The Official Tennis Thread - Part II

Post Reply
GUEST_USER
Member
Reactions: 11
Posts: 405
Joined: 22 Sep 2018, 23:22

The Official Tennis Thread - Part II

#1

Post by GUEST_USER »

Continuation of Part 1.

Happy tennis, everyone!
Image

Originally posted on 2016-01-24 05:33:00

bcd
Reactions:

#2

Post by bcd »

Petra looking good so far today. (fingers crossed)

Saba looks like she's struggling with the change from China. The balls were really flying on her in the first set.

Guest
Reactions:

#3

Post by Guest »

Oh great!
I was afraid this the only tennis thread that survived :ghost:

Guest
Reactions:

#4

Post by Guest »

Thanks to the anon who bumped this thread. I honestly couldn't find it at all and I was already thinking about making another one before Australian Open.

Did you guys follow the mess that the dumb ATP Cup is leading too? It was already known that this would lead to the demise of Hopman Cup, but now it seems like it would be the end of the WTA tournaments in Brisbane and Sydney. Just saw interview with Lindsey Davenport and she said that it's becoming a bit exhausting to see WTA only reacting to what is happening in ATP. Time to show some backbone.

bcd
Reactions:

#5

Post by bcd »

Guest wrote:Thanks to the anon who bumped this thread. I honestly couldn't find it at all and I was already thinking about making another one before Australian Open.

Did you guys follow the mess that the dumb ATP Cup is leading too? It was already known that this would lead to the demise of Hopman Cup, but now it seems like it would be the end of the WTA tournaments in Brisbane and Sydney. Just saw interview with Lindsey Davenport and she said that it's becoming a bit exhausting to see WTA only reacting to what is happening in ATP. Time to show some backbone.
no problem. I just searched "tennis"... was lucky I found the new LChat... I only ever visit one other thread and it wasn't mentioned really.

And, yeah, the ATP Cup is hella stupid for many reasons.
1. Players and fans love the Hopman cup. is it toast?
2. It's a compost sandwich for other tournaments not involved in the ATP cup including all wta tourneys as well as Auckland ATP & Pune ATP which have invested quite significantly in their facilities.
3. And, this is the most annoying for me... ATP seems dead set on capitalizing on the popularity of the team concept by excluding the women in, what seems to me, a heavy handed allusion to their "we're more popular than the women" claim. They've been sniffing the vapours of the Rafa & Roger popularity for too long, and its enabled some conceited sexism. What's gonna happen when they retire? lol.
4. The ATP cup itself is just a shit product. That's a lot of points favouring large countries and countries that have large national budgets. For instance, who's gonna play with Tsitsipas or Dimitrov, two of their more popular guys going forward?

The ATP Cup isn't even a solution in search of a problem; it's a problem in search of a problem.

Guest
Reactions:

#6

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I saw that Tsitsipas and Dimitrov are confirmed to be there and I'm really confused who's going to partner them. The next best ranked Greek and Bulgarian players are not even in top 200, if I'm looking correctly. You'll have an ITF 25k match at one point. (same with countries like Belgium, Austria etc) And all these changes should've happened after the Olympics 2020 imo, because I expect that 2020 to be the year of mass retirements, so after that you could reevaluate the situation better.

The passive behavior of WTA (directors, execs, players) is really annoying though. What's even the point of that players' council? And speaking of that ATP players picked Stakhovsky's misogynistic and homophobic self as representative, so if that doesn't tell you enough..

bcd
Reactions:

#7

Post by bcd »

the ausopen twitter acct is a total sausage fest. Slo mo videos, 30 second clips of the dudes, combined with a marla hooch like approach to marketing the women. k, thx, bye.


bcd
Reactions:

#8

Post by bcd »

Guest wrote:Yeah, I saw that Tsitsipas and Dimitrov are confirmed to be there and I'm really confused who's going to partner them. The next best ranked Greek and Bulgarian players are not even in top 200, if I'm looking correctly. You'll have an ITF 25k match at one point. (same with countries like Belgium, Austria etc) And all these changes should've happened after the Olympics 2020 imo, because I expect that 2020 to be the year of mass retirements, so after that you could reevaluate the situation better.

