this, retired old academic dyke, I sincerely hope you never shut up 💜❤️

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Call me selfish but seeing other cast members all over social media, on the late night shows & doing print interviews makes me miss Kate 😭

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 02:58
Call me selfish but seeing other cast members all over social media, on the late night shows & doing print interviews makes me miss Kate 😭
Seeing the cosmopolitan photo shoot Eggo, Melissa and Heidi did makes me remember when Kate,Aidy and Cecily were the new hot girls of the show...now especially Kate is more in the background than ever before. We should soak up the last few shows of the month considering she’ll be going away to film her project... there’s a good chance we won’t see her again till gasp... possibly September? Unless news of any other projects or her and Alison comes out in the press before then.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Ego, Melissa, Heidi look so good in that photoshoot!

Lots of Kate this episode. Almost an alarming amount for me at first. 😅 Definitely gonna miss her while she's away filming.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I think we're getting this much to tide us over while she's gone tbh. Next ep is Mar 27th so I'm assuming she'll be away then but I thought the same in Jan so who knows lol.

She's had a great night tonight. Shannon killed me :rofl:

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

What was she holding during the good nights?

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 06:35
It looks like a “ live from New York it’s Saturday night” cue card? Oh god I hope this wasn’t her last show ever 🥺😢

tilted

Post by tilted »

Kate holding the cue card thingy was unusual, right? Perhaps it said "Will this big beautiful bitch of a city ever be what it once was?" because why not take home that line? 😂

I enjoyed the episode. A little OT but them calling Kyle "Cuck" with "the guy from Soul" a million times in Viking Voyager has me dying. 🤣 And the date sketch was so absurd but I like it. The humor and vibe from it feels familiar to me but I'm not sure what from? Maybe something like the movie Four Rooms.

tilted

Post by tilted »

Murder Show is a bop, and murder shows have truly become a normal part of everyday life.

Kate doing poses at :30. :lol: Someone should slow that down and turn it into a magnificent gif. 💃

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

And I don't know where or who else to say this to but... Punkie's butch energy is very attractive. :$

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 06:42
Guest wrote:
It looks like a “ live from New York it’s Saturday night” cue card? Oh god I hope this wasn’t her last show ever 🥺😢

It said “congratulations Eric Eisner on 41 years at snl”

There is a picture of her holding it up on heidis insta story.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

I guess people here aren't the only ones concerned about Kate.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

In fairness, that's a tweet from one person without any likes :hmmm: lol I think Dr. Wenodis' appearances probably resonated with audiences more than it concerned them. But any fan of Kate would naturally care about her.

Gosh no Kate content for who knows how many weeks!

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 16:22
Guest wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 06:42
Guest wrote:

It said “congratulations Eric Eisner on 41 years at snl”

There is a picture of her holding it up on heidis insta story.
Thanks, I've been slow to check instas! Heidi is pretty active.

Reactions:

Post by Guest »

Actually I haven't seen Yesterday. But that's a 20 dollar rental...