The passive behavior of WTA (directors, execs, players) is really annoying though. What's even the point of that players' council? And speaking of that ATP players picked Stakhovsky's misogynistic and homophobic self as representative, so if that doesn't tell you enough..
Agree. Wish some of the players would step up to the leadership mantle needed

Guest
Reactions:

#9

Post by Guest »

Greet Minnen (GF of Van Uytvanck) playing her first WTA event (ranked 270) qualified as has won two MD matches in Hobart. Plays Cornet in the QFs.

Guest
Reactions:

#10

Post by Guest »

I'd be surprised, if Halep goes anywhere near defending her points from AO 2018. Her draw is brutal and there's a huge chance she will bite it against Kanepi first round, if the Estonian is in a good form. Though I don't think Kanepi has played any of the pre AO tournaments, so maybe she is not in her best condition.

The only positive side for Halep is that the players who are close to her in the ranking also have lots of points to defend (sf for Kerber and title for Woz), but maybe I shouldn't rule out Osaka for the #1 battle. That would be her first slam as a GS champion though, so it's going to be interesting how she will cope with the pressure.

bcd
Reactions:

#11

Post by bcd »

^yeah, very interesting draw for Halep. Also heard from the commentators that her tournament start in Sydney is the latest for her in a long time, and that she took a long time off at Christmas kind of savouring the success of the previous year; so, seems like she may be a bit undercooked compared to previous years. Add in the back injury and she has some significant uncertainties.

on another topic, this article details a lot of politics of the ATP, especially their president. apparently Gimelstob still has significant sway in that bureaucracy and is out for Kermode's blood. The ATP players, led by the hormonal Novak Djokovic, voted to keep him in his job in December despite the charges he faces in LA. Any lawyers here?... how is gimelstob allowed to travel? Very worthwhile read:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2019/01/...pite-impending/

Also, the uncertainty around the ATP president made me wonder if the ATP Cup idea was a panic move by him to appease the players in some way.

Angie/Petra back on!


Guest
Reactions:

#12

Post by Guest »

Shame for Kvitova and Kerber that the weather rally isn't being kind for them right now. Unless it finally properly stops I can see them having to come back tomorrow, which isn't ideal in the run up to a slam to have to expend more energy than the minimum needed.

The ATP Cup shit is utter nonsense, not only does it badly impact the WTA events in Australia it also harms their own events elsewhere which have invested good money in their facilities. It's just about creating a vehicle for the top players and fuck the lower ranked men and all the women. The WTA used to make more money and be more popular than the men's, and soon enough the men will lose Roger and Novak and they might get a hell of a reality check. These things are all peaks and trough, you might be on top at one point it never lasts.

The Australian open draw for the women looks tasty. Some really tough matches from the start for a lot of the big seeds. Venus-Buzarnescu could be a stonker or a real shit fest. I'm not expecting much from Halep, a herniated disk is no joke especially for a player who's success is so rooted in her movement.

Guest
Reactions:

#13

Post by Guest »

Has anyone seen if Vanek has been on to coach Kvitova in Australia? In the Czech press I've seen her saying about maybe trying something different with that to see if it might help her in the slams. To problem solve on her own and handle her nerves and calm herself down. To take more control of the situation. Her nerves in slams have changed because it means more to her now than before her attack and she seemed to indicate that she wanted to try some different things to find the right way to just be calmer and more relaxed in the slams like she used to be.

I haven't watched much of her matches aside from today's against Kerber and its not a good one to assess whether she's coaching herself on court because of the breaks in play and the fact that aside from dropping her serve in the first points back out after the second delay she's been on top.

Guest
Reactions:

#14

Post by Guest »

Not sure about Vanek in Sydney, but he did come on in Brisbane. But so far in Sydney I haven't seen him on in the matches I've watched with Kvitova. Her matches have been easier in Sydney though all 2 set wins and I've seen plenty of easy 2 setters when she doesn't call him on. She's not like some players who like to call their coach on at certain points every match, Petra calls him on when she feels she needs him when she's on top and cruising we never really see him.

Would be interesting to see her try something new in the run up to slams, I know Pliskova was trying in Brisbane to call on Stubbsy less and try and work things out herself. It's not like she has anything to lose by trying something different, it can't be much worse than last year.

We know from her two Wimbledon title and her Olympic medal that Petra can step up on the biggest stage, it just seems since he attack that she wants the slams so much she just builds it p too much in her mind and can't play anywhere near her best. But I can't blame her for that, she went through something awful and the fact she can play at all is amazing the fact she's actually back in the top ten and winning titles is incomprehensible to me after seeing those pics of her hand after the attack.

Guest
Reactions:

#15

Post by Guest »

Sucks that Angie lost to Petra, but nice to see Petra playing well again. Hopefully Angie should be fresh for the Aussie Open, especially since she plays on Monday. So happy that all my favs will be playing in Melbourne again (poor Lucie tho).

Guest
Reactions:

#16

Post by Guest »

Yikes, Andy Murray retiring this year. Seems like he wants to do it after Wimbledon, but said it's very likely that Australian Open would be his last tournament, because the pain is unbearable. I was the anon who posted about mass retirements after the Olympics in 2020 and Murray was in my mind as one of the players retiring, but I never realized the level of pain he is going through. Very sad.

Guest
Reactions:

#17

Post by Guest »

yahy i am so so ready for ao to begin

Guest
Reactions:

#18

Post by Guest »

Idk, if the polish anon migrated here, but yay Swiatek in the AO main draw.

Too bad Kostyuk lost and won't participate (haven't heard anything about someone pulling out of the tournament in the women's draw), but it looks she's pressuring herself way too much. Not to give my expert advice, but it feels like for her it'd be healthier to go back to ITF level and be more patient in her transition to WTA tournaments. Even someone like Danilovic is struggling post her WTA title. She's barely won any matches. I just don't see the past repeating itself anytime soon and the tour having top players so young.

Guest
Reactions:

#19

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Yikes, Andy Murray retiring this year. Seems like he wants to do it after Wimbledon, but said it's very likely that Australian Open would be his last tournament, because the pain is unbearable. I was the anon who posted about mass retirements after the Olympics in 2020 and Murray was in my mind as one of the players retiring, but I never realized the level of pain he is going through. Very sad.
X2 He was in tears during the announcement. :(

Guest
Reactions:

#20

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Yikes, Andy Murray retiring this year. Seems like he wants to do it after Wimbledon, but said it's very likely that Australian Open would be his last tournament, because the pain is unbearable. I was the anon who posted about mass retirements after the Olympics in 2020 and Murray was in my mind as one of the players retiring, but I never realized the level of pain he is going through. Very sad.
Yeah, poor guy was in tears. Awful way to end a career, hope he can at least make it to Wimbledon but he says he can't even put on socks without feeling pain.

Guest
Reactions:

#21

Post by Guest »

gutted for Andy. I remember last summer we had a troll in here minimizing his injuries. Hip and back surgeries are insane. That he came back from back surgery to win 9 titles in 2016 including Wimbledon, Olympics, and Year End Championships was an absolutely incredible effort. Also, what a guy. He will be missed. I hope he makes a quick transition to broadcasting or coaching.

Guest
Reactions:

#22

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Idk, if the polish anon migrated here, but yay Swiatek in the AO main draw.

Too bad Kostyuk lost and won't participate (haven't heard anything about someone pulling out of the tournament in the women's draw), but it looks she's pressuring herself way too much. Not to give my expert advice, but it feels like for her it'd be healthier to go back to ITF level and be more patient in her transition to WTA tournaments. Even someone like Danilovic is struggling post her WTA title. She's barely won any matches. I just don't see the past repeating itself anytime soon and the tour having top players so young.
There are few Polish anons here, but yay, for Iga! I think it's a pretty good advice. I'm a bit worried that with few missteps in the next months her motivation could go down, but we will see.

Holy shit, Andy, this is the worst, my fave people in tennis are leaving me. Lucie, Aga, now Andy. Stop it right now!

Guest
Reactions:

#23

Post by Guest »

Murray's voice will be missed. Not that he can't be even more outspoken now, but I think he definitely changed the game in that aspect. I'm not naive enough to believe that most ATP players are not misogynists still, but Murray's support and outspokenness proved that it's not impossible for a man to be like that. I feel like before Murray, it was easier for male players (and other men involved in tennis) to talk shit about women and often they were excused with "well, he's a man, he doesn't know better" bs.

I don't think Andy should force himself to play until Wimbledon though. He seems like he's in a lot of pain, so it's just not worthy. He said that even doing simple things in his regular life could become hard, if he continues, so he shouldn't risk it imo. No need to harm yourself just to prove you're a fighter and other cliche shit like that.

Guest
Reactions:

#24

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Murray's voice will be missed. Not that he can't be even more outspoken now, but I think he definitely changed the game in that aspect. I'm not naive enough to believe that most ATP players are not misogynists still, but Murray's support and outspokenness proved that it's not impossible for a man to be like that. I feel like before Murray, it was easier for male players (and other men involved in tennis) to talk shit about women and often they were excused with "well, he's a man, he doesn't know better" bs.

I don't think Andy should force himself to play until Wimbledon though. He seems like he's in a lot of pain, so it's just not worthy. He said that even doing simple things in his regular life could become hard, if he continues, so he shouldn't risk it imo. No need to harm yourself just to prove you're a fighter and other cliche shit like that.
IA. Losing Andy is a big punch to the gut. There will not be another male player, let alone one in the upper echelon of the game who will go to bat for women and women's sport like he did whenever it was called for. Andy did every time, without a second thought of the reception to his MRA peers on tour, and without expecting anything in return. With Stakhovsky back on the player council, ATP President Chris Kermode potentially getting the ax and noted woman beater Justin Gimelstob being tapped to take that spot if he isn't made to pay for violently assaulting people, the ATP is poised to go from bad to worse.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2019/01/...pite-impending/

Guest
Reactions:

#25

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Yikes, Andy Murray retiring this year. Seems like he wants to do it after Wimbledon, but said it's very likely that Australian Open would be his last tournament, because the pain is unbearable. I was the anon who posted about mass retirements after the Olympics in 2020 and Murray was in my mind as one of the players retiring, but I never realized the level of pain he is going through. Very sad.
I feel so bad for him, he's such a nice guy off the court and a really positive voice on the ATP tour. But equally like was said on the past thread hip injuries are horrendous, no one has come back from this in any sport There is no blue print to follow for recovery you just have to fly bind. Hips are such delicate area, there is so much going on there and then add in that they're also connected to your legs and back. It's possible that his hip injury may have started as a compensation injury from when he has his back problems and he had to play around that and then eventually had surgery.

I think the best that can be hope for him now is that he can live in regular life with no pain. I wonder if he's interested in coaching, he certainly has an immense tennis brain and knowledge as well as lost of experience to share it'd be great to see him share that at some point.

Guest
Reactions:

#26

Post by Guest »

first page of the tennis thread, and only one classic gif?!
Image

Guest
Reactions:

#27

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Murray's voice will be missed. Not that he can't be even more outspoken now, but I think he definitely changed the game in that aspect. I'm not naive enough to believe that most ATP players are not misogynists still, but Murray's support and outspokenness proved that it's not impossible for a man to be like that. I feel like before Murray, it was easier for male players (and other men involved in tennis) to talk shit about women and often they were excused with "well, he's a man, he doesn't know better" bs.

I don't think Andy should force himself to play until Wimbledon though. He seems like he's in a lot of pain, so it's just not worthy. He said that even doing simple things in his regular life could become hard, if he continues, so he shouldn't risk it imo. No need to harm yourself just to prove you're a fighter and other cliche shit like that.
I get the feeling he always knew from the beginning this comeback had a low chance of success, but he wanted to try and see what would happen so he wouldn't spend the rest of his life wondering what might have been. He has two young daughters and I'm sure he wants to run around and play with them and be healthy and not have this impact his life outside of tennis. Stopping seems the sensible choice, I can understand him wanting to have one little last hurrah at Wimbledon though even if it probably seems ill-advised.

zxq
Reactions:

#28

Post by zxq »

Andy's daughters are lucky to have a father like him

Guest
Reactions:

#29

Post by Guest »

Ash vs. Petra in the Sydney final :overmoon:

Guest
Reactions:

#30

Post by Guest »

GUEST_USER wrote:Continuation of Part 1.

Happy tennis, everyone!
Image

Originally posted on 2016-01-24 05:33:00
marena :wub:
Image

Guest
Reactions:

#31

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Ash vs. Petra in the Sydney final  :overmoon:
I do feel Ash has a chance to one day win the Aussie Open, she seems to really enjoy playing at home and it raises her game. she embraces the occasion instead of being badly inhibited like Stosur and so many of the other Australian players.

Great to see Petra starting the year well after her form dropped off last year (I think mainly due to fatigue). I think it might help her to move straight from her to the Aussie open, last year she won a bunch of back to back events. Whereas in the slams she took the week before off and seemed to lose her rhythm. this might do her lots of good and help her just move into the slam in good rhythm and form.

Guest
Reactions:

#32

Post by Guest »

Que? Just saw that Petra is in the final. I thought the semifinal would be played tomorrow with all the rain delays Petra finally playing well for the first time in months and I haven't watched any of her matches

Guest
Reactions:

#33

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Que? Just saw that Petra is in the final. I thought the semifinal would be played tomorrow with all the rain delays Petra finally playing well for the first time in months and I haven't watched any of her matches
Mmm, it's working so maybe don't watch :P

Guest
Reactions:

#34

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:first page of the tennis thread, and only one classic gif?!
Image
Image

Guest
Reactions:

#35

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Que? Just saw that Petra is in the final. I thought the semifinal would be played tomorrow with all the rain delays Petra finally playing well for the first time in months and I haven't watched any of her matches
Mmm, it's working so maybe don't watch :P
That-is-so-disrespectful-sloane.gif

Guest
Reactions:

#36

Post by Guest »

Image
Image
ImageRun Run!

Guest
Reactions:

#37

Post by Guest »

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Guest
Reactions:

#38

Post by Guest »

Image
Image

Image

Guest
Reactions:

#39

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: ImageRun Run!
this reminds me, is it true Radwanska is going to be on dancing with the stars?

Guest
Reactions:

#40

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
GUEST_USER wrote:Continuation of Part 1.

Happy tennis, everyone!
Image

Originally posted on 2016-01-24 05:33:00
marena :wub:
Image
I miss them :(

Guest
Reactions:

#41

Post by Guest »

Sir Andy relegated to the 3rd show court for what could be his last match. not cool. I can see what they were trying to do, giving him a prime time Australia slot, between Rafa and Roger, but come on; as if you can't push Roger or Rafa off of Rod Laver for one match? I'm sure Rafa has played a few matches on Court arena, but I don't think roger's been off the centre court in years.

Some smart scheduling though... both Barty and Kvitty scheduled for night matches on day 1.
https://ausopen.com/schedule#!8006

Guest
Reactions:

#42

Post by Guest »

ladies, brace yourselves: Tennys Sandgren won the NZ tournament. :X

Guest
Reactions:

#43

Post by Guest »

@tumcarayol
Can't say that I was expecting Sascha Zverev to passionately back equal prize money today, but here we are:

"I'm really proud to say really I play a sport where it doesn't matter who you are, it doesn't matter where you're from, you have the same chances, women or men."

Lol, still not Zverev's biggest fan, but nice to know that he thinks that.

f,ml
Reactions:

#44

Post by f,ml »

is that him backing...

Guest
Reactions:

#45

Post by Guest »

He ain't the new Andy

Guest
Reactions:

#46

Post by Guest »

I'm guessing there's more to this quote, or the question itself to indicate that he's "passionate" supporter of equal pay. He would be an idiot, if he wasn't supporting equal pay, because Zverev saw it first hand in the last two years how much women dedicate to the sport and Kerber might not be able to serve 200km/h serves, but that still didn't stop her from saving his ass on multiple occasions during Hopman Cup

Interesting if there were mass questions about equal pay or something during the press day. If yes I'm ready to cringe.

Guest
Reactions:

#47

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:@tumcarayol
Can't say that I was expecting Sascha Zverev to passionately back equal prize money today, but here we are:

"I'm really proud to say really I play a sport where it doesn't matter who you are, it doesn't matter where you're from, you have the same chances, women or men."

Lol, still not Zverev's biggest fan, but nice to know that he thinks that.
def trying to slot in as the new Andy; I'm sure he noticed how much love sir Andy has been getting from the women. jk.

from what I've seen he's always been genuinely respectful and event reverent of the German ladies.

Guest
Reactions:

#48

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I'm guessing there's more to this quote, or the question itself to indicate that he's "passionate" supporter of equal pay. He would be an idiot, if he wasn't supporting equal pay, because Zverev saw it first hand in the last two years how much women dedicate to the sport and Kerber might not be able to serve 200km/h serves, but that still didn't stop her from saving his ass on multiple occasions during Hopman Cup

Interesting if there were mass questions about equal pay or something during the press day. If yes I'm ready to cringe.
I did see him answer about the prospect of playing mixed doubles, and he said he wasn't planning on playing on tour but he hoped that Angie would play with him at the Olympics.

Guest
Reactions:

#49

Post by Guest »

dear lord is Petra gorgeous. :wub:

Guest
Reactions:

#50

Post by Guest »

Petra loves to test me hopefully she won't be toast in her first round match. That smile though.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ffvideo, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], grouch3265, Itsok, Saki888, Urrgrrl55, Xena, Yadom and 1640 guests